carl do u use flash? i tried taking pics at my aunts party.crap.

i suck at taking pictures that i dont set up/ tri pod.

what do u doooo?

No flash. And uh, i just take alot of pictures? Practice, practice, practice. Also being a good technical photographer helps.

Unfortuneatly no photoblog or website. When i go back to school this spring thats one of my goals.

Carl your work has REALLY improved very suddenly. Very nice shots coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of photojournalism. A nice shot is a nice shot though! I can see a lot of the Magnum photojournalists being an influence on your work.. Am I right?

Thank you.

And yes you are very right. Ive always been taught that to be the best you must study the best. I live for Alex Webb, David Alan-Harvey, Paolo Pelligrin, etc.

Carl, that's a real nice frame, but your little "caption" makes me cringe. I'm never one to be on the PC tip, and I know this is a fashion website not lightstalkers, but regardless. "Hope you didn't get any ready-mix on your golf shoes brah"

Yikes! I didnt mean it like that, honestly, haha. And it really was a group of hispanics laying down concrete. A couple of guys from Mexico, one from Ecuador, and two others from El Salvadore. Trust me, the caption in the paper read nothing like what i wrote, i was just trying to give a little background info on the photos.

What is your lightstalkers? I should "add" you to my list.

Taken in Santa Cruz, Ca with a Cannon AE-1 Program, a something-200 zoom with a sx extender thingy on it. Came out not too shaby. I get my pics developed at longs, and the image on the picture disk (this one) is great. Whenever i get a reprint from the negative it turnes out ehhhh....still working on that.

getchwe4.jpg

thats a great shot

yo carl, can u post a pic of the style of camera's u use to take these pics and how much do they run for? I got a digital 8 meg pixl sony but it does not take pics anywhere near as good as the ones you got. U use a special cam or do u photoshop your pics?

I use a Canon 20d with a 20mm 2.8 lens, which is a digital SLR. Cost me right under 1400, which is exaclty how much i am still in debt to my parents.

Here is a picture:

20d.jpg

All of the images have been toned in Photoshop CS1.

No special camera or tricks. Just good technical photography and good toning.

i'm shooting a wedding this weekend and i'm really scared. at least the weather should be good on sunday.

Oh man, I would PAY to get some experience shooting at a wedding!!!

I use a Canon 20d with a 20mm 2.8 lens, which is a digital SLR. Cost me right under 1400, which is exaclty how much i am still in debt to my parents.

hey at least it's not $4000. :( i am never going to pay it all off.

• 2 weeks later...

carl, beautiful photos, but the dodging/burning work on the dancing ladies' faces is too obvious....

I noticed a lot of comments on the back few pages about what camera to use. Photography has nothing to do with what camera you use. Carl's pictures look good because of 1) good lighting, good cropping, good work on releasing the shutter at the right time, and 2) digital darkroom enhancements. The camera makes the resolution look nice, but if these pictures were with something shitty like a Holga, they'd still be beautiful photos.

Oh and you'll get a lot better *quality* (less noise/grain) photos out of a film SLR than a digital point-and-shoot.

carl, beautiful photos, but the dodging/burning work on the dancing ladies' faces is too obvious....

Haha, i know what you're talking about with the dancing picture. Thats like a 2 minute photoshop job...i plead guilty!

Carl's pictures look good because of 1) good lighting,good cropping, good work on releasing the shutter at the right time, and 2) digital darkroom enhancements. The camera makes the resolution look nice, but if these pictures were with something shitty like a Holga, they'd still be beautiful photos.

Oh and you'll get a lot better *quality* (less noise/grain) photos out of a film SLR than a digital point-and-shoot.

Ahhhhhhh! No cropping. Not a single picture of mine...ever. I don't believe in it. If you're gonna crop your picture then you should have gotten closer in the first place.

Thanks for compliments Whisky and Narib

carl, the picture with the little girl's hair flinging out? what shutter speed were you using? love that effect

1/500th, F8, 100 ISO.

Your standard exposure for outdoor light using either a digital camera or slide film.