Burgus Plus world tour

Flash

Man, I traipse about Europe for a few weeks, and damn it took me a while to go through the last 10 days of updates. Definitely some good shit going down here.

Keeps making me hungry though. I'm Canadian, but I still miss eating out in America, so cheap and delicious.

Day 23

Tomorrow should be the last day of slow updates...No work for a few days in a row!

On to today's updates...woke up to this sky

IMG_6830.jpg

Prepped some breakfast....Fruit smoothie x Waffles

IMG_6837.jpg

Woke up so late that the game was just about starting...congrats to Germany, any celebrations out there?

IMG_6840.jpg

Had to make a visit to The Container Store on North Avenue and also hit up Old Town as well. Supposedly one of the most prestigious areas in the city to live, although IMO not worth the premium...

IMG_6845.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

Day 23 contd

At the container store....Might need to buy some heavy duty air/water tight containers for my denim collection...Moths/dust mites are no joke...

IMG_6851.jpg

IMG_6852.jpg

In Old Town

IMG_6862s.jpg

IMG_6856.jpg

This is Second City...

IMG_6866.jpg

Got hungry and hit up the Adobo Grill next door to Second City for over priced non-authentic Mexican food...

IMG_6870.jpg

IMG_6885.jpg

At least the guacamole was fresh

IMG_6886.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

IMG_6892.jpg

Day 23 contd

Alright, so admittedly, the food was awesome...Sometimes you don't need authenticity to hit the spot...Got a Tamarind Chicken

IMG_6895.jpg

IMG_6900.jpg

Finished everything...for the most part

IMG_6901.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg

More old town

IMG_6904.jpg

We parked outside a Spice Shop which smelled so fragrant even a few stores down outside

IMG_6912.jpg

IMG_6913.jpg

Parking in the city sucks...We avoided a ticket this time...

IMG_6915.jpg

Got dropped off at work straight after Old Town and by the time I got out I had avoided a heavy downpour and the sun had set...

IMG_6921.jpg

Had random snacks and soup to curb the hunger...

IMG_6923.jpg

All in all my day was decent...For some reason I'm always hungry these days....

As I said, tomorrow will be rough for updates but I'll be taking a long break from work so expect big things!

Day 24

6 more days and counting...Worked all day today but managed a few shots before and mostly after...

Was too lazy to get a CTA pass (they ran out last time I tried to buy so I've been bumming rides the past few days) so I took a cab last minute to work

IMG_6932.jpg

This is my view whenever I get off work

IMG_6933.jpg

Since I was wearing a vest and tie for work it was unbearably hot outside...Forgot to pack clothes to change into after work so I had no choice but to pull a sloppy sam...shirt too long but too hot to tuck!

IMG_6937-1.jpg

I got picked up and drove straight out to Niles to visit H-Mart for some Korean groceries

IMG_6940.jpg

As some of you may have access to H-Mart's around the states, you'll know there is a fully functioning food court that actually churns out some good food...Not on the same level as say Joong Boo, but still good enough!

IMG_6946.jpg

IMG_6943.jpg

I decided to order Chinese food since there was no line (a family of 6 were in front of me while I tried to order some sollangtang...)

IMG_6951.jpg

My girlfriend got her ramyun before I got my order

IMG_6950.jpg

As luck would have it, despite my being number 57, the family that was in front of me at another food stall happened to get my order before me at the Chinese place, and they were #58! Such is my luck when hungry...

Day 24 contd

Finally got my food....Sesame Chicken! Sometimes fast/fake food is the best food...

IMG_6954.jpg

The actual grocery part is pretty expansive and cheaper than what you'll find in the city...

IMG_6956.jpg

Random vegetables

IMG_6963.jpg

The Lychee were so sweet we got a whole bag

IMG_6967.jpg

Some worm looking stuff

IMG_6969.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_6975.jpg

All that kimchee for my Koreans lol

IMG_6976.jpg

The best kimchee I've ever had was actually from a friend of mine who brought a batch straight from korea that he packed in his luggage...His mother's secret recipe...The secret, was some kind of nut...

