Apple iPhone 4

Vinneus

/\ to that end, they sold out/stopped accepting reservation copies as well? I know they stopped taking reservations and are doing the first come first serve thing on the 24th...

do you think they'll have two lines, one for people who reserved them and one for people who go in hoping to score one?

Based on what my friend at the Apple store told me (but truth told, they don't know shit), they're done taking reservations. You can still stand in line to try to get one on the 24th. All Apple stores should have two lines- one for reservations and one for the hopefuls. No word on how many extra stock they'll get for first come first serve though.

I was hoping to avoid the madness this time and pre-ordered on for delivery. Of course I got stuck in the e-madness of yesterday though so by the time my order went through they'd already bumped the ship date back to July 2nd. 600,000 pre-orders = wtf?

the white phone is so lame to me man. who gets white? blizzack all day.

i know this is going to get delayed in the NL, i wonder for how long. I want.

Ps- my friends EVO 4 kicks fucking ass. like wow levels of next level cool. aside from the battery.

thinking of switching to at&t from verizon for this. verizon won't let me upgrade to a smart phone unless i change my whole family plan around. making it cost like 40 dollars more than it normally would plus the smart phone fee...

is it possible to have a pay-as-you-go plan with the iphone data tacked on? i rarely use the phone..

that's too bad, i've been trying to calculate how much a plan would be and it's coming out to be about 95 bucks a month, sound right?

also, since at&t has this tiered data system now, is 2gb enough for most of you guys? i feel like i'd be cutting it close every month

that's too bad, i've been trying to calculate how much a plan would be and it's coming out to be about 95 bucks a month, sound right?

also, since at&t has this tiered data system now, is 2gb enough for most of you guys? i feel like i'd be cutting it close every month

You're 20 so I assume you go to college or school of some kind. Plug in your (edu) email address into AT&T's premier section after you get your phone and you can get a discount on your monthly voice plan.

I use about 175 - 200 MB a month and on occasion I creep up to 250 MB.

Have you checked your actual data usage? I was worried too until I did; I consider myself a pretty heavy user, but I only average around 500 MB a month, with the most I ever used being 1 GB. And this is including (unauthorized) tethering, mind you.

Even if you do somehow run over 2 GB, the overage charge is quite reasonable: only $10 for every additional GB. (Some other carriers charge up to $50.)

Guest wockawockawocka

speechless? this shit is the same phone but with video calling? wow, so cool. that shitll get old real quick if im somewhere im not supposed to be and i my girl is wanting to video talk. funny how apple can make a video and introduce this amazing new phone but it's the same damn phone but with video calling - add some corny ass music and people go crazy to throw down some cash.

i'll stick with my blackberry and my macbook pro.

speechless? this shit is the same phone but with video calling? wow, so cool. that shitll get old real quick if im somewhere im not supposed to be and i my girl is wanting to video talk. funny how apple can make a video and introduce this amazing new phone but it's the same damn phone but with video calling - add some corny ass music and people go crazy to throw down some cash.

These types of posts are so pointless. Yeah your blackberry is a necessity of life, I am sure you absolutely needed that shit when it came out. That shit probably got old real quick. And I am sure that shit was miles different from the previous blackberry model released before the one you bought.

No one needs these phones, people WANT them because they are new, have some different features, are faster, better battery life etc. and cost the same as the old ones did when they came out. Seriously, it's the iphone 4 thread, obviously people are going to be on here loving the iphone because they like the features, or need a new phone and want to see what other people think.

Let me sum my post up: Thanks for contributing nothing to this conversation

same phone? really? yea with just video calling (which necessitates a front camera... oh yeah, and a nicer rear camera with a larger sensor and LED flash, and higher resolution screen, and twice the ram of its predecessor, and the new a4 chipset which is probably underclocked but still faster than whatever the 3gs had. Also, it had a full redesign, which alone is enough to make me think wtf, you really thing this is the same phone with video calling. Sorry technology is making it harder for you to be a sleaze with your girl.

I just dont get the hype anymore for apple products

Mostly they just give it a new outer shell and a few mediocure adjustments and Steve Jobs announces to the world that they have essentialy made the world a better place with said adjustments and people swallow it whole. IMHO

I also think the ipad is a complete piece of shit for the money.

I bought a Sony Xperia X10 to replace my Iphone and I am in love with it. Full customization, an app store that lets you return the app within 24 hours if you dont like it or it doesnt work, and full themes/customizing without jailbreaking.

