I've had a frustrating time with digital, so in an act of complete spontaneity I bought a pentax mx, and a few rolls of film are on their way now.

What I want to know though, is would it be worth developing my own film in the long run? In general terms I mean; it seems to cost a bit to set up..

I think for the experience alone it's worth the cost. (if you have the $$ to do it) It helps you understand that actually composing a shot and thinking it through rather than using the so called "rapid fire" technique is much better.

My friend just got a Canon Ae-1 and I've been helping him out. His first few rolls were basically shit (he has not photo experience), but he has already learned a bunch.

I do realize that you have photo experience already, but either way, I'd say if you can afford it, try it.

I've had a frustrating time with digital, so in an act of complete spontaneity I bought a pentax mx, and a few rolls of film are on their way now.

What I want to know though, is would it be worth developing my own film in the long run? In general terms I mean; it seems to cost a bit to set up..

It is totally worth it to develop your own film. In an ideal setting, you would be rolling your own film (buying film in 50/100-foot spools and then metering them out to film canisters you get on the cheap), developing your own film, and finally, either scanning or printing your own shots at home.

While C-41 (color) chemistry is a lot trickier, as temperature-control is a must), black-and-white chemistry is pretty simple. All you need is really developer/fixer/stop bath, and just getting everything right after a few rolls. In fact, you don't even need a darkroom for developing your own stuff at home (that's for enlarging), all you need is a darkbag for putting your hands into and being able to manipulate the film.

What's fun (and occasionally frustrating) is the latitude you have when developing b&w film at home. Depending on how accurate you are in measuring your development times/etc., you can experiment with overdeveloping underexposed photos, or underdeveloping overexposed photos and seeing which results you prefer.

Some resources –

http://www.instructables.com/id/Developing-Black-and-White-Film-at-Home/

http://photo.net/darkroom/black-and-white-intro

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php - for figuring out which developer you want/etc.

PM me if you want to discuss more. I don't know that much, but I know a little. :D I moved to analog after growing dissatisfied with the 'mediocre' color-tones I was getting with digital. There really is something about analog photographic color that made me fall in love. However, I know I'm not just being an elitist prick, as there is a much wider tonal range that analog achieves over digital photography, and while my friend hates grain, I love grainy black-and-white shots.

^^ o sick i shot ilford hp5+ on my trip to the philippines last month.

the problem with this analog shit is that if you take it too far you lose the speed of digital editing. i literally have a inches deep of negatives waiting to be looked at and scanned. :(

i kinda want a drum scanner but don't have 5k to blow.

And btw, apparently home-printing is cheap and easy if you don't want to go above 8.5x11" prints? If you want more information, PM me your email and I'll send you the literal essay my friend sent me on the subject. Kind of interesting, considering the printer he bought is $80 off eBay, and he's supposedly going to be able to print professional quality prints of his photographs.

thaiison – A lot of your images suffer from central composition, which is a little boring. Try working in the Rule of Thirds to improve your composition. The final photo I feel is the strongest, as the contrast between the dark street and the cigarette lighter's light is the most interesting. The others seem just like snapshots (but pretty ones!)