IMG_6977.jpg

A sloppy fit

IMG_6981s.jpg

Day 24 contd

Speaking of friends, during my college days I would sit around a flame with my Korean friends while drinking...We would stick dried fish etc. over the flame to heat it up....Good times

IMG_6988.jpg

The had fresh samples which were apparently cut directly from the remains you see here

IMG_6990-1.jpg

Possibly my favorite drunk food ever (next to outdoor ramen stands, fries, and well, ok, everything is good drunk food)

IMG_6991.jpg

They also have a bunch of Japanese stuff at H-Mart, so feel free to tap D'Ass if you know what I mean...

IMG_6992.jpg

Koreans make the best seaweed by the way...

IMG_6993.jpg

Oh soju, my greatest friend and foe....In this picture I am unsuccessfully capturing a "tornado" that I tried to shake up...Another relic of my hardcore drinking games....

IMG_7000.jpg

I also found some intense denim fadez while there...

IMG_7003.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

Mind blown???

On the way home it started to rain heavy...

IMG_7005.jpg

IMG_7009.jpg

After getting home I sat around and watched some dramas...That's all for now!

Day 25

Only 5 days left...

Went to Ann Sather's today which is actually the closest restaurant to me. It was my first time at this famous Chicago breakfast place and I won't exactly say that the "wait" was worth it...

IMG_7053.jpg

IMG_7072.jpg

I ordered the French Toast Fantasy, as recommended by Rachel Ray who apparently has poor taste...Never did like her 30 minute meals show, or even her talk show...:P

Day 25 contd

Ok, I'll admit, the Cinnamon Rolls were one of the best I've had in a while...

IMG_7074.jpg

Here is the French Toast Fantasy....I had what I'm going to now on call a "Hot Doug's Revelation"....Meaning, the first time I had Hot Doug's hot dogs, I blew my mind and knew they were good, but it wasn't until I had dogs from Portillo's (a famous Chicago style hot dog place) that I realized just how advanced the dogs from Hot Doug's were. Today, I had the same realization with the French Toast from M.Henry's (posted a few pages back)....In comparison, the French Toast at Ann Sather's, while admittedly good to look at, was so buttery and rich that there was no balance in flavors or texture! I felt sick after eating a few bites and had to take it all home in a box...

IMG_7082.jpg

My girlfriend, on the other hand, ordered an omellete which was pretty decent...Although Lou Mitchell's actually has the fluffiest I've ever eaten...

IMG_7087.jpg

We got home and decided we had to bike off the Cinnamon rolls we devoured for breakfast...Oh HAIL no...Somebody parked their bike up against mine!

IMG_7093.jpg

Riding action along Lake Shore

IMG_7098.jpg

This is the Elks Veterans Memorial (?)...stopped for a picture

IMG_7100s.jpg

Best believe it was hot in the direct sunlight...Notice I'm wearing my usual scrub wear gray tee!

IMG_7107s.jpg

Lot's of parks in Chicago now

IMG_7110.jpg

We ended up here...

IMG_7112.jpg

There were a few "trails" outside

IMG_7115.jpg

Day 25 contd

IMG_7119.jpg

IMG_7123s.jpg

Double cuffs for the bike ride

IMG_7124.jpg

Various ass shots

IMG_7126.jpg

IMG_7129.jpg

IMG_7135.jpg

The Nature Museum is actually a pretty cool place for kids to learn how not to waste energy, and about all the bugs and animals that used to roam Illinois

IMG_7150s.jpg

They even have miniature hands on models of how water gets conserved, etc

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

Day 25 contd

Check out mah buggg collection

Walking sticks

IMG_7160.jpg

Praying Mantids

IMG_7161.jpg

The largest grasshopper in North America...So large they dont jump or fly but they have few predators because they actually have a poison...

IMG_7163.jpg

Straight out of Dharmaville

IMG_7169s.jpg

IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_7194.jpg

No idea what I was trying to do here

IMG_7180s.jpg

A bug collection from back in the day

IMG_7190.jpg

Rats among us!