I think if people opened their eyes ( the real staunch Apple followers) to some of the other options they would be pleasantly suprised with the competition's products. Not hating on those that still love the Iphone, all the power to you. I just feel that some people jump on the hype train without even realizing it

You're 20 so I assume you go to college or school of some kind. Plug in your (edu) email address into AT&T's premier section after you get your phone and you can get a discount on your monthly voice plan.

I use about 175 - 200 MB a month and on occasion I creep up to 250 MB.

Have you checked your actual data usage? I was worried too until I did; I consider myself a pretty heavy user, but I only average around 500 MB a month, with the most I ever used being 1 GB. And this is including (unauthorized) tethering, mind you.

Even if you do somehow run over 2 GB, the overage charge is quite reasonable: only $10 for every additional GB. (Some other carriers charge up to $50.)

thanks for the input/advice

just get a fucking ipod if that's all you want.

yeah there's a problem with this, i don't think ipods can make calls or text at all.

I just dont get the hype anymore for apple products

Mostly they just give it a new outer shell and a few mediocure adjustments and Steve Jobs announces to the world that they have essentialy made the world a better place with said adjustments and people swallow it whole. IMHO

Uhh..this is how you market products. Of course their gonna claim their shit is revolutionizing the world. It sells. Still really don't see how you guys think the iphone4 has only 'mediocre' adjustments compared to 3gs.

-new shell

-new screen

-new chip

-new camera front/rear

-flash

-hd video recording

-wifi videocalling

wth could they have possibly added to make 'monumental' adjustments?

haters gon' hate.

Uhhh, I am well aware of how marketing works, and I am guessing that you are already on the waiting list for one of these judging by your stance and defence of Apple.

New chip - It needed it because it couldnt multitask like other phones, the thing was slow as hell compared to other chips

New camera that finally zooms - Should have been available as a stock option anyways

Flash - Not exactly new technoligy, Blackberry anyone?

HD Video Recording - Nice but then again video recording has been an option on many phones for years, though not HD

He added features that should have been stock anyways years ago ( aside from a new screen) and called it a work of art. I am not saying the phone doesnt look cool it does, its not revolutionary by anhy means anymore though, competition has caught up

Monumental Adjustments :

Flash support

SD card support

Being able to customize your phone without jailbreaking it

Customer support that actually helps you when things stop working. I went through 4 iphones ( ie kept shutting doewn randomly, apps wouldnt open, ect) and they kept telling me too bad, its probably the app designers fault, nothing we can do.

You shouldnt have to power down and resest your phone every day to make it work. Likewise with spending hours wiping off new updates because they crash your phone.

This is the last I will say, I am not trying to start a war here, but it drives me up the walls when anyone has a negative opinion about an apple product and the normal response is to call them a "hater" or say " haters gonna hate" . Steve Jobbs used to be a visionary, I used to own many of his products, now I look at him as an overhyped tv pitchman

Well, to be honest I am impartial towards apple. I recognize when the stuff they release is shit (i.e. will never buy an ipad in it's current form) but this phone is an improvement and while it may not support flash, which I personally have not missed on my iphone 3G, I still think I am going to buy one.

Apple addressed the major problems that I had with my 3G, and I just like the layout, ipod, size and shape and the touch screen. That is why I (and many other people) have an iphone.

The one thing I do find funny is people getting so worked up about what other people buy specifically when it comes to apple. Yeah a lot of people go after the hype, who cares? Really, do I give a fuck what phone someone has that I am never going to talk to? Your _____ has more features than the new iphone...unfortunately the features you like are not the same as the ones other people like. The fact that people have different preferences is the only thing that makes this world interesting...

Very true soap, valid points. This is however an internet discussion forum, so obviously there are going to be people for and against said topic.

I disagree but I'm not fuming behind my screen right now. I ve been saved from jumping on bandwagons by other peoples opinions.Whether I agree or disagree it still provokes thought, which is good. Imo

I really couldn't care less who buys the phone and who doesn't, just stating my opinion, nothing more nothing less. If people didn't want any criticism at all, then maybethis thread should state " only post if you love apple"

I still think its great phone man, just not as revolutionary as some think, that's all. Many of these features have been out on other phones for eons. If it serves your needs and you love it that's all that matters in the end

He added features that should have been stock anyways years ago ( aside from a new screen) and called it a work of art. I am not saying the phone doesnt look cool it does, its not revolutionary by anhy means anymore though, competition has caught up

Monumental Adjustments :

Flash support

SD card support

Being able to customize your phone without jailbreaking it

Customer support that actually helps you when things stop working. I went through 4 iphones ( ie kept shutting doewn randomly, apps wouldnt open, ect) and they kept telling me too bad, its probably the app designers fault, nothing we can do.

