ETERNAL 811 Contest 10/10/10 - 12/12/12

beatle

Also, why do people look at hairy denim as a definitive positive? Hairy denim usually points to short cotton fibers, which usually coincides with less durable denim. That being said I love the lht okinawa denim and it is pretty hairy.

!

I think the hairiness of denim is not just related to a shorter staple-fiber cotton, but also the tightness of the yarn twist, and number of times it's twisted. Not sure that correlates to cheap vs. premium. I'm not a textile engineer though...

Almost all my denim has had a peach-fuzz phase in the first few months before it smooths out. That's just loose fibers being worked out.

IMO, It's only when a cloth continues to get hairier with time that it's a sign of less expensive material. Think: cheap wool sweater pilling up.

I didn't see anyone write that hairy denim was a positive (or negative).

it just is.

I think the hairiness of denim is not just related to a shorter staple-fiber cotton, but also the tightness of the yarn twist, and number of times it's twisted. Not sure that correlates to cheap vs. premium. I'm not a textile engineer though...

Almost all my denim has had a peach-fuzz phase in the first few months before it smooths out. That's just loose fibers being worked out.

IMO, It's only when a cloth continues to get hairier with time that it's a sign of less expensive material. Think: cheap wool sweater pilling up.

Why you guys got to gang up on me?

Both of what you guys said is true, but I have seen it thrown around, not in this thread, but in other threads about how hairy yada yada denim is and it is soooo nice. Anyways, probably the wrong thread for this nonsense.

So the price seems like it's going to be tipping 300

Looking at what MIJ jeans, and special runs of contest jeans have been costing lately (via BiG or Self Edge), a price in the $275 to $300 range seems to be what should be expected.

I know people would like to get a break on contest jeans, but I don't think you're going to see that much with contests anymore. And I think the reason for that is because it seems like a lot of people where jumping into these things just to get a pair of jeans at a reduced price/free shipping/whatever and then not following the contest through to the end (or at all). Examples... Warehouse 660, looks like there were over 200 pairs of jeans sold, but only 34 entries in the contest. Full Count... somewhere between 100 (if that) and 200 pairs of jeans sold, only 23 entries. Current cultizm/LVC contest... 54 entries and a requirement that we must post progress pictures every two months... seems like maybe a third are actually participating and posting update photos.

Looking at these contests, if I was BiG or any other denim store, I wouldn't be inclined to cut my profits for a contest that 75% or more of the contestants won't actually compete in.

i pre-apologize as i am not a jean collector, i haven't owned tons of different brands. this brand exhibits this anomaly which i have not seen in (LVC, Dior, full count, dry bones)

b46mo5.jpg

the consumerist in me wants to partake in this contest but the logic in me says no. smh

ps: this was taken with a cell phone, so sorry if the quality isn't good enough

Looking at what MIJ jeans, and special runs of contest jeans have been costing lately (via BiG or Self Edge), a price in the $275 to $300 range seems to be what should be expected.

I know people would like to get a break on contest jeans, but I don't think you're going to see that much with contests anymore. And I think the reason for that is because it seems like a lot of people where jumping into these things just to get a pair of jeans at a reduced price/free shipping/whatever and then not following the contest through to the end (or at all). Examples... Warehouse 660, looks like there were over 200 pairs of jeans sold, but only 34 entries in the contest. Full Count... somewhere between 100 (if that) and 200 pairs of jeans sold, only 23 entries. Current cultizm/LVC contest... 54 entries and a requirement that we must post progress pictures every two months... seems like maybe a third are actually participating and posting update photos.

Looking at these contests, if I was BiG or any other denim store, I wouldn't be inclined to cut my profits for a contest that 75% or more of the contestants won't actually compete in.

it shouldnt really matter how many people actually participate in the contest but more how many pairs are sold. the low # of participants is good for those trying to win, but for the store as long as they are selling 200 pairs they are still moving a lot of units and for the denim company the more pairs the lower marginal cost per pair

Screw the "take progress photos every 2 months" crap. I'll be doing a lot of traveling over the next 2 years and hell I don't know if some of the countries that I am going to even have internet, let alone fast internet.

