Burgus Plus world tour

Flash

DAY 5 Already?!?

Well, turns out I do have photos from the "post-deletion" part of my day, and that is me going (routinely) to Chinatown for dinner. Living in the Lakeview area, I am spoiled by, well, views of the lake (Michigan for those who didn't know) and the drive into the downtown area (and further in this case, Chinatown) is always a pleasant ride:

IMG_4551.jpg

The buildings are particularly shiny

IMG_4559.jpg

Ended up going to a new Ramen place we've been meaning to try in Chinatown at the far end called "Tasty City" (at least in English):

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4585.jpg

IMG_4586.jpg

Day 5 contd.

...and as you all know, when I eat, I don't hold back:

Tonkatsu for my Ramen

IMG_4590.jpg

IMG_4591.jpg

Dried scallop and Egg white fried rice

IMG_4592.jpg

Mapo tofu

IMG_4593.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

Sizzling tofu dish

IMG_4600.jpg

And because we frequent the owner's other restaurant, we were treated to free smoothies (mango and watermelon)

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4596.jpg

Basically whenever we ask about anything the owner asks us if we want to try for free but as we were too full we turned down wontons, soup, and more...

As far as the food goes, the Ramen tasted how I thought it would...like a Chinese restaurant trying to make Ramen, which isn't bad in and of itself but not the Ramen of my glorious past in Japan...The food was pretty standard awesome though, especially when ordered "siu yim, siu yao"...;)

Day 5 final

After stuffing ourselves full we decided to walk around to let the food settle...

Chinatown Square

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4610.jpg

IMG_4617.jpg

On the drive back home we saw a certain air balloon out on Navy Pier which might see future action on this tour (?!?)

IMG_4627.jpg

And many beach bodies out on the sand playing volleyball

IMG_4635.jpg

...And back at home with the view of Belmont Harbor and downtown

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

So there you go! The past 5 days in a brief update. Despite the loss of 99% of my pictures I hope these updates will suffice...I promise daily updates from now on and of course more of the actual jeans in action (don't worry, I actually was/am wearing them!)

Now in the words of a toothy gentleman, Lets Spicy it up!

IMG_4619.jpg

Last minute Day 5 update...

Decided to head upstairs and bike/jog for a few and thought it'd be a good opportunity to get some fit pics...

Up to the 40th floor!

IMG_4643.jpg

Not gonna lie, I'm loving the fit of these jeans (even though they are too tight in the waist...I need to unbutton the top button and wear a belt...)

IMG_4646.jpg

IMG_4647.jpg

They were ball crushingly tight however so I doubt I'll be able to bike much in these...If I do, I probably won't be able to pass on my genes to future Junior Whoppers...

IMG_4654.jpg

And finally, the monstrosity that is our new hallway carpet....I've only heard complaints from every resident so far...

IMG_4667.jpg

Good night all and keep it spicy!

Day 6

The day started off pretty rough...stormy weather all morning and I had to run to work 9:00-2:00 (retail hours...ugh) but by the time I got back home it was clearing up (temporarily as we will find out)...

IMG_4669.jpg

Days for me are always filled with home made fruit shakes...I buy my frozen fruits, Soy milk, bananas and Chia Seeds from Whole Foods (thankfully not on food stamps) and blend them up in the Magic Bullet. Simple, delicious, refreshing and amazing for you!

IMG_4672.jpg

Since I just got back from town I was out of bananas and other fruit...

IMG_4673.jpg

Cheers!

IMG_4677.jpg

Without the bananas the consistency is...mucky at best but the taste is still amazing...No way in hell you could get me to buy a sugar-ed up fruit shake from any gym or Jamba Juice...home made is the way to go!

IMG_4681.jpg

After snacking and resting for a few hours while catching up on the DVR'd World Cup, my girlfriend and I decided to head out for dinner and a movie. Here is a map of the Chicago Transportation system which was at one time the largest in the world (Elevated Train aka the "L") more than even San Francisco in its hey day

IMG_4719.jpg

The truth is my denim addiction is a bit costly...I've been using this here Porter bag for about 3 years and it has taken quite the abuse from rubbing up against all my jeans. You'd think I'd spend more on my wardrobe and at least a replacement bag, but all my money goes to fund my denim addiction...

IMG_4721.jpg

Of course as soon as we headed out to the bus it started raining cats and dogs...

IMG_4729.jpg

We decided to take shelter in the Nordstrom mall complex right off of Illinois and Michigan Ave...

IMG_4730.jpg

The original plan was to buy umbrellas but as soon as we walked in there was an announcement telling people to basically not freak out but stay away from the windows and don't leave the building because the storm was so bad. The kid in me decided to check out the always fun Lego Store

IMG_4749s.jpg

Day 6 contd.

The mall complex is also home to Hello Kitty

IMG_4753.jpg

Darth Vader

IMG_4755.jpg

A T-Rex...

IMG_4756.jpg

...And an old buddy of mine named Woody, who we'd see a bit more of in a bit....

IMG_4758s.jpg

The rain wasn't letting up at all

IMG_4762.jpg

But there were plenty of toys to keep us entertained, including a camera that could scan the Lego box info and pop up a 3D detailed image that follows your movements:

IMG_4782s.jpg

Did I mention I hate spiders?

IMG_4786.jpg

Across the street is a touristy type restaurant (possibly a chain?) called Bandera which is actually a guilty pleasure of mine...

IMG_4796.jpg

The short but sweet menu

IMG_4797.jpg

And a glimpse inside...

IMG_4804.jpg

Day 6 contd.