You shouldnt have to power down and resest your phone every day to make it work. Likewise with spending hours wiping off new updates because they crash your phone.

This is the last I will say, I am not trying to start a war here, but it drives me up the walls when anyone has a negative opinion about an apple product and the normal response is to call them a "hater" or say " haters gonna hate" . Steve Jobbs used to be a visionary, I used to own many of his products, now I look at him as an overhyped tv pitchman

No I didn't preorder one. Still want it though :/

-Flash support (sure it'd be nice to have the option, but personally I hate using flash on my macbook pro so i really have no problem missing it on iphone.)

-SD card support would be nice but for what reason really? its already got 16-32gb internal and if its solely for the camera then you can just plug in the usb cable. Might as well charge the shit.

-Customization/Jailbreaking part AGREED, definitely need to step their custom game up cause you can't really do shit.

-Customer support I can't comment on since I dont have an Iphone but whenever I had problems with my macbook pro, Applecare always took nice care of me. I'm sure its probably different for the Iphone though.

Sorry to hear about your previous Iphone problems. At least theres plentiful options in the phone industry for you to choose from now :)

Very true soap, valid points. This is however an internet discussion forum, so obviously there are going to be people for and against said topic.

I disagree but I'm not fuming behind my screen right now. I ve been saved from jumping on bandwagons by other peoples opinions.Whether I agree or disagree it still provokes thought, which is good. Imo

I really couldn't care less who buys the phone and who doesn't, just stating my opinion, nothing more nothing less. If people didn't want any criticism at all, then maybethis thread should state " only post if you love apple"

I still think its great phone man, just not as revolutionary as some think, that's all. Many of these features have been out on other phones for eons. If it serves your needs and you love it that's all that matters in the end

Yeah exactly, people are going to want what they want. Even if it is overpriced for what you get, if it does exactly what you want it to, what is the difference....

I wasn't speaking to you specifically about getting worked up. I was more referring to earlier posts of some just talking down the phone like it's crap. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and you weren't saying anything that is factually incorrect. All I really meant about this thread is, I don't know why people would be reading it and be surprised at all the love the phone is getting and let that get them angry. Certainly anyone can post whatever they want in here...it just won't do any good for the most part haha.

Definitely not revolutionary by any means, but I have had a good experience with the iphone 3G I am currently sporting, and it's about time for something new. I may be less enchanted with this new one once I get it, only time will tell ;)

oh, well it only got released here today. havent really checked much out, but it comes with changeable background pics and i know you can make folders of apps and silly things like gps tag pics etc. no idea on anything else. supposed to be able to multitask on 3gs and 4?

seems mostly to be an attempt to personalise your phone to suit your needs.

I think if people opened their eyes ( the real staunch Apple followers) to some of the other options they would be pleasantly suprised with the competition's products. Not hating on those that still love the Iphone, all the power to you. I just feel that some people jump on the hype train without even realizing it

I'm all for hearing criticism; I would just prefer for it to be somewhat intelligent (as yours is). Just like some people hop on the hype train for Apple, some people hop on the hate train and it gets old. I quoted a couple of random bits from your posts that I totally agree with. I don't really think what Apple is doing is revolutionary; a big part of it is the packaging. The original iPhone didn't have much going for it in terms of other smartphones on the market but it brought 'smartphones' to the masses by making an UI so intuitive that your grandma can use it. That is part marketing, but its mostly making a great product that is a joy to use. ...I still drop calls like a motherfucker though.

ahh, so not worth it if you're jailbroken i assume, those features have been around for a long time with categories/cydia/etc, not to mention free apps ^^ i'll pass until the dev team releases something

I'm still on 3.1.2 since I saw no point in upgrading to 3.1.3 and having to redo my jailbreak. iOS4 looks pretty cool, but I remember during the keynote when all my coworkers were amped on things like folders and multitasking I was just thinking ...wait you guys can't do that already? Hopefully the dev team figures out a free tethering profile by the time my new phone arrives in early July; that seems like the only additional feature that I JBed my 3g for that isn't addressed in iOS4. I refuse to pay AT&T more money for mediocre service and less data just so I can tether occasionally.

last time i upgraded was the update that added copy/paste haha redoing the jailbreak and recustomizing all of your shit is a pain in the ass, takes me like 4 to 6 hours to get everything back to normal again, but yeah i just saw the pwnagetool for iOS4 is out, suppose i'll give it a go