skateboarding saved my life

inspired by the hardcore thread...

so ive been doing this shit since... off and on from 89 to 93, constant since 93... and i really dont know where i would be without it. its been the one constant in my life, when everything was falling down around me i knew i could just skate and clear my mind. ive met alot of interesting people, and i konw that no matter where i go, i can skate and have friends. its opened my eyes to alot of new music, art, styles, ideas, etc....

without skateboarding i wouldnt be who or where i am today.

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

me too man

getting up in years now so i've switched to longboarding-----keeps it simple------my favorite memories of growing up skating are of downhilling and going fast, not going slow and fokking up my shins doing pointless flip tricks----------now it is all about skating at night when the traffic has settled down with pavement songs repeating in my head

out on my skateboard, the night is just humming

im still on a regular board, but im only 25 so i have a long way to go.

its a meditation for me now tho. i can clear my mind and let my body do what it has to do to land the trick. most relaxing thing in the world.

simplicity we use to survive, do what you doing properly, thats the way thru life

i'd always been interested in skating since i was young, but never actually went ahead and started skating. i fucked around on a loaner deck for awhile when i was ten, but all it did was cement my love for skate culture rather than make me skate hard... maybe i was frustrated, not yet dedicated enough to actually do something.

i just picked up skating again now that i turned twenty and it's slowly filling in all the cracks in the concrete of my young life... i feel kind of like i'm consummating a decade-long love affair that lost direction. things feel like they've come full circle for me, simply because i finally paid attention to that weird desire in me that never let my strange apprehension completely extinguish the will to skate.

These are some of my livesavers...

Natas Kaupas panther 2

Airwalk VIC, prototype tailslide

Streets of Fire Vid

Corey Obrien Reaper

Bones Brigade

Ray Barbee no comply

Amen to Skateboarding, skate and destory!!

Edited by seaskull on Mar 31, 2006 at 08:28 AM[MVC-035F]

Edited by seaskull on Mar 31, 2006 at 08:33 AM

I skate now just to cruise. Nothing of those hardcore tricks I did back in the days. Skateboarding is like 25% of the theme in my dreams. It's that bad... I miss doing tricks so much... since I dislocated my shoulder and now that my knees are starting to fall apart from ageing hahaha. My attitude towards everything has been much influenced by skate culture 'til now. DIY, going against the norm, being rebellious, fuck you attitude. hahaha

Notables:

Christian Hosoi

John Lucero

Ray Barbee

Salba

Mike Vallely

Jeff Grosso

Decks:

Skull & Sword

Kendall with Nuclear Missle in hand

Big Time Hawk

Klaus Grabke Alarm clock mascot

Yeah fricken Mullen... that slim freestyle deck and the timeless skeleton chessboard graphics... and of course Nordic skull decks from peir weilander....

Remember Hosoi Christ Air!

Other goods...

Fly paper

Skate rags

rip grips

ollie pads

neon swatch watches, 2 per wrist

GATOR

Oh man... padded rip grips. I know its was so gay. but I did have them on my board. Per Wellender's skull design must be the best skull I've seen ever! Do you remember that cheesy Hollywood movie "Thrashin'"?

ok... influences here

ZOO YORK circa 1994-1995

Underacheviers(most complete vid ever)

Philly

Underworld element

questionable

welcome to hell

hensley

gonz

'reem

koston

carrol

howard

mariano

Plan B

oyola

reason

the muthafukin clyzza

first board: matt hensley h-streethst_hensley_churchglassnos.jpg

i remember THRASHIN! all I remember was some guy was snaked by some other dude: thumb tacks + half pipe. that was a looooong time ago

what about GLEAMING THE CUBE (renamed A BROTHER's VENGEANCE for TV)? haaa!!! my favorite quote from that spoken by Tony Hawk in a helicopter: "there's my mom's house, there's my dad's house, and there's disneyland!!!"

how about Police Academy um 3? featuring bones brigaders in a parking garage? ILL!

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 31, 2006 at 10:22 AM

Yeah, for better or for worse, I'd be a totally different person today if hadn't skated from 1986 to about five years ago. I got exposed to situations/things/people I would have never come into contact with.

It feels sad that I had to quit, especially since I never got around to learning some things I wanted to do (like ride tranny better). But it's hard on your body, and I had to "grow up" and do something with my life at some point, so I just quit cold-turkey while I was still ahead.

Still can't walk by a newstand w/o reading Thrasher/Transworld though, and I'm still looking for something similar that'll fill the same void in my life that that stupid, four-wheeled plank once did.

In a way i could say skateboarding ruined my life....

it wasn't very popular where i live, and a lot of people hated on me. All i wanted to do was skate, i didn't socialize much or talk to girls, never wanted to do my schoolwork etc, it totally consumed me

i didnt realize how obsessed i was until i quit.

Quote:

i remember THRASHIN! all I remember was some guy was snaked by some other dude: thumb tacks + half pipe. that was a looooong time ago

what about GLEAMING THE CUBE (renamed A BROTHER's VENGEANCE for TV)? haaa!!! my favorite quote from that spoken by Tony Hawk in a helicopter: "there's my mom's house, there's my dad's house, and there's disneyland!!!"

how about Police Academy um 3? featuring bones brigaders in a parking garage? ILL!

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 31, 2006 at 10:22 AM

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 31, 2006 10:21 AM

Yeah I remember everything. Anything that casted Bones Brigade was a big deal. Thrashin' was fun cliche plot to watch. Daggerz vs the Ramp Locals! I miss getting chased by security guards skating in malls. Now it's so different cops don't give a fuck even if i skate in the middle of the street in dangerous traffic. I love the thrill back then.. like we're convicts or something.

Quote:

SKATEBOARDING IS A CRIME in Philly, for those of you following the LOVE PARK debacle icon_smile_8ball.gif

--- Original message by denimdestroyedmylife on Mar 31, 2006 10:44 AM

that sucks... i remeber in the 90s dreaming of living in philly just because of love. never got to skate there except in my dreams

nice to see other skaters on here, i have a regular set up and a longboard and love them both. all you need is a board and pavement to have fun, it really does change your life when you get into the culture and meet new people, its so dope. anyways...keep skating!

p.s.

MULLEN IS THE SHIT!

Got into it around sixth or seventh grade and was really serious about it around 9th and from then on I haven't stopped. My era of skateboarding was the late ninetys, around 98 and on which also happens to be my favorite era of skateboarding.