Apple iPhone 4

Vinneus

Just to confirm suspicions. I have noticed signal loss when holding the bottom left of the phone where the antennas are separated :/. I have no yellowing on my screen whatsoever. Love the phone ALOT so far. Seem to have reception in most places I've gone. Only place i had shitty signal in was my friends basement(where his 3G had service:().

Edit: location: Northern VA

Barely a week since the public got its hands on the iPhone 4, the first lawsuit over it has been filed.

Filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland on behalf of Kevin McCaffrey, Linda Wrinn, and others on Thursday, the suit accuses Apple and AT&T of knowingly distributing a phone with a malfunctioning antenna. The iPhone maker and its exclusive carrier partner in the U.S. are accused of a laundry list of infractions, including: general negligence, defect in design, manufacture, and assembly, breach of warranty, deceptive trade practices, intentional and negligent misrepresentation, and fraud by concealment.

^The thing I don't understand with that lawsuit is the phone has been out less than a month. That means everyone bitching and whining is free to return the phone and cancel their at&t contract if its such a huge deal.

I just got my phone yesterday. Im not sure if they managed to make any changes in this second (July 2nd ship date) batch or what, but I live in an area with notoriously bad reception- I regularly drop calls on my 3 mile drive to and from work- but I can't replicate the antenna issue. First thing I did was try out the death grip for giggles and I stayed strong at 5 bars.

^The thing I don't understand with that lawsuit is the phone has been out less than a month. That means everyone bitching and whining is free to return the phone and cancel their at&t contract if its such a huge deal.

I just got my phone yesterday. Im not sure if they managed to make any changes in this second (July 2nd ship date) batch or what, but I live in an area with notoriously bad reception- I regularly drop calls on my 3 mile drive to and from work- but I can't replicate the antenna issue. First thing I did was try out the death grip for giggles and I stayed strong at 5 bars.

'Your not holding it right'. I can definitely replicate the signal drop when held(on multiple iPhone4s). I even tested it in the Apple store where they seem to have amazing signal and sure enough it went from 5 bars to 1 in about a minutes time. The problem is not as bad as this 'fuck apple' campaign seems to make it out to be. There IS a problem and I HATE the way Apple is dealing with it, but I still love the phone. Especially in my area where reception is usually, really good.

And regarding the lawsuits, yes they can return it but Apple is trying to charge a restocking fee. AT&T will let you cancel your contract if you return the iphone within 30 days??? I did not know that.

Did you read my post? I'm not suggesting that the problems are a figment of anyone's imagination. The issues clearly exist: a quick google or youtube search will show you that. I am suggesting that perhaps they have made an improvement on the second batch of phones. I cannot replicate the signal issues, even when purposefully putting the phone in the death grip. My coworkers who all got phones in the July 2nd shipment have noticed the same thing. I'm not sure what makes you think that a store in the mall would have 'amazing signal' (when I worked at Apple, our signal was pretty bad since it was such a congested area), but I'm willing to bet those phones are all from the initial shipment since they've been on display since launch.

Most phone companies will indeed allow you out of your contract within 30 days if you cite poor reception or coverage as your reason for leaving. My friend just switched to Sprint for the EVO for thirty days; when he decided he'd rather have the iPhone, it was a pretty seamless switch back to AT&T as long as he was within the 30 days. Of course, this was for a brand new contract. People who upgraded/ extended their old contract will probably be stuck with AT&T, but can return the phone for something else.

How should Apple deal with this? They tried giving away bumpers to people who were having issues, but people started taking advantage of that policy so they ended it. Hell, back in 2007 people sued Apple and AT&T for dropping the price on the original iPhone. I thought that was a bit silly, but its at least more warranted than suing for a phone you've had 2 weeks and won't return but won't wait for Apple to fix.

Very true soap, valid points. This is however an internet discussion forum, so obviously there are going to be people for and against said topic.

I disagree but I'm not fuming behind my screen right now. I ve been saved from jumping on bandwagons by other peoples opinions.Whether I agree or disagree it still provokes thought, which is good. Imo

I really couldn't care less who buys the phone and who doesn't, just stating my opinion, nothing more nothing less. If people didn't want any criticism at all, then maybethis thread should state " only post if you love apple"

I still think its great phone man, just not as revolutionary as some think, that's all. Many of these features have been out on other phones for eons. If it serves your needs and you love it that's all that matters in the end

Oh and I think I forgot to mention that, since I am in Canada, the iphone really is the best phone for my wants/needs. If I lived south of the border, I'd already own an Evo most likely...so yeah haha, the iphone isn't the best in my eyes even

Did you read my post? I'm not suggesting that the problems are a figment of anyone's imagination. The issues clearly exist: a quick google or youtube search will show you that. I am suggesting that perhaps they have made an improvement on the second batch of phones. I cannot replicate the signal issues, even when purposefully putting the phone in the death grip. My coworkers who all got phones in the July 2nd shipment have noticed the same thing. I'm not sure what makes you think that a store in the mall would have 'amazing signal' (when I worked at Apple, our signal was pretty bad since it was such a congested area), but I'm willing to bet those phones are all from the initial shipment since they've been on display since launch.

Uhh..?? Nowhere in my post did I mention you suggesting it was a figment of everyones imagination. I did read your post and was just sharing my personal experience. Apologies for the miscommunication.

acidline: I've had no issues with the proximity sensor. Have you tried the fix-its posted online??

demonito: Sorry ed, no idea how to help you there. No jailbreak available yet.

have a problem i tried to cut out my sim and install it on the iphone4 but the phone stills says that "sim card not installed" why?? i know its locked with at&t but i think it shoudl read the simcard i installed yeah? but wont have any signal or anything right?

know its locked with at&t but i think it shoudl read the simcard i installed yeah? but wont have any signal or anything right?

Right. It should not pop up 'no sim' but instead just show up no service in the left corner. What service are you trying to use this on? Most companies will sell you a replacement microsim - not sure how it works out of the states though.