what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Baeyer-Drewson, dunno if you like Harrison but this is pretty tasty so far. Just a slew on the craft itself. Almost seems instructive in its intent. On why he doesn't feel bad about getting rich while writing:

"I was an independent operator in a non-extractive industry. I had to drill and mine my head, as it were."

cause all the lit nerd already have a thread to congregate in. and theres been enough discussion of the book already to warrant further dissection.

if you just havnt read it yet, i can wait.

Still on it, been busy so haven't had much chance to pick it up, will be up for a major discussion and will be blogging on it too....

4817414238_92e3aa7447.jpg

By Ryu Murakami. It's requiring an investment on my part, mainly because I don't care anymore for writers who shoot smack/pop pills/etc and then decide to write about it. I just don't give a fuck. This is pretty well done though, and it is more proto than all this edgy bullshit, more towards Burroughs but with more pussy. I recommend it!

This book is insane. I feel like I'm reading Murakami/DeLillo hybrid that is as dense as the work of Pynchon. So many unanswered questions about this book. I know it's come up a few times in this thread; anyone interested in discussing 2666/Bolaño in a separate thread?

2666.jpg

3932737452_d59627d189.jpg

Picked this up today as a break from 2666.

Honestly I'm having a hard time getting through 2666. I'm just getting into the section on the murders (about halfway through), and while the shift in style was pretty jaw dropping, I feel like the 5 novella format he originally intended would have suited this work better. The links are there between the stories but they're so cursory at times that I feel a little annoyed.

*I do have to say however, that the feeling of dread and overwhelming doom that surround Santa Theresa really hit me hard as I was driving up from Alamagordo to Las Cruces NM and saw Ciudad Juarez in the distance. It gave me such an inarticulate dread that I felt uncomfortable merely being within visual range of it.

My question to people who have finished it is-Do the links between the stories become more prevalent or meaningful towards the end?

My question to people who have finished it is-Do the links between the stories become more prevalent or meaningful towards the end?

Not really. Slightly I guess, they do end up with a connection.

I actually didn't like 2666 very much. Anyone feel the same way? I really liked the Part About the Critics, and it kinda went downhill from there. I enjoyed other parts of the book but even The Part About The Murders started to drag, and The Part About Archimboldi was actually painful to read.