Studio D'artisan

LFC4ever

35 minutes ago, sk8eddie said:

I'm really interested in the Studio D'Artisan  SDA-103 jeans. I wonder how much they will shrink in the waist? I'm usually 30' in the waist, do I need to size up?

Tough one. I have a pair of the SDA-103 in a 31.

They didn't shrink much but they didn't stretch either, even after several years. I still have to breathe in slightly when I do the top button up. It's weird as they are really roomy everywhere else - thighs and leg openings are pretty wide.

What other jeans do you wear, for comparison? I usually buy 30 in Full Count, 30/31 in PBJ, 31 in Momotaro

^also what i experienced. i wear 32 in fc and have a 33 in sda 103 and the waist is too tight. i wear it with the top button unfastened, sometimes the top two buttons (and it's just a four-button fly!) :D. i would size up to 34, even 36 if i were to buy 103 again. ihw's "barely shrink but never stretch" comment is very true.

6 hours ago, TheIntelligentHoodwinker said:

Tough one. I have a pair of the SDA-103 in a 31.

They didn't shrink much but they didn't stretch either, even after several years. I still have to breathe in slightly when I do the top button up. It's weird as they are really roomy everywhere else - thighs and leg openings are pretty wide.

What other jeans do you wear, for comparison? I usually buy 30 in Full Count, 30/31 in PBJ, 31 in Momotaro

I'm new to raw jeans so the only pair I own is the Japan Blue JB0412 tapered fit in 30 which fit perfect in the waist but I haven't used them enough to notice how much they'll stretch. I got some pair that aren't raws like regular Levi's and Lee Manchester pants that are in 30.

Edited by sk8eddie

The 103's are an amazing pair if you look for a modern, tight but straight cut. The denim can be rewarding if you size right and have the patience to wait for the evo and the fades. The denim is solid and tighty woven - it does not stretch much nor does it forgive much.

overall I would say it's not a "beginner's" jeans.

7 hours ago, Foxy2 said:

The 103's are an amazing pair if you look for a modern, tight but straight cut. The denim can be rewarding if you size right and have the patience to wait for the evo and the fades. The denim is solid and tighty woven - it does not stretch much nor does it forgive much.

overall I would say it's not a "beginner's" jeans.

^ this.  I bought my SD103 maybe 10 years ago (with old arcs/tab) and they are still my favorite pair of jeans (I've purchased my fair share of denim since then).  I sized up 1 from a 31 to 32 and the fit was perfect for me. 

over the course of the last 2 years - very infrequent wear, maybe close to a full year in total...

image_zps7nyi23cl.jpeg

image_zps7xta3ixd.jpeg

image_zpsbcokhkdk.jpeg

image_zpscou6blxj.jpeg

image_zpsc10cmupq.jpeg

a couple of soaks/machine soaks - 1st proper wash with detergents to come.
SDA OKI-515 - 103 cut, standard denim, sewn by Double Volante.

same pair as foxy's, size 33, old pics (just after i soaked n washed them). after a few more washes the fit hasn't changed much.

for size comparo i wear: 31 in mf cali (should be 32), 32 in sc hawaii (perfect), 31 in dry bones red-d (perfect), 32 in rising sun blacksmith (perfect), 32 in fc 1108 (perfect), 4 in tender 129 (perfect loose fit).

8755309535_f3f885d7be_c.jpg

8755322289_e9abd0244c_c.jpg

16 hours ago, sk8eddie said:

I'm new to raw jeans so the only pair I own is the Japan Blue JB0412 tapered fit in 30 which fit perfect in the waist but I haven't used them enough to notice how much they'll stretch. I got some pair that aren't raws like regular Levi's and Lee Manchester pants that are in 30.

Personally, I'd go for a 31. They will probably be a touch snug, but (for me personally) I think the SDA-103 sized up 2 from your regular size will look too baggy. They may have changed the cut as mine are pretty old now, but I find that they don't taper enough for my taste now and the leg opening is too wide.

If possible i'd try some on first.

I'll post a fit pic this evening.

15 hours ago, VivaMarlon said:

Let's see some SDA-103 fit pictures. :P

This is sized up 1, probably should have sized up 2 (or more)

103 would probably be my favorite jeans ever if the front and back rise was even just 1 inch longer

IMG_3079.JPG

18 hours ago, TheIntelligentHoodwinker said:

I'll post a fit pic this evening.

These are my SDA-103. Note the leg opening. I found these pretty tapered when I first bought them, but I veer toward slimmer cuts now so I actually find them pretty wide.

I'm about 5'9" 72kg

sda1.JPG

sda2.JPG

And for reference, as you said you owned some Japan Blue...

Edited by TheIntelligentHoodwinker

Does SDA do any denim jackets that are perennial? I haven't done much research, but it seems like a season-to-season type of deal in terms of what is offered. It would be cool if they did a standard type I, II and III on top of special seasonal denim jacket drops. Just a thought if this doesn't exist already...

i think there are not enough sales to make this viable - most of the other brands operate a similar scheme: regular releases of standard jeans (1-2 drops per year) and as-needed releases for jackets...

I love this style a lot and would keep them that way kss447

Thanks for the input. Yeah I agree a hem would clean up the fit but it's too late for me, these are stuck at their full length. It would break my heart to cut off the factory hem at this point.

Great to hear kss47. I could never ever hem a jeans . This would kill my raw denim heart

Here's my 103 fit. They get lower rise every wash would definitely size one up if I could do it again. Maybe even two. Sadly they don't see as many wears since they're a bit uncomfortable. 

IMG_1894.JPG

• 1 month later...

Great entry  shots indeed

Welcome on Sufu mate!!!