Burgus Plus world tour

Flash

i wear m in uniqlo :)

Uniqlo Japan(Asia) Size or Uniqlo American size?

I almost screwed up last time when I was buying a t-shirt from Uniqlo in NYC last time..

Uniqlo Sizing: US Size S = Japan(Asia) Size M

Day 12

Today was an interesting day...had to do the usual work but was able to drop by a few places...

Another beautiful day! Low 70's and sunny, my favorite type of weather...

IMG_5323.jpg

Went to bike to Belmont Army, an army surplus store that also has "vintage" clothing, a skate shop, extensive shoe collection (only Red Wing's are of note though really) and more! They also have every issue of the My Freedamn! collection including the Heller's Cafe book for the locals who are keen to check it out...

IMG_5325.jpg

I went straight to the top floor to photograph some "vintage" denim for you all, although it is nothing mindblowing...Just solid fades on 1970's etc. Levi's...I haven't been able to find anything there pre-70's as of yet but they do have a pretty solid Denim jacket collection hanging up from the ceiling...I didn't take pictures of the actual store itself for obvious reasons but was able to sneak into the fitting room with a camera to take these...+rep for those who can guess the correct years along with the telling details! ;) The pictures are all mixed in btw

IMG_5331.jpg

IMG_5335.jpg

IMG_5337.jpg

Some of the last selvage that the 501 line saw for a while...

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

Day 12 contd

More "vintage" shots...The button on this one is a dead giveaway

IMG_5346.jpg

Pretty solid fading for 505's...

IMG_5349.jpg

Oil stains...would be interested to hear the stories that these jeans might tell...

IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5354.jpg

Details details details...

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

IMG_5372.jpg

And even more gratuitous shots

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

Day 12 contd

Before I knew it it was already time for dinner so we cooked up some Mapotofu, veggies and mandoo

The trick is to buy soft silky tofu but firm enough that it won't break up easily...

IMG_5381.jpg

I also prefer the Cook Do brand...

IMG_5384.jpg

Ground turkey and a few peas and you're all set!

IMG_5385.jpg

The secret ingredient? A little bit of Sriracha!

IMG_5388.jpg

IMG_5392.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

Natto!

IMG_5399.jpg

Day 12 contd

The full meal included a salad, stirfried lettuce and brown rice on the side...

IMG_5400.jpg

Afterwards, I had to work a terrible shift, afternoon till close...Wore a variation on my routine outfit

Jcrew shirt, tie, rugby vest as always and tour jeans!:

IMG_5406.jpg

IMG_5409.jpg

And after work I met up with some friends for good times at Lincoln karaoke and while I didn't take any pictures there, I saw even more Police on 4 wheelers!

IMG_5412.jpg

Good night from Chicago!

Uniqlo Japan(Asia) Size or Uniqlo American size?

I almost screwed up last time when I was buying a t-shirt from Uniqlo in NYC last time..

Uniqlo Sizing: US Size S = Japan(Asia) Size M

haha uk M, 38 to 41 chest, but in shirts i wear a small :s

Day 13

Today was yet another beautiful day....Woke up and saw these boats on the water

IMG_5418.jpg

Decided to cook up some fried rice with my leftover brown rice but completely forgot the onions! oops...

IMG_5420.jpg

After lazying around for a few hours I headed downtown with the girlfriend to hit up the Michigan Ave shopping...

Seems like I'm always in this same area

IMG_5422.jpg

I decided to hit up the Water Tower that has been previously mentioned in my former posts. Built in 1869, the Water Tower is one of the few buildings of old Chicago to have survived the 1871 fire. It also supposedly influenced the design of White Castles around the nation...One side serves as a tourist information building, the other houses art work...

IMG_5455.jpg

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5424.jpg

Being a scrub and wearing the same outfit as yesterday...The vest keeps me warm! (It's a bit chilly over here the past two days)

IMG_5426s.jpg

Day 13 contd

Across the street in the shop of 900, a new store by the name of Space 519 (coming to you from the former owners of "Jake") was having their big blowout opening party. On the way there...