At Bandera, my girlfriend ordered the Seared Sashimi Tuna salad...Needless to say, I love anything with a combination of the words "Seared", "Sashimi" and "Tuna", so this was pretty amazing...

IMG_4819.jpg

Jalapeno cornbread is always a safe bet as well

IMG_4822.jpg

And the King of the menu, the Prime Rib French Dip Sandwich...Believe me when I say that this is one of those almost perfect sandwiches you rarely come across...Tender Prime Rib, Crisp bun that turns into the perfect texture after dipped in French dip, and the resulting flavor of the buttery sweet bun, melt in your mouth meat and french dip that will have you drooling for days...This is a Kingly meal indeed!

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

Dip it! Dip it reallll good...

IMG_4837.jpg

You know how I do...

IMG_4876.jpg

The lighting made for some cool pictures which for the most part I decided not to post here lol

IMG_4874.jpg

After the meal we headed outside...bought a hat at GAP for real cheap, 40% off sale price and the guy was wearing APC New Cures at around 8 months...APC's tend to be the most worn denimz I've seen so far around these parts as far as "raw" goes. The sky:

IMG_4888.jpg

We also encountered quite a large rainbow which some guy walking near us swore was a sign of good things to come...

IMG_4926.jpg

Day 6 contd.

Everyone was stopping along the sidewalk to take pictures of the sky...and for good reason...Here you see the Trump tower overlooking the Wrigley Building along Michigan Ave...Chicago has some of my favorite Architecture although admittedly I know nothing about it...

IMG_4933.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

While trying to take pictures of my rain soaked surroundings, a truck drove by and splashed this puddle all over me...

IMG_4954.jpg

IMG_4957.jpg

Finally in the movie theater! River East AMC for the locals wondering...

IMG_4961.jpg

Saw my old pal Woody and Buzz, as mentioned before...

IMG_4973.jpg

Pretend DDR....used to be a pro throughout my highschool career...

IMG_4974.jpg

And afterwards said goodnight to the Chicago sky...

IMG_4985.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

All in all a relaxing (although wet) Summer day in Chicago!

Nice pics and story - good to see another Chicago denim head :)

I got caught up in that storm last night as well. As soon as I got off the bus to head home I was completely drenched head to toe, like I had just taken a shower fully clothed. It seriously happened in a second. Ran all the way home.

On the plus side, my Denimes' got a "soak" and I rediscovered how comfortable my 660s are!

Day 7

Today will be sparse on the updates...Had a pretty uneventful day as I had to work but here is a rundown of how things went:

Woke up around 11 just glad to sleep in and had some cereal. You might soon catch on that Chia seeds are a huge part of my every day diet...

IMG_4990.jpg

Decided to fry up a Spinach omellette on the wok as I was really reaching for things to eat...Hadn't been to the grocery in a while since I just got back from out of town

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

Also decided to cut up all the mangoes (Filipino style...scoop it up with a spoon) that had been sitting around for almost two weeks...As you can tell some of them already went bad...

IMG_4994.jpg

Day 7 contd.

Continuing on with the lazy morning, I sat around and watched Japan actually win a game...My condolences to all the Italians on this board...Pomata cough cough

IMG_4996.jpg

Seeing as how low we were running on all around foodstuffs, we made a run to Whole Foods. The drive on Lake Shore was as pleasant as ever...In the background you can see the John Hancock building which provides a better view than the Willis (former Sears) Tower IMO...

IMG_4998.jpg

I do fear for this crotch in the future...

IMG_5001.jpg

On the way I saw the strangest thing...A car being pulled over by a Police 4 wheeler...

IMG_5003.jpg

Land of Whole Foods! And what can I say? From a fully serviced bar to free samples and the freshest produce you'll find in the city (outside of Farmer's markets which I'm too lazy to wake up for), you could hardly ask for more...

IMG_5005.jpg

The bar actually has on tap a better line up than most college/dive bars around these parts and usually holds Craft Beer events as well.

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5012.jpg

More Whole Food's views

IMG_5015.jpg

I don't even know what this Cinnamon stick thing was but it was heavenly! And free....went back for about 5 more "samples"

IMG_5010.jpg

Not so appetizing outside, however, was this stagnant/oily water along the river outside

IMG_5008.jpg

Day 7 contd.

After stocking up on groceries, we hit up the Whole Food's diner for....BURGERSSSSSSSSSS

IMG_5019.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

What can I say? The BURGERSSSS were pretty good, not the best but good for an empty stomach. We were also treated to a Goose Island goose eating a small child

IMG_5024.jpg

The Whole Foods itself is along a place called Weed Street with fake palm trees and strip clubs galore

IMG_5029.jpg

The ride home

IMG_5033.jpg

This Sunday is Pride Fest and I live in the surrounding area known as Boys Town...It will be a festive time, but more updates on that as it happens...There is a ton of festivals/happenings going on in the city this weekend including Taste Fest where millions of people pack in Grant Park to sample the city's restaurants...You won't catch me there though!

IMG_5035.jpg

And another local favorite of mine, Paciugo, which is actually a Gelato chain but damn if they don't make some of my favorite gelato!

IMG_5037.jpg

When I got home I had to wait for the inevitable...CTA Bus tracker is my life when getting ready for work...Somebody get me out of retail!

IMG_5039.jpg

Came home and took this picture...Sorry, today's updates were about all I could manage! I seem to have the worst schedule this week that leaves me little time to actually go out and do something at appropriate times...

IMG_5042.jpg

Signing out from Chicago!