supernerds: hackintosh

chris_n

i was just kind of putting out a feeler. didn't want to bore anyone with the details.

anyway, i'm putting together a desktop with core i7 860 and a gigabyte p55-ud5 motherboard.

was looking for input with regards to best choices for video card

it's kind of between the nvidia 9800 / 250 and the 260 gtx. i know the 9800 works out of the box, but not quite sure about the 260gtx.

ideally the setup will be able to run cs5 suite at mac pro speeds + play games from the new mac steam as well as starcraft 2 beta (yessssssss)

no problems at all. everything loaded up fine - sounds, lan, but if it goes to sleep it wouldnt wake up. i would have to restart. but i never put the machine to sleep anyways so its not my concern.

i also had trouble dual booting with win7 from the same harddrive.

the things that i do wasnt worth playing with mac osx. going parallel and all was just too much trouble.

2000db nice, yeah i have it on a dell mini. the netbook setups are so nice because the hardware variation is minimal.

the tricky part on a desktop is the wide variety of components. even components which share the same chipsets don't work alike.

i don't think anyone here cares, but if anyone ever happens to search something like this on sufu this hardware combination works FLAWLESSLY with snow leopard 10.6.3. installed easier than installing windows on a pc.

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD5 F9

Core i7 860

2x2GB G.Skill ECO Cas 7

XFX 250 GTS 1G

Antec TP-550

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

Sony Optiarc 24x DVD-RW-DL

BCM94322MC Wireless

^^ tbh, isn't that kind of a moot point, considering .4+ upgrades may/may not break your current set-up depending on Apple's whims?

I'd say move to a linux based system, ubuntu !~

don't worry, i have ubuntu on my other drive :)

i've tested the beta of .4 and it works fine, so i'm not really worried.

with the new i7 imacs, pretty much all the modern hardware is supported. it's the old hardware people need to worry about. (when they trim driver support etc)

• 1 year later...