I'm considering picking up a quality rangefinder in the next couple of months and was wondering who shoots what, how they like it, etc?

I'd love to get a leica m6 or something similar any suggestions??

I've heard the voitlangder bessa whatever the newest one is, is a good camera any experience?

I'm considering picking up a quality rangefinder in the next couple of months and was wondering who shoots what, how they like it, etc?

I'd love to get a leica m6 or something similar any suggestions??

I've heard the voitlangder bessa whatever the newest one is, is a good camera any experience?

M6 all the way

Badass.

Dogs and layers...doesnt get much better :D

That wasn't done in Photoshop, all one picture. If that's what you meant by layers.

Nikon users: I'm looking to consolidate my lenses, would I be happy with having just my Sigma 10-20 as my wide, a Nikon 18-200 VR as my zoom, and a 50mm prime (tne 1.8 one) for my low-light stuff? I have too many lenses right now, and I'm just dying to buy that 18-200 VR.

That wasn't done in Photoshop, all one picture. If that's what you meant by layers.

Nikon users: I'm looking to consolidate my lenses, would I be happy with having just my Sigma 10-20 as my wide, a Nikon 18-200 VR as my zoom, and a 50mm prime (tne 1.8 one) for my low-light stuff? I have too many lenses right now, and I'm just dying to buy that 18-200 VR.

I believe he was referring to the depth of the image. All the interesting related things going on in the background supporting the foreground.

For a quality rangefinder, there is no reason to buy an expensive new Leica.

A vintage M3, M2, M1 would suffice for all purposes unless you like using those built-in meters. Besides, the older Leicas were much better built than the new things. People tell me that their new MP's rewind levers break off and such.

Also, aside from the MP, I don't believe Leica uses a brass body anymore.

The Voigtlanders--made by Japan's Cosina--are rather plasticky in all aspects, however, they are the "quality" entry-level rangefinder, which is an extinct form of camera anyways.

But for me, I love the simplicity of the Leica III series. Add a nice viewfinder if desired and one's all set.

LeicaIIIf-chiffres-rouges.jpg

Theres been a roll or two thru that puppy. I read an ariticle where Garry said it wasn't so much the finished photograph being the art for him but just the act of taking the picture.

That was also Henri Cartier-Bresson's attitude. He never even printed his own photos!

I could never give up that end of it on my personal work because I'm the only one that knows exactly how I want it to look.

Ansel Adams said taking the photograph was like writing a musical score and processing the negative and making the print was like performing the piece.

In my opinion making your own prints is the only way you can see your vision through exactly the way you saw it.

DUM, taken with the yashica?

I developed my first film and every single shot was blurred :o guess the focus isn't that accurate, I tried to estimate but everything was focused 0.5m further.. will develop another film tomorrow..

can you elaborate?

I think Winogrand said it well in an interview:

"I generally deal with something happening. So let's say that what's out there is a narrative. Often enough, the picture plays with the question of what actually is happening. Almost the way puns function. They call the meaning of things into question. You know, why do you laugh at a pun? Language is basic to all of our existences in this world. We depend on it. So a pun calls the meaning of a word into question, and it upsets us tremendously. We laugh because suddenly we find out we're not going to get killed. I think a lot of things work that way with photographs."

Mike, you dont really have to estimate too much, just use the little diamond in the viewfinder. Just turn the focusing ring until the two images (the one inside the diamond and the floating image beside it) line up into one image. Unless you already knew that...but still my first roll was pretty bad.