Guest jeffvyain

just got my first DSLR a couple weeks ago (nikon D1h). Borrowed a buddy's 15-30mm Sigma and snapped off a few pics late tonight after my girl and i got fucked up... here's a couple of pictures from our impromtu photo shoot...

ManaPhotoshoot1074.jpg

3.jpg

Theres a depth of field scale right on the front of the lens. Using that scale you can preset the lens for instance and this is just off the top of my head tri-x (400 asa) 1/125 at f22 35 mm camera with a 35mm lens if you use the scale on the lens should give you everything from a little over 3 ft to infinity in focus. As you open up your depth of field gets shallower. Use the scale on the lens.

I had to start an account once I found this thread. There's some great stuff on here. Here's some shots of mine. Tell me what you think, anything that you think can be improved?

on the airplane to Australia - sunrise

Australia2010.jpg

Oceanbeach Pier

allimages143.jpg

Chinese New Year

liondance104.jpg

Middle of nowhere, New Zealand

7491650-R1-035-16.jpg

Theres a depth of field scale right on the front of the lens. Using that scale you can preset the lens for instance and this is just off the top of my head tri-x (400 asa) 1/125 at f22 35 mm camera with a 35mm lens if you use the scale on the lens should give you everything from a little over 3 ft to infinity in focus. As you open up your depth of field gets shallower. Use the scale on the lens.

hmm I'm not quite sure if I get it.. I tried adjusting the scale to 3ft / 0.9m and shot several images from about 1m away, resulting in this. the focus seems quite good on the wall which was about 1.3m away :confused:

I did get some decent images, mind that I was just playing around inside so these are nothing that interesting, just test shots

yas02.jpg

yas03.jpg

Mike maybe these photos can clear it up a bit

IMG_9420.jpg

Heres my depth of field scale on a 35 mm lens. I have it set at f22 and if you look at the depth of field scale on the lens I have it set so that everything from about 3.5 ft to infinity will be in focus. So if I were out on the street and wanted everything from 3.5 ft to infinity to be in focus I would pre set my lens like this and just shoot away.

Heres a close up showing how the pre focus would work at f22 then at f16.

IMG_9422.jpg

If you notice when you've opend up a stop you've lost some depth of field.

IMG_9423.jpg

It now show you that everything from about 4.5 ft to infinity will be in focus.

I hope this helped.

Mike maybe these photos can clear it up a bit

thanks for that, ok I think I understand it... but I'm still not sure why it focused on the wall and not on the object. heres the scale on mine:

yas04.jpg

so if I'm shooting an object from pretty much exactly 2.6ft, why would it focus closer to 4ft away?

yea I guess it has to be off a bit then because I'm quite sure about the distance, I think I'll do some tests to determine it better and just try to shoot with a smaller aperture.

thanks for your help fro

Honestly I'm horrible at guessing distances...I just use the little diamond thing in the viewfinder.

I think there might be something wrong with ze diamond in mine cause it looks more like a stain or something, that or I just dont know how to look at it :o

congrats Carlito!

what did you submit? and you're in some final now?