5773542644_fbd175f8b0_z.jpg

5773365094_6cf771669a_z.jpg

5sm.jpg

Also, it may be a little late for me to chime in on the ND filter talk a few pages back, but in order to do daytime long exposures, you're going to want to have at least 10 stops worth of filters, whether all in one or stacked. In broad daylight at 100 ISO, 10 stops will get you around 60 seconds (maybe) even at f/22. You can generally push it much further during times of day when the light is much less harsh. At early morning, I've been able to get 4 minute exposures out at f/11. To achieve the water smoothing in the example photo, you're looking at a minimum of about 1-2 minutes. This of course all depends on how choppy or wavy the water is. For instance, a lake may only take 30 seconds to get smooth, while a wavy beach may take 4 minutes +.

As for filters, I've been using one of these for a few years:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752927-REG/B_W_1066177_77mm_110_Solid_Neutral.html

It's been through a lot, and still tough as ever. If you can afford it, a square filter holder system with some Lee or Cokin filters is the best bet, because you can combine them with graduated filters to compensate bright skies, adding color, etc.

Hope that helps

malaujai- Excellent shots! And sick lens!

Japaslavian- Sick pictures as well! Second picture would have been better without that thing in the way imo.

Everyone else, great shots!! This page is awesome!!

Anyways, like I have mentioned I am experimenting with HDR, so if you don't like it please tell me why and give me some criticism because I could use it, instead of saying not my taste.

5779375952_5d87a0e384_z.jpg

(This one is a bit over-done, but I actually like the way it turned out).

5778832599_5d09015a2f_z.jpg

5778837103_563667f6c7_z.jpg

Grr... watermark

HDR pictures

I hope this doesn't come off as really harsh, because it's not meant to be but...

I would say the HDR effect is coming off more as way to make fairly uninteresting photos more interesting. I would equivocate it taking random, seemingly un-composed photos with super grainy B&W film.

The first image is probably the most successful as far as composition but the HDR effect hardly comes through other than the lights, and probably could have been just as good had you just taken one shot.

Like you said, the second one is a bit overdone, but I'm mostly just lost. I think the Honda is supposed to be main subject, but with so many heavy textures and saturated colors, I just keep wandering around the frame and don't stop anywhere. It's also a little bothering because the car is facing the left, but the negative space is to the right.

I'm having a similar problem with the third. There's a lot to look at, but nothing really to see. There's power lines, tree branches, leaves, clouds, rooftops(?). Someone told me something pretty profound and it's been a driving force in my compositions ever since. He said that it's not what you include in the frame that makes a good photograph, but what you leave out. Next time you go out shooting, spend a little more time composing. Just like in clothing, god is in the details and I guarantee if you spend some time minimizing and stripping down your subjects, you'll come up with something you're more proud of.

blah blah tl:dr, but I hope that's helpful. Everyone has permission to rip my stuff apart too.

I don't wanna go back 10pages each time I up some new pics,just to see which one's I have to upload and which are already up!

if you upload pictures on the regular, get a flickr account so you can always see which ones are already uploaded. then focus on the pictures that are good in your own opinion.

getting feedback on your pics is great because it makes you think more critical about your subject and what you are trying to portray. but if you post 10 - 20 pictures i'm just gonna scroll over them thinking these all look meh, and not bother saying anything about them.

post 2 to 4 and ask for a critique (this has worked for me in the past)

And with the sizing I def.gotta up some smaller ones in near future ;)

it's easier to get an overall impression on a smaller picture in a shorter amount of time on a computer screen. i am sitting maybe 40 to 50 cm away from my laptop screen and if your picture takes up more than half of my screen it's just too tiring to take a step back to get a good impression of your picture. if your image is bigger and has a lot going on at the same time i have to take more time to think about it. people are lazy - deal with it

Tomorrow I wanted to upload 5pics...is that ok with you?

i really don't care, is that okay with you?

I hope this doesn't come off as really harsh, because it's not meant to be but...

blah blah tl:dr, but I hope that's helpful. Everyone has permission to rip my stuff apart too.

No problem man, it definitely helps! As per the first photo it isn't HDR, probably should have mentioned that. I agree now looking back that the third photo could have been left out since there's barely any composition. The second is definitely over done, but I only posted it since I liked it, and thought it made a plain old boring photo look somewhat cool.

I am still experimenting with HDR so it will probably be a while before i get good at it and successfully incorporate it into my photos. But thanks for the input! It does help me.

lax, i like the clouds on 3rd one and the deep color of the sky. I agree you need something more interesting to photo, but sometimes you just don't have any options when you're experimenting outdoors(my st is especially boring as well.)

also sometimes I think it is not necessarily a matter of waiting for or having to come across the interesting or 'right' thing to shoot, but more about how the photographer engages and makes sense of their subject, however seemingly trivial. I'm a firm believer that the best photographers find what they need right at their doorsteps.

IMG_8337.jpg

Is that mold? Clean your door step man!

I believe you can find interest at home, I was specifically talking hdr where he's shooting outdoors. It seems to be a little more difficult than just doing a regular picture. For me at least.

lax, i like the clouds on 3rd one and the deep color of the sky. I agree you need something more interesting to photo, but sometimes you just don't have any options when you're experimenting outdoors(my st is especially boring as well.)

Thanks, yeah that was my original intention, but everything just became over saturated, and it could of had a lot better composition. I thought it was going turn out a lot better when I originally took it, but guess it didn't :(..

also sometimes I think it is not necessarily a matter of waiting for or having to come across the interesting or 'right' thing to shoot, but more about how the photographer engages and makes sense of their subject, however seemingly trivial. I'm a firm believer that the best photographers find what they need right at their doorsteps.

Quoted for the truth. Mostly everything that I take pictures of is in my backyard, since I don't get out enough, and when I do I don't exactly want to bring my camera around.

Thanks, yeah that was my original intention, but everything just became over saturated, and it could of had a lot better composition. I thought it was going turn out a lot better when I originally took it, but guess it didn't :(..

Quoted for the truth. Mostly everything that I take pictures of is in my backyard, since I don't get out enough, and when I do I don't exactly want to bring my camera around.