skateboarding saved my life

^ Good luck. Just dont get in other ppls way and you will be fine. :]

Wondering if it's just going to be a bunch of young 15 year olds or if there'll be some college-age folks there. I found some reviews of the place online from older dudes that dug it so I have high hopes :)

I'm not a good skater, though. I suck, as a matter of fact. I can ollie and pop shove it and kickflip occasionally. I can sometimes get 180 flips, too.

i can only land basic stuff but that wasl like 3 years ago.. i dont have the balls to try 12 foot hight stairs but nonetheless skateboarding lead me to what i am now

the love of good music, colors and other stupid crap

1st deck was the deck with a horn pretty funny

my last deck was hook ups it was that great but i love the graphic

and still looking for that white hook up skates shoes with the girl logo

I checked out the park today, it was pretty fun even though I suck ass.

I can't even ollie off of a funbox, but I managed to kickflip off of it. On accident, though.

How do you ollie off a funbox? like, where do I start the ollie? if i wait til i'm on the platform i can do it - haha... but how do i do it off the ramp? where should my front wheel be when i start it/how do i shift my weight?

I checked out the park today, it was pretty fun even though I suck ass.

I can't even ollie off of a funbox, but I managed to kickflip off of it. On accident, though.

How do you ollie off a funbox? like, where do I start the ollie? if i wait til i'm on the platform i can do it - haha... but how do i do it off the ramp? where should my front wheel be when i start it/how do i shift my weight?

at the edge is when you pop.

i skated for about six, seven years... and when i was 17, drunk on my own ego, i attempted to land an ollie off of a 20-stair at a subway station near where i live.

and broke my leg.

started skating again this year, just cruising around or whatever. funny though; i used to ride regular, now i HAVE to ride goofy or it just feels wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh such a great thread. A good inspirational person you all should deffently check out is Mike Vallely. Some of you i'm sure know who he is, he made such great movies about his life and how skateboarding saved his life. The words he uses and the style he has makes him my favorite skater of all time for the past 6 years. He's from my home town of Edison New Jersey and like i said in the videos he made he shows there is hope for everybody, all you have to do is lead the way and try your hardest/best.

Heh... I hate Mike V, he just seems like such an idiot, if you want creative or 'innovative' skating look up someone with a bit of style like Micah Hollinger, Jack Sabback or Zach Lyons, seriously good stuff.

As you can probably tell I'm still skating, and am very much still into it. So my period of skateboarding would be now, and to be honest we've never really had it better. We can complain all we want but if you watch the quality of any vid now it's insane (other than certain notable exceptions such as the Pig video urghhh...).

Favourite part right now is Drebhol in Krooked Kronichles, mad good. Kids throwing themselves down massive sets of stairs doesn't really do anything for me, just seems stupid and doesn't set them apart anymore (see Corey Duffel, another boring skateboarder).

Trick I learnt most recently was Nollie bs cabs off stuff, crusing is the best part, doing little ollies over manholes and powerslides. Powerslides are pretty much the best trick ever invented.

haha..mike vallely..hes paid his dues imo, but im not a big fan of his style either...heh...edison, nj..i lived there for awhile..

oh yea, what i was gonna also say about mike v...anybody see that skate video he's in when he single handedly beats up a bunch of jocks that drive by and make fun of him while hes skating?? dude just takes off his shirt and crushes like three of em...

haha..mike vallely..hes paid his dues imo, but im not a big fan of his style either...heh...edison, nj..i lived there for awhile..

oh yea, what i was gonna also say about mike v...anybody see that skate video he's in when he single handedly beats up a bunch of jocks that drive by and make fun of him while hes skating?? dude just takes off his shirt and crushes like three of em...

haha... seen that vid on the net. I love the way he takes off his shirt as if its a big deal, sort of no more Mr. niceguy thing.

I skated from when I was 8 to 20, I had to stop on the 3rd time I dislocated my knee. My knee just can't take it anymore.

