Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

such an underrated brand and two verrrry nice models. what do you guys think? why hasnt studio been as popular as say samurai or flat head?

like the link to that second pair you posted, those are looking really good.

i just picked up two pairs on ebay for a good price, the sd 001 and the sd 201

both unwashed, sample pairs.

the 001 has incredible denim, really gorgeous, and is LHT, i remember correctly..

the 201 is slightly lighter blue denim, not as tough/stiff feeling as the 001 and a bit more hairy...

very excited to get other SDAs, as the 103s i have are really some of the best made jeans i have handled. i dont know why SDA doesnt get more love. they have been around for a while and have superior workmanship and quality.

i think SDA is one of the less flashy brands among the japanese denim companies trumpeted about here...you can't really judge workmanship and quality without having tried on and examined a pair. Roland is right... and i also think samurai and flathead are more international[?] in their marketing. i do however admire their work, having tried on a pair of SD-101 in bangkok. top notch.

also if i remember rightly they are notorious for being hard to fade, perhaps refer to the SD-103 threads for other members' opinions on this?

I've had a pair of SD-101's for 8 months now and these things are like rocks. I relied of the waist to stretch a little and it has hardly budged. I bought a 30 and could really use a 32 but I've stuck with them anyway. Fading is not happening very fast but whatever. Of the repro's I've had, SDA is the pair that I would pick to last me the longest. There seem to be no weak points, even in the crotch. If you are the type to get bored with plain dark jeans, you'll lose patience. I think people avoid the SD-101 because it they think it won't be modern enough. I've been pleasantly surprised by the fit though. Just a regular fit jean...it's far from a Sugar Cane 1947 repro.

Whereas brands like PBJ and Samurai can excite you from the get go, SDA feels more like a brand for people who have "been there done that".

If you ever browse their offerings, SDA makes some hideous jeans outside of the 101/102/103/105 line.

I've had a pair of SD-101's for 8 months now and these things are like rocks. I relied of the waist to stretch a little and it has hardly budged. I bought a 30 and could really use a 32 but I've stuck with them anyway. Fading is not happening very fast but whatever. Of the repro's I've had, SDA is the pair that I would pick to last me the longest. There seem to be no weak points, even in the crotch. If you are the type to get bored with plain dark jeans, you'll lose patience. I think people avoid the SD-101 because it they think it won't be modern enough. I've been pleasantly surprised by the fit though. Just a regular fit jean...it's far from a Sugar Cane 1947 repro.

Whereas brands like PBJ and Samurai can excite you from the get go, SDA feels more like a brand for people who have "been there done that".

If you ever browse their offerings, SDA makes some hideous jeans outside of the 101/102/103/105 line.

i can't agree with this statement enough. no frills.

Because they make ulgy jeans like the X's-28.

Seriously, I think youll find a few pigboy champions round these parts.

Why not as popular as Flathead?

Flathead makes some nice jeans with some nice denim (5100xx comes to mind), but I don't find anything endearing about the brand. Next.

Why not as popular as Samurai?

Samurai has more fits, what seems like more exclusive denim (SDAs 21 oz jean shared fabric with a few other models from different companies last year), better worldwide customer relations, a bit more variety (Black jeans), and more limited editions (aprox 6/year if not more) and a newsletter.

_______

The real question is how much money all three companys made in 2006. Oink Oink.

They also make awesome fitting jeans like the 103, and a more relaxed fit like the 101. How are those ugly? Sure they have outlandish jeans that have paint on them but to say there whole line of jeans is ugly because you think the X-28 look bad is silly.

I think how their 003 lht twill denim has a grey weft is not only innovative but has proven to give awesome fades.

On the other hand I think you hit the nail on the head on your other points, and that since Selfedge pushes Flathead and BiG pushes Samurai they dominate in the states.

^

I love SDA. I was disappointed by the X-28, but I like their line.

Some of their more outlandish designs I ignore since I don't fully understand the Japanese retail/fashion market.

At least once a season, they make one fugly piece. I assume that piece is produced on the Japanese version of "take your daughter to work day".

As for the lht 003, I'm still unsure about the fades.. its a little soft.

