I'm looking at improving my photography skills... My family has a Canon Rebel T3i that no one really uses, and I just wanted to be able to take better shots when we go on vacation trips... I bought a 50mm lens this summer to mess around with it but never got around to feeling comfortable enough with the camera, so I put it down and never got to pick it up again. Do you guys have any advice besides going out there and taking more pictures?

We can give you all the advice in the world, but it wont make a difference unless you go out and take pictures. I will admit 'studying' other photographers work most certainly helps you take better pictures as you have a concept/picture already in mind and although it may not come out right or be the same you will have tried something new (hopefully).

I'm looking at improving my photography skills... My family has a Canon Rebel T3i that no one really uses, and I just wanted to be able to take better shots when we go on vacation trips... I bought a 50mm lens this summer to mess around with it but never got around to feeling comfortable enough with the camera, so I put it down and never got to pick it up again. Do you guys have any advice besides going out there and taking more pictures?

Well What I did was rent a book from the library called intro to digital SLR photography.... learned about iso, shutter speed, lighting and all that then just started shooting... If you have the love/passion for it you will learn it in no time. If you are just faking it to make it will be harder. Once you understand the triangle of exposure and get use to good framing you are set. Also learn how to edit photos (not hard)

I agree with the tips people have said, they're very helpful and in one way or another I'm sure almost every photographer goes through this phase at the start. What kind of pictures do you like and do you have any favourite photographers? After learning the basics you may want to look into their work and critique them as a learning exercise. The more you study photographs the more things will make sense and because its such a broad genre there's endless possibilities of what you want to pursuit. If you provide a few examples of the pictures you like we may be able to provide you a more detailed direction. Obviously everyone will have different preferences so it will be up to you to choose which one suits your needs best. Good luck :)!

@Macky.

I'm a photo student and what I've learnt most from is looking at other photographers and trying to find out what I like! Check out photo books and study that shit. Got to your local book store and just look at books. After years I'm finally starting to figure out what I like, and WHY I like it. That's an important part as well.

Last year we had a workshop with Nadav Kander(Check him out if you don't know him). He's a really great guy and an awesome photographer. One of my biggest inspirations right now.

I learned a whole lot from that workshop. I learned to trust my eyes and guts and just leave my head out the whole thing. Things like compositions and all the technical stuff is the easy part. The hard part for me is figuring out how I want to convey my message. And why I'm attracted to something. And don't just look at photography, study art and everything that gives you a good feeling. There's a reason you like it!

I would have thought there would be a huge difference between MF and 35mm mainly due to DOF? Anyway how much do you guys spend on film and developing per year? I've been wanting to get into it but it seems like its going to cost a lot of money.

I may have been a bit misleading with my explanation, because there is certainly a significant difference in quality and look/feel between the two formats. MF is a higher fidelity film in that the quality is "better" by simply being larger, but as far as how the 2 films interpret light and color, it's more of a personal preference.

I pay upwards of around $18/roll for developing and hi-res scans. Some people will offer low-res scans for cheaper but I find it's becoming rarer because it costs them the same amount of labor to do it either way. Taking into consideration a single roll of MF film costs roughly $5, and there's usually an extra charge for B&W developing, it essentially costs you between $1.50-2.00 every time you press the shutter.

It's definitely an investment, and it's really up to the individual to decide whether or not it's worth the money. I personally enjoy the results that only MF film can produce, but I'm also pretty selective about what I choose to use my Hasselblad for and what to do digitally. I probably developed 20 rolls last year, but clicked the digital shutter 20,000.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'll probably just invest on a different body, it will end up costing the same as film and development if I shoot a roll per week.

Here's a few different links to a couple of photographers I look up to on flickr. I would much rather just shoot MF, but as a broke college student I just can't afford it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68156622@N05/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13581586@N08/

(He uses a bit of 8x10 and 4x5 so you would need to click the images to see which are MF)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexeydubinsky/

Also want to say that it's complete bullshit that Penn State UP doesn't have a darkroom.. you'd figure one of the biggest colleges would have one. 

Edited by laxlife1234

Right now a pretty much only do digital, But I really want to start shooting film. I think I'll jump straight to large format. That shit is so amazing. We got a camera I can use at school, and a ark room for B&W. A scanner too!

Right now a pretty much only do digital, But I really want to start shooting film. I think I'll jump straight to large format. That shit is so amazing. We got a camera I can use at school, and a ark room for B&W. A scanner too!

i wouldn't jump straight into large format, especially because the view camera is a bitch and three quarters. and then film get's more and more expensive as you go larger. 10 sheets of portra 400 in 4x5" costs roughly $50 (add in developing or scanning costs and you're up to $10-15 per shot)

here's a 4x5 scan from about october when i just learned how to use the view camera (the vertical perspective isn't fixed). i develop b+w and scan on my own so it's quite a lot more affordable

still haven't shot color though, because of financial reasons

2a5xbmu.jpg

Edited by fatKARLOS

how much do you guys spend on film and developing per year? I've been wanting to get into it but it seems like its going to cost a lot of money.

not sure if where you're from or if there's a sam's club near you, but i take my rolls there and it costs $3.00 to develop/scan them to a disk. not extremely great quality but for recreational stuff you can't go wrong.. i've posted a few shots on here, all of which have been scanned at sams club.

Does anyone shoot medium format here? I am looking to get into it from digital. Should I shoot 35mm, or skip right to the analog big leagues?

I have a Hasselblad 500 C/M and honestly I don't think I use enough.

Where I live a roll of 400 Portra goes for $17 NZD and developing that one roll and scanned to a disc is $18 NZD which is the cheapest I could find. It's just so costly as well as lugging it around is annoying so I leave my Hassy for particular shoots or outings.

MF is a pretty big step and personally I feel like I went into it far too quickly without knowing a lot about film in the first place whilst I was shooting 35mm, the only reason I got into MF was because I got a bargain on the Hassy so I couldn't say no.

I would without a doubt go into 35mm first and dip your toes into film, just find a cheap camera off eBay or in your granddad's attic, pick up a cheap roll of film and see what you come up with and if you like it after two rolls or so see what MF cameras you want and how much they're going to cost as well as how much you THINK you're going to use it in the long run.

Edited by zayyarwinthein