IMG_5431.jpg

The store itself is a neat little place that, while featuring mostly womens accessories, clothing etc., also carries a variety of furniture, decor, reading, and more. They don't really have much in yet but plan to carry a few interesting denim brands in the future (Dope & Drakkar, Baldwin, etc. if thats your thing...)....Chicago needs more stores like this where the owners cater completely to the atmosphere and clientele relations...

IMG_5434.jpg

IMG_5446.jpg

There were about 100 who RSVP'd apparently, and they had a nail bar, free food and drinks, product demos, and book signings...

IMG_5447.jpg

And of course, you know I hit up the party for the free food and alcohol...lol...Pizza was from Frankie's, also in the 900 shops building where Mickey Drexler and the his "crew" always eat when they visit the store...

IMG_5436.jpg

What exactly is the 900 shops building? Nothing too crazy really...

IMG_5451.jpg

Random chicago skies...

IMG_5449.jpg

Day 13 contd

John Hancock as usual

IMG_5452.jpg

After the 519 party we hit up the Apple store for internet relief...Here is the iphone that I can't afford

IMG_5460.jpg

And for dinner we checked out a place by recommendation of my girlfriends sister, who admittedly may or may not have the same tastes as my girlfriend and I...

What do you know....more Thai food!

IMG_5462.jpg

IMG_5461.jpg

Food was alright, if not a bit salty...Ordered the Singapore noodles which was actually really good...The texture of the noodles had me at hello

IMG_5463.jpg

IMG_5465.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

On the way back we also walked by another Chicago institute, Garret's Popcorn which is, to be honest, not worth the long lines and definitely doesn't taste as good as it smells!

IMG_5468.jpg

And as I update this post for you now, I wait for my laundry to finish...The jeans weren't a part of this load btw!

IMG_5473.jpg

Good night!

its pretty funny because everywhere i go i keep seeing asian food places that serve something called "singapore noodles" but right here in singapore, i have NEVER tried nor seen anywhere that sells this. hahaha.

Surely in Singapore, they're just called "noodles"!

Day 14

Today was yet another beautiful day here in Chicago...Not sure how many more days we'll have like this but low 70's with a cool lake effect breeze equal perfection in my book!

Worked all day but got out "early" around 6...Surprisingly, the bus was empty!

IMG_5474.jpg

Got home to a surprise from my girlfriend...an iPad?!

IMG_5484.jpg

For dinner we tried our luck at okonomiyaki but lacked some of the main ingredients (depending on regional flair that is) like shrimp, pork, etc. Regardless, it was a good meal (also had a hearty vegetable soup and a chicken/broccoli mix but didn't upload photos)

IMG_5486.jpg

After eating, we decided to take advantage of the amazing weather...Off on a bike ride we go!

IMG_5494.jpg

I live right across the street from Belmont Harbor where many yachts are kept. They also have sailing classes regularly in this area so it's always fun to see the view

IMG_5491.jpg

Our biking course was straight down south along the Lakeshore...Every day you'll see countless people running, biking, and heading to the beach to play volleyball, bask in the sun, and check people out.

IMG_5500.jpg

Not at the beach yet!

IMG_5515.jpg

Day 14 contd

Scrub wear for biking

IMG_5516.jpg

I couldn't stop taking pictures of the view...I need a better camera!

IMG_5544.jpg

For those who didn't know, Chicago does actually have real beaches! Although it is fresh water so you'll have to take your chances with bacteria etc. that you usually wouldn't get in salt water...

IMG_5546.jpg

IMG_5554.jpg

When I bike the jeans ride a bit lower on the hips than usual...

IMG_5564.jpg

Desert boots in the sand?! Who would've thought...

IMG_5569.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

The view speaks for itself really

IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5596.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

Day 14 contd

Sat along the water for a bit to take in the view...

IMG_5604.jpg

The birds around here can get kind of confrontational!

IMG_5618.jpg

Tried to get in Navy Pier (far left), John Hancock and Trump Tower as well as Willis (Formerly Sears) Tower all in the picture but couldn't...The city looks smaller when looking down south as in this picture but expands alot farther out...

