skateboarding saved my life

im thinking of picking up skateboarding. Thing is that im 24 and have no experience w/ it. Is it too late?

I want to do it because I snowboard/ski, but live in the midwest...so i have few chances to actually get out on the mountains. I figure skatebaording would be a good alternative

Darren Harper got his first big break at 24. Means there is hope for us all. Just depends on who you know. Darren got picked up by Famous Stars and Straps about 2 years ago, and now has just been added to the DGK fam. I am 23 and keeping my fingers crossed. I run with a lot of DGK kids but just broke my leg skating. This may have just ended my skating career, but I'm keeping my head up.

quick question - are chuck tailors ok to skate in? they're the only sneaker type shoe I have atm and they feel considerably grippier than my vans from a decade ago. I know grippy is supposed to be good, but when im attempting kickflips with them they don’t seem to slide off the board, but rather grip and pull. Anyone have a problem with pulling off flip tricks in chucks?

quick question - are chuck tailors ok to skate in? they're the only sneaker type shoe I have atm and they feel considerably grippier than my vans from a decade ago. I know grippy is supposed to be good, but when im attempting kickflips with them they don’t seem to slide off the board, but rather grip and pull. Anyone have a problem with pulling off flip tricks in chucks?

They dont offer any ankle support and will get ripped to shreds if you are doing alot of flip tricks. If you are just cruisin' around they will be fine.

Edit: I have never actually had a problem doing tricks in them - havent had that griping problem you mention.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Man.. nothing that I love more than skating on a nice day with some friends... Every summer semester off school, I skate from April to August, and through September if the weather permits... Been going strong for about 5 years almost now... I took my board to japan too (my friend told me he had a skater friend)... he took me to some cool spots and even cooler parks around Tokyo.. good times

any of these skateboards good enough?

http://www.modells.com/family/index.jsp

newbian, i hope you didn't buy a board from modells. go to a skate shop and just talk to someone who works there. most of the time, they're very helpful.

i've been skating for about a year and a half... but i still suck. i finally got my ollie down a few months ago but that's probably cuz i skate inconsistently.

question: anyone think pop shuvit is easier than an ollie? lots of people say pop shuvit is much easier but i can't get that shit down.

what a n00b. :(

Although I haven't really skated in the past few years much, I've been in it since the early 90's. Many, many many scars, messed up ankles and wrists and shins to remind me of the good times though.

Probably one of my favorite skate memories involved seeing my favorite skater at my local skatepark--Ronnie Creager. Dude was killing a bank-to-bank with a 8 foot gap in between. When the best trick I ever saw anybody do on it was John Cardiel and Tony Trujillo ollie it a few weeks before Ronnie Creager was there, he fs 180'd it first try, went up the quarter pipe on the other side and swith kflipped it. Later he kickflipped the whole thing (first try again) and went up the quarter pipe to do a 360 flip with ease. He wasn't even trying the tricks-just doing them, that's how next-level that guy is. Ever see the end of Trilogy when he does like, 5 or 6 switch tailslides in a row?

Shuv its are prolly easier than an ollie, pop shuv's are combing both them. It'ss right in there with the basic yet done right a very styley trick..Everyone learns different tricks at different paces. Anyway just skate as much as you can and have fun, lilodxd...Yeah i agree with you twistedtrees, Creager is the man. The blind team came to my shop/park for a demo a few years ago. The team skated well, but it was pretty much a one man creager show...He KILLED EVERYTHING in Sight. Most of the shit was first try too, like crazy switch flips over the big flat, switch hards, tres so much shit was thrown down...Blind team is mad chill, we played PSP poker in the back for abit..

don t buy pro decks, so damn expensive. When you get good, you ll just break them every month. Go get some powell blanks. I loved their 7.75", slap some your trucks of choice on there, get bones reds bearings and blank powell wheels, and a pair of es accels off ebay and you are ready to go with a cheap setup that is awesome.

i don t agree with buying pro decks. see... most of the pro with decks skate for the huge companies and live in the hollywood hills getting drunk ever night.

I guess powell isn t much better, but if you want to be conscious about where your money is going you should support your local shop and buy their blanks. If you are in Toronto, go buy shred blanks, skatersinc blanks or adrift blanks.

most local pros bust their ass and can t get sponsored by the big guys, if you really want to support them buy their spare product for cheap.

what did you ride before krooked? they haven t been around that long have they? it sounds like you skate a lot, don t you hate paying so much for a deck with a pretty graphic that is going to break in a month tops?

EDIT: I don t skate anymore, this should be written in the past tense.

sometimes... sometimes i get them cheap... but i will pay to make sure im not getting cheap wood. i also would like my money to go to a skater run company, so powell is out of the question.

actually... now that i think about it... im riding a localy made board right now, as i was too broke to buy a pro deck(HA!!)

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

ok noob question: is there a good forum for asking noobish skateboarding questions?

im trying to learn how to ollie properly on this POS my brother gave me so i am going to kop a nice board.

i wanna ask what kinda trunks size etc i should get... my local shop is solid but almost double the price of a board i can buy online somewhere... problem is i dont know much about what to get.

I am 6'1" and wear 11 size shoes, weigh about 180

i was thinking of getting a 7.75 board, 53mm wheels, but not sure about what kinda trunks to get.... some sorta mids?

www.ccs.com and http://www.zumiez.com// have some pretty good deals on complete boards.... cost about 80 bucks shipped or so... if i kopped a board at my local shop , they estimated it would be around 150 so yeah...

any advice for me?

ok noob question: is there a good forum for asking noobish skateboarding questions?

im trying to learn how to ollie properly on this POS my brother gave me so i am going to kop a nice board.

i wanna ask what kinda trunks size etc i should get... my local shop is solid but almost double the price of a board i can buy online somewhere... problem is i dont know much about what to get.

I am 6'1" and wear 11 size shoes, weigh about 180

i was thinking of getting a 7.75 board, 53mm wheels, but not sure about what kinda trunks to get.... some sorta mids?

www.ccs.com and http://www.zumiez.com// have some pretty good deals on complete boards.... cost about 80 bucks shipped or so... if i kopped a board at my local shop , they estimated it would be around 150 so yeah...

any advice for me?

what are you tring to do with your skateboard? you gonna be doing little fliptricks in front of your house for hours a day? you saw fully flared and want to do some ledge dancing? you wanna just push around to the bar? you wanna skate a mega ramp?

you need to go to your local shop and stand on a board so you find one thats comfortable under your feet. you need the guy workng behind the counter to hel you get what you need... thats why you support a local shop. also, if youre not willing to support your local skate scene you dont need to be skating.

the dudes at my skateshop here are like you can get pretty much anything dude... not the most helpful guys

he did recommend at my size and that i am want to learn mostly street shit that an 8" board with some 52-54mm wheels would be good so i can learn the proper foot positions...

they had a local brand board that came out to 120 total. but damn a CCS complete board is only like 70 bucks... thats alot cheaper!

btw where do i find those 20% off coupons?