Not saying this contest should require progress photos... I was just using the LVC contest as an example of another contest where it looks like the number of entries at the end is going to be low. Cultizm probably spent over $1000 in free shipping, and is offering up $1050 in prizes, and when it's all said and done there will probably only be a dozen or so guys that submit entry photos. If I was a denim store and someone approached me about offering a contest jean (and prizes) at a reduced price, I'd tell 'em to go pound salt.

Standard 811s sell for $255 at BiG, I wouldn't expect the contest jean to be less than $275.

there will be no rules regarding posting updates. I want everyone who participates to just wear the jeans and have fun...

Only rule in order to win - final pics need to up by 12/12/12

+rep for that beatle, screw rules -wear the Eternals and enjoy!

Not saying this contest should require progress photos... I was just using the LVC contest as an example of another contest where it looks like the number of entries at the end is going to be low. Cultizm probably spent over $1000 in free shipping, and is offering up $1050 in prizes, and when it's all said and done there will probably only be a dozen or so guys that submit entry photos. If I was a denim store and someone approached me about offering a contest jean (and prizes) at a reduced price, I'd tell 'em to go pound salt.

Standard 811s sell for $255 at BiG, I wouldn't expect the contest jean to be less than $275.

I wan't flaming you or anything. I have seen mynudies.com do their competitions where you have to post pictures once every month and all it creates is a pain in the ass for the mods, and people bitching "Johnny didn't post pictures the first 3 months, he shouldn't win". You know what I mean. I agree with beats, just wear the f$#kers, and post before or on the 12/12/12. If you miss the date, then tough sh$t.

Bring on the contest baby!

and one more thing about the whole price discussion

Gordon´s retail price for these contest jeans will be more than $135 (that's not even factoring in shipping/taxes/duties/etc.), the 811BG is not much less

than that. BIG makes a very small margin on the 811's. .and I for one can only thank Gordon for being passionate enough about denim to even organize this.

I wan't flaming you or anything.

Didn't think you were. ;-)

I look at the whole contest price deal this way.....

Standard 811, $255

Lets say the contest 811 cost $300.

What does $45 come out to spread over two years? 6 cents a day. Think of it that way, and be thankful that Beatle and Gordon gave everyone the chance to rock a special pair of 811s.

since the contest is for 2 years and 2 months I really wanted some reinforced back pockets.it was pretty hard convincing eternal, they are pretty set in their way..super happy we got the half lined back pockets....

Didn't think you were. ;-)

I look at the whole contest price deal this way.....

Standard 811, $255

Lets say the contest 811 cost $300.

What does $45 come out to spread over two years? 6 cents a day. Think of it that way, and be thankful that Beatle and Gordon gave everyone the chance to rock a special pair of 811s.

That is some retarded rationalization. By your logic, why not make them $1,020? It's only $1.05 a day on top of $255 over two years. It's less than a cup of coffee!

Also, Gordon already gave everyone a chance to rock a special pair of 811s. They are called the 811BG. Everyone essentially waited 5 months for some fancy pocket bags a little cloth in the back pocket.

Guest I LOVE LFC

So do we have to put our name down if we want to be involved or can you just buy a pair when they become available?

Sorry fellas, I'm a contest virgin and I'm not to sure of the protocol.

OK, so now rationalizations are getting out of hand. A) I haven't waited for 5 months to get fancy pocket bags or a little cloth in the back pocket, hell I only knew about the contest like 2 weeks ago (I get you are making a general sarcastic comment), but really? If you don't like the jeans, then buy the regular 811s (that's not directed to you Raoul, just haters in general). B) If Gordon didn't think these were any more special then the 811BG, would he have gone through with all this hassle? Especially since he is getting flamed for a pair that hasn't even got a price tag on it yet (see Eternal thread) C) Even if these jeans are $300, that's still cheaper then any Self Edge collab, or way cheaper then a lot of the Iron Heart (for example) products, does that mean, I am saving my self $50 because I was thinking of buying some 301s? No, just means I wanted to try some Eternals and what better way then the contest jean. I heard Eternal is dope denim...

More than anything (strictly IMO), these contests are mostly about camaraderie and a bunch of denim geeks sharing their passion towards denim on the internet through documentation and more than anything, living their lives wearing one pair of jeans for a set amount of time in conjunction with others around the world. All this talk about pricing etc. is taking away from the original spirit of the contest and frankly in the end you either decide to participate or not. If you're in, sure a little competitiveness is all in the fun but let's try not to derail before things even start...