Carl,

I'm a color neg shooter who is sorely lacking in quality scans at the moment. Those are more than a year old, I just wanted to contribute something other than my words, and get some more formal portraiture up in the mix. I only have the internet at work, so my time with this post is pretty limited, but I'll try and get a couple more shots up here tomorrow.

Aotearoa,

Nah, I don't work for VII....I meant 7II as in the camera "Mamiya 7II". But thanks for the love none-the-less.

Easy,

Wolves

carl and holeinthewall: it would be tempting to say whimsically that each of your most recent posts are almost contrasting ones--carl's brims with fervour and vibrancy while HITW's gives me a comforting sense of easy familiarity, in spite of (or maybe even because of?) the graffiti on the wall.

i'm taking a cheap digicam to cambodia in a day, hope to get some good photos to take back home. i'm no photographer, but the place is beautiful and tragic enough for me to attempt something. :)

ok so idk if anyone else lives near south jersey but we're having this crazy storm right now.

point being i tried to take a picture of the lightning...and i can't get it.

i tried continuous shooting but everything came out too black. the highest iso rating my camera has is 400. should i put on a low iso and keep the shutter open for as long as i can and hope it strikes then? any tips welcome.

I live in Bensalem, Pa., which is sorta by Trenton, so we got that storm your talking about a couple hours ago.

It came, fucked shit up for about 15 minutes and then left. It was pretty wild.

As for the lightning? Im no expert at this kind stuff but i would set your camera at 100 ISO, put it on manual settings, open the aperature up as much as possible and put it on like 5 seconds and hope lightning strikes during those 5 seconds. And then...post that shit up!

My best from the recent floods;

16if4tf.jpg

I live in Bensalem, Pa., which is sorta by Trenton, so we got that storm your talking about a couple hours ago.

It came, fucked shit up for about 15 minutes and then left. It was pretty wild.

As for the lightning? Im no expert at this kind stuff but i would set your camera at 100 ISO, put it on manual settings, open the aperature up as much as possible and put it on like 5 seconds and hope lightning strikes during those 5 seconds. And then...post that shit up!

My best from the recent floods;

16if4tf.jpg

ha yeah i know it was nuts. my boy said he was driving and GREEN lightning hit like right in front of him. it was gone so quick. next time it storms i'm def. getting some pics.

thanks for the tip.

This thread is great. Everything I've seen so far is amazing. I want to get into photography and have a few questions. I want to get a camera but I have no idea what kind I should get. I want a 35mm SLR but should I get digital or traditional as a beginner? Manual focus or auto focus? Brands? Places I should purchase from? I know that bhphotovideo.com is great. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

may as well go digital, if only because you can then experiment at will and take a million photos at no marginal cost

camera choice obviously depends on your budget, but for a digital SLR, you can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. The Canon 350D and Nikon D50/D70 are the entry level SLRs. always important to hold the camera before you buy - get something you like the feel of.

check out dpreview.com for more advice than you'll ever need

Don't go digital. Learn the B/W process if you can. Im serious, you will thank me later for it. Try and find access to a local darkroom...just find something, someone, but please don't learn on a digital.

As for cameras? Get a manual focus SLR with a 35mm F2 lens. Kinds?

Canon AE-1

Pentax K-1000

Olympus OM-1 or OM-2

Nikon F2

You can find any of those used with a good 35mm F2 for probably under 200 dollars. Then go buy a 100 rolls of Tri-X, or Illford Delta 400 if you've got the money, and find someone to teach you exposure basics and developing.

Thanks guys. I've heard that the AE-1 was a good beginner camera and at the moment thats what I'm leaning towards. Theres a few on B and H right now for under $200. I have a few photography that I've read that have already taught me a bunch about shit. Thanks again.

Don't go digital. Learn the B/W process if you can. Im serious, you will thank me later for it. Try and find access to a local darkroom...just find something, someone, but please don't learn on a digital.

Carl, what's your reasoning here? Do you just think it's easier to pick up the nuances of photography through the manual process?

Did learn with B/W film myself. I guess it's good to be able to foucs on the pictures and not get bogged down in the IT side of things. And it makes you concentrate on getting the exposure/framing right first time.

But won't a point come when the only practical option is to go digital?

Carl, what's your reasoning here? Do you just think it's easier to pick up the nuances of photography through the manual process?

Did learn with B/W film myself. I guess it's good to be able to foucs on the pictures and not get bogged down in the IT side of things. And it makes you concentrate on getting the exposure/framing right first time.

But won't a point come when the only practical option is to go digital?

Of course it will be more practical in the end but for the sake of the reasons you just said...learn the B/W process.

It will give you a much deeper appreciation of the finest craft on earth.

When you're just starting out you need to stress the technical side of things, it's more important then you could ever imagine. That and not cropping your pictures.

Angrypork - Im pretty sure you live on the Eastcoast, somewhere probably pretty urbanized. Find a couple week long photo course you can take this summer at a local college. Do something like that and if the teachers good then buddy up with him/her and learn all you can.

Angrypork,

Go check out International Center of Photography on 43rd street and 6th ave. It's pricey, but if you ask for a job TAing as a lab assistant, you can use the hours you earn as credit twoards printing, or 1/2 off a class. There is nowhere else in newyork with as wide and impressive an array of guest proffesors.

Now for some more flicks. This is the type of "New york at night" stuff that got me my first paid assignment last year (again, it's old...I apoligize)

You've got the "RIT Look".

Deffinetly not a bad thing. I think that RIT, as far as colleges go, produces the best photographers. Western, Ohio, and Missiouri might produce the best newspaper photographers but RIT produces the top dogs when it comes to commercial, editorial, and agency photographers.

If i could do it over again I think i'd go there instead of Western.

You'll fit in quite well though, if you decide to go. How old are you?

Don't know what the "RIT" look is.

As far as I know, it's a good school, but one that tends to focus less on the artistic, and more on the tech and vocational side of things. Might be a change of pace for me. I tend to role with a mix of Photojournalists and conceptual artists, and plow the ground in between. I requested information on both the PJ and "fine art" programs there, MCAD, and Maine college of Art, so we'll see what they have to offer. I'm trying to get a website up before summer's end, so when I got some newer scans I'll put em up. Untill then I'll contribute what I got in words, and older pictures. As for age, I'm in the 18-25 brackett, with no college education, and I'm looking to change that in the next few years.

Check out www.verasimages.com to see some of the kids I came up with. they're an interesting talented bunch.

Easy,

Wolves

Don't know what the "RIT" look is.

Well composed, solid technically. Deffinetly a good thing.

I think thats the best part about RIT...the stressing of the technical which is something most photo schools don't do. If you do end up going to RIT seek out the professor Gunther Cartwright. He will rip you a new asshole but its only for the best.

Before you can have a "personal vision" you need to be solid technically.

Your friends look like a group of kids from ICP circa 2005. Some solid work on that website, especially from Joao Pina.