IMG_5624.jpg

IMG_5630.jpg

Lone runner in the night

IMG_5643.jpg

Heading back up north to (what we thought) Borders

IMG_5648.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

We ended up getting of the Lakeshore path a bit earlier than Belmont to intersect Diversey road but ended up at the

which has become famously publicized in reports like this:

I've never actually been there when things heat up, but they do serve up some intensely delicious Chicago style hot dogs which I believe to this day to be the best hot dogs on earth. Yeah, I said it! lol

The Weiner's Circle specifically, are well known for their Char Dog's which have the most amazing texture when you bite into the dog...A little crisp from the char grilled lines and then that juicy beef is released...Topped with celery salt, relish, tomatoes, peppers and pickles, the Chicago style hot dog is the king of dogs!

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg

Day 14 contd

Weiner's Circle has become somewhat of a Chicago institution because of its negative publicity, and if you didn't watch the video above, basically a bunch of drunk people get away with yelling profanities at the workers who in turn yell profanities back. The tip jar up front says "Bitches need tips too"....But who really cares about all that with dogs this good!

IMG_5663.jpg

Borders (bookstore) was closed so we decided to rid our disappointment in a few spoonfulls of Gelato from Paciugo! Bike ride on the way there:

IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

Paciugo gets more and more popular everyday...I say with pleasure that we've been loyal since day one and haven't looked back since!

IMG_5697.jpg

Longgggg line that only got longer

IMG_5698.jpg

Flavors galore!

IMG_5699.jpg

IMG_5700.jpg

I ended up ordering Apple Pie, Caramel Apple, and Bacon flavors...Perfect way to end the night!

IMG_5702.jpg

And that was my day....Looking forward to the holiday weekend, and I have a few guests coming in so should have lots to do!

Good night from Chicago

Day 15

How long can this beautiful weather last? Yet another clear sunny day here in Chicago...Even the blimps were a buzzing outside my window

IMG_5707.jpg

Woke up around 11 to pick up some guests from Union Station...Driving downtown provided these views

IMG_5713.jpg

I'll most likely have better shots and info about all these sites at later updates as these are just quick pictures taken from the car...Apologies for the dirty window!

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5722.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5731.jpg

IMG_5732.jpg

IMG_5736.jpg

Day 15 contd

Happy Independence Day to all my fellow American's!

IMG_5741.jpg

Chicago has a system of underground "highways" (that are mostly under construction right now for some reason) that they filmed in the Batman movie...This is almost part of it, but a bit further down...

IMG_5747.jpg

Our guests begged for us to take them to Hot Doug's, my favorite hot dog joint in the city, and I believe Chicago style to be the hands down best! And for me personally, it doesn't get much better than Hot Doug's...

IMG_5753.jpg

Going to Hot Doug's, however, can be an event in itself taking up around 2 to 3 hours of your day depending on your luck. The wait is worth it though!

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

Got bored waiting in line...

IMG_5758.jpg

Along the street parks an Ice Cream truck, at probably one of the most convenient hot spots in town. Save you cash for the real food though! Hot Doug's only accepts cash...

IMG_5760.jpg

Almost there!

IMG_5765.jpg

The glorious menu

IMG_5768-1.jpg

IMG_5770.jpg

Day 15 contd

All in all it was a fast wait considering the line...1 and a half hours for this glorious meal!

IMG_5780.jpg

Steamed Original Dog with everything...Chicago style FTW

IMG_5775.jpg

2 Char Grilled Originals with everything

IMG_5783.jpg

And let's not forget the Duck Fat Fries!

IMG_5781.jpg

Save the Foie Gras Duck dog for the tourists! I'm fine with just the basics...

IMG_5785.jpg

On the way home we saw a grotesque pair of ladies who felt the need to air out their bodies...

IMG_5788.jpg

After a few hours of rest, it was time for yet another meal! We decided to hit up Viet Town for Pho Xe Tang, our personal favorite Vietnamese Restaurant.

