ETERNAL 811 Contest 10/10/10 - 12/12/12

beatle

Well, it's been a LOOOOONNNNGGG time since I have been on Sufu, but unfortunately my time has become somewhat precious as of late. I figured I would do a quick update as I don't know when I will be able to long on again. Anyway, a quick rundown/recap.

Started on 10/10/10 the day after my wedding.

Here they are after the first 10 days.

eternal2.jpg

Getting some wear on the Great Wall just after our wedding.

DSC09922.jpg

On a tea sourcing trip to Yunnan with YouRen (#61 in the contest) and our wives (his is taking the photo). Climbed mountains. Picked tea. Slept on floors of villagers houses... Great trip.

Yiwujeans.jpg

With YouRen's wife and one of our hauls.

Tealeavesjeans.jpg

And 9months later and the main reason my posts went dormant.

IMG_0864-001.jpg

The birth of my son.

His first visit to the US.

DSCF2410-001.jpg

Hanging with the niece and nephew.

DSCF2428.jpg

Yesterday with me and YouRen and the boys. His son was born 2 weeks to the day after mine and his reason for lack of posting. Must've been something in the water in Yunnan.

DSCF6331-001-1.jpg

And now. A little less than 2 years of full-time wear due to repairs and the time to do them.

DSCF6333.jpg

DSCF6341.jpg

Edited by Shangers

nice post.. great update.. loving the grain and texture of the jeans

btw.. hey beatle.. since theres only a month left in the contest, any idea what the low down is for the final submission? do we just post or send to Gordon? time frame?

on 12.12.12, I'll be opening this bottle of Stone Vertical Epic which coincides with the start and end date of this contest.. I'm sure the beer has aged nicely, just like the jeans...

8156925207_bbd26a2dd4_z.jpg

8156958854_14d94b985b_z.jpg

Edited by ah_long

Unfortunately this competition thread has been disappointing, just like the LVC one, the Denime one, the Ande Whall one and the Ooe Yofukuten one to date. The only recent exceptions have been the RoyxCone and the Heavyweight Denim one. Perhaps there have been too many competitions and interest has been diluted?

EDIT: this is not a criticism of those who have contributed to these threads, rather those who participated and did not contribute.

Edited by Maynard Friedman

I've been trying to post, but tend not to take pictures of myself. I'm still taking a crapton of pictures, so here's some sharing:

As some of you may know, I'm in New York, and we were just hit pretty hard by Hurricane Sandy. I was super lucky in that my area wasn't hit hard, tho some trees came down after the storm:

8139076890_6700a1fdf0_c.jpg

8139086904_190dcbdd0e_b.jpg

I went out to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade to get a shot of Manhattan in darkness, but instead of that, got a shot of the city lighting up for the first time in a week:

8149358388_f48d5281ab_c.jpg

I also walked around Red Hook - which was one of the areas that was hit really hard by the storm - a major grocery store had over 5 feet of water inside, and countless people's lives were affected - I didn't actually take many pictures that day, just walked around.

_DSC_9333.jpg

Unfortunately this competition thread has been disappointing, just like the LVC one, the Denime one, the Ande Whall one and the Ooe Yofukuten one to date. The only recent exceptions have been the RoyxCone and the Heavyweight Denim one. Perhaps there have been too many competitions and interest has been diluted?

EDIT: this is not a criticism of those who have contributed to these threads, rather those who participated and did not contribute.

Maybe we should apply rule #4 from the heavyweight denim contest for future events to get more people to participate. What do you guys think?

4) We expect an update every month from ALL participants, two months without an update will be considered MIA and you will be removed from the contest (without good reason for not updating obviously).

i'd have to agree, myself a "non-contributing participant" so to speak, but i really just think sufu is in decline, not necessarily the fault of any contest or over saturation...those who do participate, and do follow through to the end however have KILLED it!

• 2 weeks later...

...but i really just think sufu is in decline, not necessarily the fault of any contest or over saturation...

Kinda agree... I don't really even lurk on Sufu anymore. I have been keeping track of other folks in the contest though!

I don't know if a rule that we had to continuously update would help, but maybe.

I'll be posting my pair soonish, but they don't even hold a candle to some of the other ones in the thread. Clearly, I have to re-evaluate my lifestyle choices.

i'd have to agree, myself a "non-contributing participant" so to speak, but i really just think sufu is in decline, not necessarily the fault of any contest or over saturation...those who do participate, and do follow through to the end however have KILLED it!

i noticed that it started its decline since the huge update and the change of the rep system..

Isn't the problem with contests the fact that general wear/fades on jeans does not throw up anything particularly exciting, illuminating or original anymore. You expect jeans to fade and that is pretty much what you get. You can predict honeycombs, lap fades or whatever. The real interest in contests, for me anyway, is seeing what the contestants do whilst wearing their jeans and sometimes that may have an impact on what their jeans look like. Or the contest jeans may be original, as in the Roy x Cone contest so the type of wear is something new. The Out of Leftfield thread has been kept just about alive by a few posters who give a bit of a pictorial of their day, travel somewhere etc.

Otherwise, it might as well just be the evolution of jeans thread and, in some respects, havent we seen it all before? Of course, if I had my way, I would try and keep my jeans as dark as possible like the good ole' days. :)

couldn't agree more. there were a few really successful contests and looking back it was never really about how the jeans looked in the end. maybe not completely, but the end product was just a plus. what made all of those contests really great was getting to know all these online faces a lot more and a peek into their lives. i still miss those quality posts where people go out, document their seemingly mundane things without thinking that someone on the other side of the world thinks "hey actually that supermarket is really cool over on the other side".

And update regarding judging & prizes from Gordon

For the contest judging we had agreed to let Eternal do it and it's

better if contestants just send me pictures then I can assemble in a folder

and send to Japan. And the prizes are as follows:

1st prize $500 BIG gift certificate

2nd prize $300 BIG gift certificate

3rd prize $100 BIG gift certificate

I will let you guys know when it´s time to post final pics..I will start a specific thread for pics - going to delete clutter and chit chat so the guys from eternal can take an undisturbed look..cheers