IMG_7185.jpg

They also had a display of rotting foods with the dates of when they were first placed inside...Imagine the stench...

IMG_7187.jpg

Day 25 contd

Can you imagine if these things were still around the numbers they were at during the 1800s?

IMG_7202.jpg

There were some butterfly paintings on the wall

IMG_7209s.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7224.jpg

All the butterfly artwork built up the anticipation for...The butterfly room! "No tuts!"

IMG_7234.jpg

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7245.jpg

They was gettin it onnnnnn

IMG_7257.jpg

As is customary, you are supposed to check your body to make sure no butterflies are sticking on you as you exit...

IMG_7260.jpg

Day 25 contd

The Nature Museum also has a few gardens, on the rooftop and surrounding

IMG_7261.jpg

A "prairie" that would've been normal for Illinois back in the day

IMG_7265.jpg

IMG_7284.jpg

Looks like the woods in Michigan to me...

IMG_7292.jpg

Dare me to jump in?

IMG_7295.jpg

In the distance stood one man...And his pair of jeans...

IMG_7322s.jpg

IMG_7323s.jpg

We biked due south to drop by the Lincoln Park Zoo which is free all year round

IMG_7332.jpg

I didn't really take good pictures of the zoo unfortunately...You can get pretty close to the gorillas, only separated by a few inches of glass, which is pretty freaky...Got flashes of the movie "Congo" when standing right next to the silverback

IMG_7346.jpg

People used to say I looked like this monkey, especially when I sported the "Nakata" style hair cut back in 2006/2007...

IMG_7352.jpg

Day 25 contd

Lions....

IMG_7364.jpg

...Tigers....

IMG_7358.jpg

...and a Pissing monkey, Oh my! (He actually did face the crowd and tried to piss on people lol)

IMG_7365.jpg

After the zoo, we biked back home and decided to hit up "Little Italy" on Taylor street around the UIC campus for dinner. We never explore this area so it was my first real time...

On the way

IMG_7377.jpg

Not there yet!

IMG_7380.jpg

Random L shots

IMG_7382.jpg

Damn Chicago traffic!

IMG_7383.jpg

We ended up at Francesca's on Taylor street having read many positive reviews

IMG_7384.jpg

IMG_7387.jpg

IMG_7392.jpg

Day 25 contd

"Best Calamari in the City"? I might even agree with this statement...

IMG_7400.jpg

My girlfriend ordered the Frutti Del Mar

IMG_7416.jpg

And I, the rigatoni with sausage...Holy crap the pasta was perfect!

IMG_7422.jpg

Saw this guy with a handicap sign in his car....Somehow I don't believe it...

IMG_7423-1.jpg

Walked down to the famous Mario's Italian Lemonade Stand which has been around since the 50's...

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7428-1.jpg

IMG_7429.jpg

We had the Strawberry and Watermelon flavors...All natural fruit, it was actually on a level beyond the food we had for dinner. I recommend the Watermelon flavor which blends with Lemonade perfectly

IMG_7430.jpg

Across the street is Al's Italian Beef, which I haven't had yet...Rumor has it that Portillo's actually has some of the best Italian beef in the city...Will research this in the future...

IMG_7446.jpg

With stomachs full and appetites completely satisfied, we drove home....Passing through Greektown was torture!

IMG_7450.jpg

And that's it for today...Hope you've all been enjoying the updates the past few days, despite having slowed down the pace a bit. As I said, I have a thing or two up my sleeve that will have future ramifications for the tour (hmmm what could it be?) and hope that you look forward to it!

medine! did you get back at me on meeting up etc? We'll need to set something up...

Day 26

4 more days...

8c05508e.jpg

Woke up and had cereal...wasn't enough so I had Rigatoni leftovers

cc8f78a5.jpg

About an hour later, having applied to a few jobs, I decided to cook up some Chappagetti

bf4fb88b.jpg

It looks pretty disgusting at first since it's just black sauce...

dd01df3c.jpg

Like I said before, it is one of the best drunk foods! Once had three packages after a grueling day of beer pong...Oh college!

