what are you reading today?

almondcrush

^My gf read these and loved them. For this reason I have never read them and will never read them. Convince me otherwise in 5 lines or less.

I’ve only read half of the first book so I can’t say much but so far so good. It’s about some wimpy kid who finds out he is a descendant of some ancient assassin clan. Learns how to kill and all these other wack skills.

I’m definitely not a fan of fantasy but this just seems different – keeps your interest and not over the top.

Then again, I see the aforementioned kid falling for the girl and the whole book turning into a love-fest. Now that would be shit.

I am looking at beatle who is actually looking at chan who is talking to haptronic, everyone is wearing limited edition eternal 811 blue in green contest jeans, apart from me, I am wearing sugarcane okinawa's even though my favourites are hawaii's, I am drinking lagavulin 12 year old as is haptronic but beatle and chan are both drinking beers, I don't know which because denimdestroyedmylife went to the bar before disappearing and leaving his drink which, I think, could be Laphroaig but really I dont know, we are at the self edge party and Kiya was here but has now gone, the music is loud and as beatle leans in to ask me something I nod far to early, I cannot hear anything so will nod at whatever she comes out with, but this doesnt matter because as beatle is talking to me she is actually looking across the room at chris who is dressed head to to toe in rick owens and aloof and oblivious to anyones gaze. Baeyer Drewson is gesticulating from behind haptronic, however I am too drunk or apathetic to engage or even care about the reasons behind this, my mind starts to wander and as his limp wrist flails manically above the crowd I imagine the crisp, defined sound his wrist may produce were I to step, slowly onto the back of his hand whilst is wrist is cocked, crunching the palm of his hand down in the underside of where is wrist meets his forearm

denimdestroyedmylife went to the bar before disappearing and leaving his drink which, I think, could be Laphroaig but really I dont know

Best scotch ever...

Baeyer Drewson is gesticulating from behind haptronic...my mind starts to wander and as his limp wrist flails manically above the crowd

It's like you've known me my whole life.

I imagine the crisp, defined sound his wrist may produce were I to step, slowly onto the back of his hand whilst is wrist is cocked, crunching the palm of his hand down in the underside of where is wrist meets his forearm

Maybe drop the dose on the oxy...?

Currently reading this, and it's awesome. Essential reading for all you wordlovers.

surgeonofcrowthorne.jpg

Books to the ceiling, books to the sky, my pile of books is a mile high. How I love them! How I need them! I'll have a long beard by the time I read them.

Holy moly. I just got a nookcolor for Christmas, and I'm kind of flabbergasted why I didn't get on this before. While I'm an utter technophile, I veered away from book technology for a long time, and was kind of apprehensive about receiving this thing. But having all my korny science fiction at hand without toting around pounds of books? All right.

Anybody else play with the Kindle or Nook? :D

Currently tackling this after a bunch of Ellroy. Doesn't really jive with my ridiculous school schedule but I just love books!!

gravitysrainbow.jpg

Much respect. I love Pynchon, but his books are always work and pleasure. I have an accompanying guide to this book (of about the same size as the book itself) that I plan to read concurrently so I don't miss all those obscure references. Good luck with it!

Much respect. I love Pynchon, but his books are always work and pleasure. I have an accompanying guide to this book (of about the same size as the book itself) that I plan to read concurrently so I don't miss all those obscure references. Good luck with it!

whered you find that? i keep putting off GR until im emotionally equipped to commit to it.

I haven't read it yet, just read sections of the book and skimmed the guide, but the guide looks really solid. The level of detail in the notes, plus their sheer quantity, is really quite overwhelming.

I picked up the companion from Amazon but it may be cheaper from either Book Depository UK or Book Depository US.

Just read this gem last night... Reading Borges is like a literature espresso. I think Bolano would be extremely pleased that in most book stores he will sit next to his favourite writer for many years.

img3846e.jpg

im just finishing an expensive education and im pretty surprised with how good it ended up being. i only bought it because i thought twelve sounded like too much of a BEE knock off but i wanted to see if McDonnel actually had any chops, since hes probly the next young novelist to get hailed as a spokeman for my genereation. and it was 4.99 for a hardcover. after this im finishing amis' second plane because i need a break from fiction.

i also picked up the big hit, its about hip hop as a business and the guy who wrote it seems like a pretty credible dude to take the subject on. its pretty fucking big, i might have to run it parellel with some light fiction.

Don't be "intimidated" by Pynchon (though I doubt either of you actually are.) GR is no Ulysses, it's "difficulty" is a different kind, it's energetic and funny and emotional before it's obscure or academic. I can't imagine regretting picking it up at any time. Just my two.

ventrakl_72.dpi.jpg

and

bluets-image.jpg

I liked both, especially Bluets.

yeah, GR is a lot of fun and not at all inaccessible

pynchon is pretty friendly to the reader if the reader is a kindred soul

i've tried reading ULYSSES a couple times but i haven't got the grit

maybe soon i will give it another go

that book seems written for the irish of a certain generation and impenetrable for outsiders