It's an incredibly useful program. The develop/editing interface is quite user-friendly and it's a solid program for database management, which is it's other main function.

For $300 though, I say it's a bit steep for the average joe. If you're not into cracked programs and are on a Mac, I'd say pick up Aperture instead. It'll save you $100, has an easy-to-use interface and features many of the same non-destructive editing options that Lightroom does.Blue Marine is an open-source option. Bibble and LightZone are also options that you could give a whirl.

Try downloading trial versions too to get an idea of what you like best.

^Congrats! Manual mode is easy once you get the hang of it. Image looks to be a little overexposed though. But keep experimenting! As for the lens, you'll get used to it after a while. I am fine with my 50mm but I sometimes question myself if I should have gone with the 35mm lens, but too late!! I love my 50.

Weird work schedule=weird shooting schedule, so i haven't gotten much of late. Last couple weeks or so:

6099550754_cc983853e7.jpg

Light Trails 1 by Killypants, on Flickr

6099003799_b4ae1ed092.jpg

Portland Night by Killypants, on Flickr

6099549532_39a677c710.jpg

Hooligans by Killypants, on Flickr

6099548644_8a7e69d909.jpg

Timbers Army Fisheye by Killypants, on Flickr

6099548342_e5a23a18b6.jpg

Columbia River Gorge by Killypants, on Flickr

6099547426_d171c7d846.jpg

Congas HDR by Killypants, on Flickr

I've been lurking in this thread for the longest time! Thank you all for sharing such fantastic images & providing inspiration!

I just got back from vacation, so I thought I would contribute something finally! Thanks to riff, fabgeek & lax for their tips and suggestions! And all comments/criticisms welcome! :)

loon1.jpg

holdingthesun.jpg

chicksandmom.jpg

dave1g.jpg

view3o.jpg

wkayak2v2.jpg