1a89fca2.jpg

ok the first few posts for 26 should be working....I had to create a new account because I think I exceeded my upload limit for a free photobucket account...I'll go back and delete some pics so all of day 25 show up once I finish day 26 uploads...

Damn, time to get a flickr...

Day 26 contd

damn it...just found out I exceeded the 10GB bandwidth for a free account on photobucket...This is all on a new account so I'll either have to pay to upgrade or repost all my pics throughout the whole tour...

But for now, the tour must go on...

Speaking of Chappagetti, the MSG always kills my throat so I need to eat a bunch of fruit and drink water after eating it. Had an apple but it didn't really do anything so what the heck, how about an afternoon beer...

47bc3705.jpg

Afterwards I met up with a fellow sufu head for some pizza at Renaldi's...

df4b13d9.jpg

ec9e659a.jpg

47561bde.jpg

Went to check out the view from my apartment building's roof...

404bea92.jpg

The three tallest are (in order from left to right) the John Hancock, Trump Tower and Willis Tower

74ca2580.jpg

From the other side of the building you can see Wrigley Field...

c5ac6435.jpg

Sunsetting

cf4a7847.jpg

Hit up Paciugo for Gelato afterwards with my girlfriend

aa047eac.jpg

81bd5e1a.jpg

Day 26 contd

Talked to the owner of the store and we requested a few flavors for tomorrow...And he actually complied! Black sesame if you were interested!

15d8de2f.jpg

My Paciugo point card is loaded by now...

70c63a2f.jpg

Walked down Broadway to Jewel Osco for late night groceries

4f12ba78.jpg

"Whats a YAKY-SO-BAAAAA????"

05a36bd1.jpg

We got home and decided to make some Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies!

08f7b61e.jpg

22f79cf4.jpg

Who doesn't love cookie dough?

821ca433.jpg

0f010608.jpg

8447ed9c.jpg

Sooooo cripsy on the outside and hot/soft on the inside...

5abca778.jpg

Alright so I'm gonna have to figure out what I want to do with the pictures...Apparently the bandwidth cap is reset every month so it might be a while til you can see them again (approx 5 more days...I signed up a 19th) but I don't really want to pay for a photobucket account....Re-uploading everything at this point is not something I'm interested in but I'll at least try to fix some of day 25 because I like those pictures...In the mean time I'll just use my new account to upload...Apologies for the inconvenience!

^haha I'll probably give in eventually but my bandwidth will reset in a few days...if it blows up again I'll just pay the fees for the sake of the tour!

Day 27

Today I roamed about town with a fellow sufu head all the way from the ghetto to Wicker Park...Wayyyy to hot out for me but ever in denim is I...

0bc31176.jpg

e2fd70fa.jpg

Ghetto (didn't take pictures of the more "rough" areas)

a48d9637.jpg

More views of Wicker Park...hit up Apartment Number 9 and walked around...

a7011093.jpg

bdd24ee9.jpg

Day 27 contd.

Lined up at American Apparel was a bandwagon of hipsters...not sure what the attraction of working at AA would be, however...

265a6908.jpg

Ended up getting a few drinks...Not the most solid drink menu (you can't beat the local Whole Foods IMO lol) but good enough for me!

bc552794.jpg

Ordered Oberon as a throwback to my college days...yay for Bell's!

e3efc92a.jpg

Ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger....Pretty decent meal...

efab0ee5.jpg

Afterwards, iCream was a must...

1f1019d8.jpg

Vanilla/Cinnamon with Cookie Dough never steers me wrong!

5ed1c948.jpg

Upon returning home I went to bike with my girlfriend...And of course, my bike was on the other side of the room knocking over a few others...

500073e9.jpg

Truth is, we ended up a Paciugo for Gelato since we requested a few flavors yesterday (including black sesame) which they faithfully produced for us...

4591976c.jpg

Paired with Sea Salt Caramel, probably the best combination yet!

9ed83db6.jpg

Bonus shot from day 25 that won't show up until photobucket gives me more bandwidth...

296ba8b9.jpg

Unfortunately that's all for today!