For me SDA is the best. They are jeans for the long haul which suits my tastes just fine. My collection includes 103, 105 1293, D1002 and XS-27. Haven't worn the 27's yet cause they look too yummy all dark and crisp. Someday though.

nice collection... i like the long haul as well.

oh, and thats right, the 001 does have grey weft, thats why it has that particular cast.

god, these are so clean.

thats what sucks about this brand cause the stuff is really nice but they seems so 'safe' that you think maybe next time, and it ends up getting over looked.

For me SDA is the best. They are jeans for the long haul which suits my tastes just fine. My collection includes 103, 105 1293, D1002 and XS-27. Haven't worn the 27's yet cause they look too yummy all dark and crisp. Someday though.

whats with the x27s arcs, are they visible at all, or only to upclose personal inspection

tweedles, that was just the start of it, man. let's just say that from indoctrination things swiftly progressed to mass psychosis.

whilst i'd love to claim credit for a small, well-chosen selection, i subsequently picked up (deep breath) some Dukes, Duckdigger 20s, Edwin Bluebell repros, S710WXs, Dior 21cms, S5000BKs, Cougars, Kicking Mule 50's, SD101s, PRPS Slim Raws and S510XX-AIs. Oh, and not forgetting the contest jeans on the way.

basically a timeline of superdenim and supermarket over the last year...

i haven't really posted about them 'cos although i love 'em - i'm slightly ashamed of some hypebeasting of edmond-like proportions.:D

i am gonna post shots of my 103s soon, though. they've had nearly a year of constant wear now and are starting to look pretty dope. sorahikos have had about six-months now too.

yup, that's when i got hooked. 103s being my first pair, closely followed by some SC 47s and sorahikos... classic sufu indoctrination.

Kind of funny that you bought the SDA´s before the Canes....

Classic sufu indoctrination would be the other way around...

:D

tweedles, that was just the start of it, man. let's just say that from indoctrination things swiftly progressed to mass psychosis.

whilst i'd love to claim credit for a small, well-chosen selection, i subsequently picked up (deep breath) some Dukes, Duckdigger 20s, Edwin Bluebell repros, S710WXs, Dior 21cms, S5000BKs, Cougars, Kicking Mule 50's, SD101s, PRPS Slim Raws and S510XX-AIs. Oh, and not forgetting the contest jeans on the way.

basically a timeline of superdenim and supermarket over the last year...

i haven't really posted about them 'cos although i love 'em - i'm slightly ashamed of some hypebeasting of edmond-like proportions.:D

i am gonna post shots of my 103s soon, though. they've had nearly a year of constant wear now and are starting to look pretty dope. sorahikos have had about six-months now too.

a year of constant wear sounds like a good thing. :)

well...that is pretty-sounding collection. timeline of superdenim is definitely the term for it; i can't think of many other pairs of jeans that have been talked about here that have escaped your grasp.

psychosis, yes

that sentiment i understand as well ;)

Kind of funny that you bought the SDA´s before the Canes....

Classic sufu indoctrination would be the other way around...

:D

hehe, very true - chalk that down to some typically excellent advice from coldrice.

on a slightly more thread-relevant point, though, i am actually really, really glad these were my first pair of serious jap denim.

they're so fucking hard to break in that anything after this should be a breeze.

it is true, though, that conversely this is one of the things that makes SD103s so rewarding.

Was in Osaka today picked up the last pair of 103 in 32 and a sda belt ... The manager was telling me that the new models will be out in the next two weeks .. He let me take a peek of what is too come. It actually didn't look too bad .. I snapped a couple shoots of the flag ship store ... I will post the photos in the next two days ..

I agree that the fact that they're hard to fade is the main reason that I will keep wearing them.. well.. forever. SD-103s to me are the ultimate combination of cut, denim and detailing that I look for in jeans. I will never get tired of them. So far I have found very few jeans that I'm equally interested in. Denime is perhaps a candidate or Flat Heads before they went bezerk with the pocket stitching (if only I can get my hands on a pair of 3008s). The BiG Dubbleworks 660s look promising. But Samurai just never seems to get it exactly right - either they make a cut I like in the denim that I dislike or the other way around.