IMG_5792.jpg

IMG_5799.jpg

Sorry folks, additional charge for that extra penis...

IMG_5800-1.jpg

Mango smoothie to seal the deal

IMG_5804.jpg

Day 15 contd

The broth wasn't as good as normal today but still better than average...

IMG_5806.jpg

Add that lime, sprouts and basil and you're all set! Sriracha and Hoisin on the side please...

IMG_5808.jpg

At night we decided to check out the rooftop for drinks at Zed 451...

IMG_5809.jpg

IMG_5812.jpg

IMG_5815.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

Rooftop

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

The view actually kind of sucks since it's only two floors

IMG_5851.jpg

Day 15 contd

They close the roof at 12 so afterwards we decided to take our guests to the Signature Lounge on the 96th floor at the John Hancock building to take in even more views...The drinks aren't that great but it's worth it to go up to the Signature Lounge as you get to drink and you'd pay about the same to visit the Willis Tower or the top floor of the John Hancock for the same view but with no alcohol...

IMG_5884-1.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

I also like the view better at the John Hancock as you get to see the Trump Tower and Willis Tower facing south which is more dramatic...

IMG_5900.jpg

It's a long way down folks!

IMG_5904-1.jpg

IMG_5907-1.jpg

A glimpse of Navy Pier

IMG_5914-1.jpg

The actual bar

IMG_5923-1.jpg

We called it an early night as tomorrow will be a long day of even more food and shopping...

IMG_5880.jpg

Good night!

IMG_5925-1.jpg

Day 16

Wow, over half way through my tour entries today...And a good day it surely was!

Decided to head out to Andersonville today to take the guests to the standard blow your mind breakfast meal at M.Henry's...

IMG_5931-1.jpg

A chicago parking meter

IMG_5929-1.jpg

Some of you may recognize this place and the amazingly photogenic food as I always drop by for world Tour's...

IMG_5934-1.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

Since we had a few guests I was able to take a bit more pictures of variety and also try different foods...Surprisingly, we got seated right away! I love that the tourists only visit the major tourist zones (taste fest, etc.)...On a usual day it would take up to an hour + wait...Check out this omelette (I think my favorite omellette in Chicago is at Lou Mitchell's, a touristy type place but famously known as the starting point of Route 66...Fluffiest omellettes you'll ever have!)

IMG_5951.jpg

A salad

IMG_5955.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the bacon as I just dug in right away...So crispy and light, somehow after the initial crunchiness it melts away in your mouth! Applewood bacon...

IMG_5957.jpg

It doesn't get any better than this....Combination of the French Toast, Pecans, banana and syrup will blow your mind....

IMG_5961.jpg

Went for a walk afterwards

IMG_5971.jpg

Day 16 contd

More Andersonville walking

IMG_5972.jpg

Just down the street from M.Henry is one of the best Japanese places in town...Sunshine Cafe...Home cooked Japanese food (by real Japanese owners/chefs! lol)

IMG_5976.jpg

Ended up at a Brown Elephant (one of many locations)...This particular one makes use of an old abandoned theater

IMG_5978.jpg

A few interesting things but unfortunately no denim or shoes...

IMG_5979.jpg

A pretty large space

IMG_5980.jpg

IMG_5986s.jpg

The details are pretty interesting

IMG_5988.jpg

IMG_5989.jpg

Dirty mirrors

IMG_5991.jpg

Music for the cowboy in all of us!

IMG_5994.jpg

Day 16 contd

More Brown Elephant finds

IMG_5996.jpg

IMG_5997.jpg

Afterwards the girls wanted to hit up Wicker Park for Marc by Marc Jacobs and more shopping...Apartment No.9 is just down the street but kind of boring to be honest...

IMG_5998.jpg

Flat Iron building

IMG_6006.jpg

After shopping, with the heat burning us all, we had to visit iCream for some crazy good ice cream that is made on the spot to your order specifications

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6019.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

For my order, I mixed vanilla and cinnamon flavor ice cream topped off with cookie dough

IMG_6036.jpg

It was hot as hail...wish all places had mist like this

IMG_6041.jpg