i loved the 5DIII but the decision came down to the fact that with my first born due in 6 days and me probably becoming one of those paranoid, overpacking first time parents, the big DSLR will be left in the closet more often than not. after everything i read about the NEX-7 i figured it was a good enough system for a relative noob like me. so far i'm not disappointed with it.

the lens choices for this camera are insane and i'm probably picking up a 30+ year old Nikkor in the near future. while AF is practical and in many cases essential, i'm getting a kick out of using the focus peaking feature in MF. i guess i'm a sucker for the hard road (i even ditched a car with a dual clutch tranny for a traditional manual).

I hear ya, wise decision. Lugging diaper bags, strollers, etc the last thing you new is a brick camera. I've been there! I hardly ever take my 5d outside anymore. There is supposed to be a really cool looking canon mirrorless system coming out next month too.

I hear ya, wise decision. Lugging diaper bags, strollers, etc the last thing you new is a brick camera. I've been there! I hardly ever take my 5d outside anymore. There is supposed to be a really cool looking canon mirrorless system coming out next month too.

I'm interested in seeing what Canon is gonna come out with as well. I got my NEX-7 w/ kit lens through a friend who works @ Sony so it was too good a deal to pass up. The 2 things that sold me on the NEX system was how prolific lens adapters were and their focus peaking feature for MF. I'm looking at getting a Nikkor 35mm f1.4 next!

nice, those are tack sharp. If you didn't tell me you took them with the nex, I'd assume they were with the 5d mk3. The new system looks really cool (assuming it will look like they're thinking it will) it looks retro but still more modern than the x100...the downside is they think it will be using the gx1 sensor which is larger than the 4/3 system but smaller than the 1.6x crop sensor like in the 60d/7d/t3i etc.

Yes - another happy NEX-7 user... also, have a look at one of those helicoid adapters since you're using legacy glass. reduces the minimum focal distance significantly. pretty cool stuff.

nice, those are tack sharp. If you didn't tell me you took them with the nex, I'd assume they were with the 5d mk3. The new system looks really cool (assuming it will look like they're thinking it will) it looks retro but still more modern than the x100...the downside is they think it will be using the gx1 sensor which is larger than the 4/3 system but smaller than the 1.6x crop sensor like in the 60d/7d/t3i etc.

yeah, everything on this page is with the NEX-7 and Canon FD 50mm f1.2. the rumor photos look pretty cool but hard to grip if it actually turns out that way.

Yes - another happy NEX-7 user... also, have a look at one of those helicoid adapters since you're using legacy glass. reduces the minimum focal distance significantly. pretty cool stuff.

I plan on using SLR over RF lenses - and from what little research I've done, are helicoid adapters primarily for RF lenses? I'm brand new to the NEX and using anything other than Canon gear so any info would be appreciated.

Cheers.

^ thanks man. much appreciated.

my 5d came in the mail today and i'm finally going to retire my rebel xsi/450d. he'll still be used as a back-up camera but nothing more.

here's a test shot:

7558772626_689214f839_c.jpg