DUM these all belong to the sufu meetup photos thread.

Damn though they're nice pictures. And damned if I personally ever know where to put my own pics.

photoshoot updated: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jremetirphoto/1156405317/

Damn Carl, really impressive. I notice you that you tend to use a lot of shadows in your photos, and that they're also usually very warm. Do you do a lot of this in Camera Raw, Photoshop or are they purposefully slightly underexposed?

I'm curious what your method is to achieve your aesthetic.

Thanks dum and airfrog...in the upcoming month im going to edit them into a real story and ill post that when i finish it.

Whisky - I shoot raw and underexpose by a full stop, whether indoors or outdoors. From there i bring the shadows down and the highlights up in the PS Raw convertor, add a little contrast and maybe a few points of saturation. Ive developed a good system to where i dont even really "tone" my pictures so much as i just convert them and do a small "S curve" in curves.

I enjoy the underexposed, super saturated, zero shadow detail look when im shooting color. B/W i like as much detail as possible so i shoot it very differently, but i havent shot film in over a year, other then goof off stuff.

a good lens and a tripod :)

you just need to test it to see how you can get different result. set aperture depending on what kind of sharpness you want, higher if you want the whole pic to be sharp, lower if you want more depth or background blur. low shutterspeed, mid-high ISO, white balance depending on lighting.

Carl being a guy that shot a ton of Kodachrome so I tend to expose to the left side of the histogram also. I would rather hold the highlights most of the time unless theres sump'm really important down there in those shadows. Always got the best saturation with Kodachrome about 1/3 under.

I definitely see a book in your future. Very strong work.

Whisky - I shoot raw and underexpose by a full stop, whether indoors or outdoors. From there i bring the shadows down and the highlights up in the PS Raw convertor, add a little contrast and maybe a few points of saturation. Ive developed a good system to where i dont even really "tone" my pictures so much as i just convert them and do a small "S curve" in curves.

Carl do you use any filters at all when you shoot? fill in flash etc?

every shot of yours is really dramatic

Carl do you use any filters at all when you shoot? fill in flash etc?

every shot of yours are really dramatic

No filters, except a UV filter, but thats mostly to protect the glass and no flash.

Id say the "drama" comes from the use of light and understanding exposure and understanding how the two can work together to achieve what i want in a photograph.