skateboarding saved my life

• 4 weeks later...

that video is rad, and this is gonna go off on a tangent, but so fucking funny and amazing it is to me how easy it is to completely rebrand anything in a couple simple steps. And people fall for it. 2 years ago Quik was meaningless to anyone in skate. They've had a great team before, an amazing team, they make just as decent stuff in terms of "quality" that anyone else at the comparable pricepoint does, but none of that matters. The brand image as a whole has never been relevant in skate. But wait, someone in marketing had a brilliant idea (showcasing real LA is pretty rad, I'll give credit there), dub in some kitschy music, send a check to a super talented, yet not entirely well known pro, at least to the average skateboarder, and BLAM. Quik is sort of cool all of a sudden. If not "cool", than at least "tolerable" But maybe they'll shift to "cool" somehow, some other emerging pro will have a Quiksilver part pop up, and the momentum builds... But then the suits at Quik pull the plug, cut everyone, and go back to making royal blue logo tees for the midwest off price customer because that's exactly who and what they are, and will always be. That video would have been more amazing, and actually made me sort of like Quik better if they didn't have the glaring red logo the whole time. Just a quick hit at the end and even I woulda been like "I sort of don't mind Quiksilver in this element for some reason". But at the end of the day it's still just Quiksilver. Sort of pulls the curtain back on all the non-endemic sporting goods brands for a second. Nike, Adidas, Cons, NB, etc...it's all the same. Just marketed in a way to convince us all that they are authentic, at least temporarily. Full disclosure I just bought those Adidas Eldridge's on Monday, and they're amazing, but whatever.

I will give eternal props to good marketing people. The people who truly understand their market and how to speak to their audience, and they get paid to take something like Quik or Nike or Quaker Oatmeal and make it cool. Anything could be rebranded to make you think it's cool, and it's so easy. Given the right budget we'd all be dickriding MacBeth shoes or Arnette as something incredible, just if they were marketed in the right way with the right paid appearances in support of. I can't remember who said it, it might have been Gino or Mariano, but something along the lines of "I get gifted free shit all the time. The cool stuff is the stuff I don't get given, and still want to pay for"

God I hope that quote wasn't referring to Supreme. I think it might have been.

i usually x out those ad things on these youtube shits. it didnt actually occur to me it was quiksilver until you mentioned it. in any case, that video was shot in and around downtown. just west of dt to pico/union macarthur park. that shit is dope, and it looks like they went as far east as mission road so technically they were in eastlos. didnt really bother to go south at all which is the last bastion of real LA. to me, downtown has lost a most of its charm in the last decade.

Edited by jichan

skating has straight up defined my life. More so in the last couple of years. I just moved to Long Beach too so its rad to see all these famous street spots.. skateboarders are adapters and look at the world so differently from everyone else. realizing this mentality has helped my design work, and my overall attitude towards life a lot. without skateboarding, i'd be a boring and unmotivated human being with nothing to offer the world

I don't skate anymore. I'm 22, I think the 13/14 year old me would hate the now me very much. Sometimes when I'm driving home from class and see these lames on longboards. I don't think there's anything more infuriating than a garbage ass push. I don't wanna rant though

This is my whip that sits unused in the garage. 

8739198938_725ca3a767.jpg

My Indy's have gotten to that coveted stage where the bushings are fucking perfect and the trucks are almost worn down to the axle. So many slappies. 

I wish I knew someone with a miniramp 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I barely skate anymore but when I did I could never really do any tricks besides ollie and shove-it.  I got really discouraged trying (and failing) to do tricks so I ended up cruising on my dad's old board all the time.  

Images are too large so i'll post imgur links

http://i.imgur.com/GUuEm1E.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/D8KQbZR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DgVZnbx.jpg

This thing is like my child.  iirc my dad bought this in '78 or '79, all the parts are still original and it glides smooth as ever.  It drifts to the left really hard though so it's almost unusable, I'll have to fix it p soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't skate anymore. I'm 22, I think the 13/14 year old me would hate the now me very much. Sometimes when I'm driving home from class and see these lames on longboards. I don't think there's anything more infuriating than a garbage ass push. I don't wanna rant though

This is my whip that sits unused in the garage. 

8739198938_725ca3a767.jpg

My Indy's have gotten to that coveted stage where the bushings are fucking perfect and the trucks are almost worn down to the axle. So many slappies. 

I wish I knew someone with a miniramp 

When i was little i had a pair i couldn't come close to putting a socket on they were so grinded down. Those were the days.

Next up

polar boards have the greatest top graphics

but i don't have the patience to custom cut-out the grip myself

not into wacky grip tape jobs but this graphic is hilarious haha

vF37Tnw.jpg

some local shit.  This was a competition at a park built next to where I went to high school in memory of a student there who died while longboarding.  We had a really good skate community down there, though the park definitely wasn't beginner friendly

• 2 weeks later...