I still follow it though, for newish videos I've been loving Zero's "Dying to Live" Chris Cole is amazing. And Enjoi's "Bag of Suck"

I love Jerry Hsu's part.

I'm fortunate to come from San Jose, as the skate scene is very friendly and fun!

One thing about skating/surfing that I noticed is once you've skated for a few years or maybe even months of your life. You will continue to graduate towards skate culture even when you're not physically skating/surfing anymore. Atleast that's how it is for me.

Heh... I hate Mike V, he just seems like such an idiot

As much as it's your own thought. I would like to see why you think he is an idiot??? He paved the way for many skaters and had his own styl that everyone grew to love and surport. I was and still is an old school skater and if it was for old school you wouldn't have new school. As much as your gonna say mad shit about this post, i don't care that much much you had your thoughts these are mine. I'm not trying to start shit or anything i'm just sayin how Mike V was a good inspirational skater. Skateboarding did in fact saved his life and he showed the world how he accomplished he higher goals.

As has already been stated in this thread Mike V fights people and so on. Millions of people have seen that video with the title ' skateboarder fights 3 jocks and wins' or something like that. It gives skateboarding a bad image, it would be much nicer if skateboarders had a good clean image so we wouldn't get kicked out of all the spots we try to skate after 5 minutes. People don't respect us, we can't get funding for parks because we're 'just a bunch of kids', and yet they still wonder why we skate the streets rather than the crappy little council park with burnt ramps. Of course it's a good thing that Mike V discovered skateboarding, and it took him away from some bad things in life, but he's not to my tastes, just like many people don't like Dan Gesmer. Anyway cool to see you answering my post NoSide.

As has already been stated in this thread Mike V fights people and so on. Millions of people have seen that video with the title ' skateboarder fights 3 jocks and wins' or something like that. It gives skateboarding a bad image, it would be much nicer if skateboarders had a good clean image so we wouldn't get kicked out of all the spots we try to skate after 5 minutes. People don't respect us"

Ok i see your point but once again you can't just see that one clip and not know whats actually going on. The reason that whole thing started is becasue Mike and some other skaters went into a 711 and as they were leaven a bunch of jokers from a near college were drunk and sayin mad shit. And Mike waved it off like "w/e who cares a bunch of stupid drunk college kids" and the college kids said that mike better watch his mouth or they will kick his ass and he replied "thats funny i bet i can take all four of you on my own". another smart reply from the kids and mike took them all out. SO i can see why you would THINK he is setting a bad image but at the same time he's showing us not to be bitches, stand up for the shit you beleave in. Sure he regreats it watch "Mike V's greatest hits" it's about all his fight and he explains everything out in full detail. You can't judge from one little clip you saw you need to see the whole thing to understand. You can't honestly sit there and tell me if some kids were sayin shit to you, you would sit there and do nothing about it????

Also you said "it would be much nicer if skateboarders had a good clean image so we wouldn't get kicked out of all the spots we try to skate after 5 minutes. People don't respect us, we can't get funding for parks because we're 'just a bunch of kids',"

yes it would be nice to be able to skate spots with out getting a prob but you gotta see it form their point of views. We are getting thrown out because we are fucking up their shit. Runining somehtign we didn't pay to be made. Skaters skating spots and fucking them up wiht wax and grinding and shit is the reason we get thrown out. There's nothing at all we can do about that at all. WE either ruin private property or we are causeing disturbence or something.....As of the part you said about the skateparks and us just being kids and not being able to do nothing about it... There is most deffently shit you can do just like here in Edison he had absolutly nothing. We got MAD MAD MAD kids to sign wavers we pushed shit for years and we finally got one. As long as you beleave in getting somehtign like a skatepark you gotta do what you gotta do to get something. Trust me i'm not sayin it's easy but it happens over time not over night. You work real fucking hard at it you'll get it.

