what are you reading today?

almondcrush

baey: mao II is the only delillo ive had to put down. i cant even tell you how far i got into it because it was that unmemorable. i LOVE dellilo when hes shining, but i cant recall a single sentence from what i read of mao. i havnt exactly gotten into underworld yet because its so fucking daunting, but mao made me realize there might be a side to DD i cant fuck with. i hope you have better luck than i.

UNDERWORLD may be thick but it is reader-friendly

not sure why that one is not very popular, it is a memorable book

I've been eyeing it in the bookstore for a while, but it's thickness and cheesy sounding author was offputing. Might go pick it up tomorrow. Speaking of which, is The Godfather any good to read if you've seen the movie? I skimmed the first two or three pages and it didn't seem that great.

but it's thickness and cheesy sounding author was offputing.

...Sigh...

is The Godfather any good to read if you've seen the movie? I skimmed the first two or three pages and it didn't seem that great.

Again, sigh. How can you judge a book by just skimming two or three pages? Completely pointless imo.

To answer your question, yes. It is a very easy and entertaining read. And better than the film (as books usually are).

to be fair, if youre discussing bukowski wiht a stranger at a BAR, he'll probably claim to be the reincarnation of bukowski himself.

im not trying to detract from bukowski when i say this, but avid bukoswski fans always mistake his highly stylized prose for realism because it fits thier cynical worldview, or because they want to be a bukowski character. i got turned onto him by someone who swore he was the only important author like ever. hes pretty much a cult and you can get lost in the vortex if you dont take it all with a grain of salt.

^ agreed.

i was sucked into that vortex at an impressionable age

acquired three dozen of his books (mostly illegally)

and when i came to my senses, purged all but a couple (and a cassette of Run with the Hunted that i still listen to once a week)

he's like kurt cobain, a decent enough hack in his own right but one who never achieved the greatness of his idols

a tastemaker

he's pointed me in the direction of a lot of great books by good authors (all male)

but now i can't stand macho man prose

gimme obsessive-nerd-with-aspergers-prose or suicidal-savant-prose any day of the week

baeyer: i got that book today, thanks man. i know what i want to send you but i have to track it down because im not ready to part with my copy. once i find a second, i got you back.

no dramas homie, anytime. i also wasn't ready to part with my copy, hence the freebie. from here on in we should save on postage by doing book return + new book each time the mail goes. won't be toooo expensive that way. looking forward to receiving dat mail.

ps: i went crazy on amazon marketplace for a whole bunch of cia/dirty wars/narcotrafficking books. if you want any others that are more era/region specific then let me know.