Anyway cool to see you answering my post NoSide.

just wasn't sure if that was sarcasism or not. If so than oh ok cool. If not than no prob.

yes it would be nice to be able to skate spots with out getting a prob but you gotta see it form their point of views. We are getting thrown out because we are fucking up their shit. Runining somehtign we didn't pay to be made. Skaters skating spots and fucking them up wiht wax and grinding and shit is the reason we get thrown out. There's nothing at all we can do about that at all. WE either ruin private property or we are causeing disturbence or something....

I see your point, but if you have a look at the whole Love Park thing it just seems people are unwilling to open their eyes. Ken Block (head of DC) was willing to pay for all the damages that skaters created at Love Park and keep it nice and clean, but the city refused his offer. I just can't get that. With skaters Love Park was seen as an area you could go without being hasselled, sort of if those little skater kids can skate here without fear than why can't I, a fully grown man go and have my lunch there, but now it's run over with tramps.

Quote:Originally Posted by marksandspencers

Anyway cool to see you answering my post NoSide.

just wasn't sure if that was sarcasism or not. If so than oh ok cool. If not than no prob.

Nah it wasn't sarcasm. I can just about remember the days where you could see a skater a mile off and say hello to anyone wearing Vans, knowing that they could probably lend you a sofa to sleep on or just show you around.

I remember everything that was going on wiht Love park. Kerry Getz and his shop rigiht down the street was doing htere part to save love park them selves. Making "Free Love Park" shirts and all this other shit he was doing to make money. They had a shit load of ads in the 411'a too. Shows how much respect we get when we do soooooo much to help save one of the worlds best skate spots, and nothign happens besides it going b ye bye.

• 1 month later...

inspired by this thread, amongst other things, went and bought a new setup after 7 years of not skating. half price zero board, destructos, spitfires, bones reds.

took it down to the city skatepark, deserted in the middle of the night. couldn't land shit but the most fun i've had in ages.

thank you.

turn your shoulders as youre coming out of the bs nosegrind... before you start to turn your feet... that should get you out of it. ive been working on fs crooks pop over on a flat bar... that shit is tough... and always bs noseblunts.... i can land one a day usually.

yeah... there are some guys here in jax that do them like its nothing... regular and switch. i dont even do it because everyone else does... i try to do different shit.

but you reminded me of a trick im gonna do today... been trying for a while and gave up... fs nosegrind shoveits...

I've been skating for a long ass time(11yrs), i couldn't imagine my life without skating in it. Saved me from drugs, partying way to much etc. etc i had a bad run for awhile and skateboarding has always had my back. Anyway i manage a park/shop so i get to skate pretty much everyday after work(depending on how my knees feel), and get to talk about skating and shit all day. Pretty sick, I really havent changed all that much since I was 14years old..hehe

Erm... I'd take that question to a real skateboarding forum. It can get quite detailed! Depends on what you'd be skating (vert/mini/street). To be honest you won't notice the difference at first. Whatever you do don't buy blanks, they take away much needed money from pro's out there. Pro's need money to buy food! I tend to buy local boards, support local companies, people I know etc. Height can affect the length of your board, but your really not gonna notice it, the difference between 31 inches and 33 inches is minimal at this stage. Width is probably more important, bigger the deck worse it flips (probably not gonna be attempting those just yet), but wider decks are easier to stay on. Wide decks are about 8.0+. An average board would probably be 7.75 inches wide. I'm in the UK so I can't exactly recommend any websites over there. Goddamn that was long and went just about nowhere.

edit: Oh, and you're not gonna notice much about the shape, concave don't do jack for beginners.

this thread is awsome nice to see so many skaters up in here. Been skating since 86 myself and still do it. Not quite that often these days since i work so much. But to me riding my board late at night is the ultimate mind cleaner. 20 years of skating and will never stop. If they put me in a wheel chair i am sure i will find a way to flip that sucker. Good luck on pullin your tricks.