what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Just read No Country for Old Men. Interesting how the book follows the sheriff as it's main character yet the movie seems about as true as you can get in an adaptation.

Watching the film now, its one of the few McCarthys, I havent read, will pick it up soon - coen brothers have that western gothic down to a T.

^^^^^

Also, I'm finally returning to fiction reading now that school is out. Up first, my last long-ish Russian novel left:

6a00c2251d86ae549d00fae8e1ff2d000b-500pi.jpg

I'm only on Chapter IV but I love it.

Dead souls is awesome, stop half if you like, you dont miss much....

^I know I will get neg-raped in here... My name is Baeyer-Drewson and I have a problem. I'm a scientist by training, never took a single Arts faculty course (unless you count Psychology 1) at university. I love literature and I read widely but I just can't get into Russian lit.

Please help me. I'm sure I'm missing out on truly great works. I have Crime and Punishment, as well as Brothers Karazamov, sitting on my shelf. Have tried several times, unsuccessfully, to get into either.

I think your starting too big, you can obviously handle text but it may be too different for you initially. Try Tolstoys Death of Ivan Iylich and The Double by Dostoevsky....... then move onto to Demons by him ( a gripping and under-rated major work I feel )

kode9's book.

sonic%20warfare%20cover.jpg

Up on that 90's cyberpunk derivative tip - nice nice.

hows point omega? i love delillo and would have bought it if it were longer. i cant justify spending $30 on a hardcover that thin. maybe ill just read it in the store.

it's pretty standard delillo... last thing I read from him was Cosmopolis, which I thought was better than this. I went to the library and read the entire thing there.

it's pretty standard delillo... last thing I read from him was Cosmopolis, which I thought was better than this. I went to the library and read the entire thing there.

i think cosmopolis or great jones street are my favorite delillo. falling man was pretty good, so i wanna read the new one, but its so short i think if i like it itll just be a tease.

having said that, amis, delillo and ellis all put out books in 2010. if wallaces post mortem novel comes out before new years, this will be my favorite year for novels maybe ever.

i think cosmopolis or great jones street are my favorite delillo. falling man was pretty good, so i wanna read the new one, but its so short i think if i like it itll just be a tease.

having said that, amis, delillo and ellis all put out books in 2010. if wallaces post mortem novel comes out before new years, this will be my favorite year for novels maybe ever.

I have Falling Man sitting here on my desk for my next read... Like you said, it received positive reviews, but I doubt it'll live up to Cosmopolis or Underworld (for me)...

Amis? Ellis is the American Psycho dude?

And I'm guessing Wallace is DF Wallace? Got through 150 pages of IJ and had to shut it down :rolleyes:

I have Falling Man sitting here on my desk for my next read... Like you said, it received positive reviews, but I doubt it'll live up to Cosmopolis or Underworld (for me)...

Amis? Ellis is the American Psycho dude?

And I'm guessing Wallace is DF Wallace? Got through 150 pages of IJ and had to shut it down :rolleyes:

i actually didnt even get through the prolouge to underworld. i wasnt catching the significance of the cultural references.

I'm reading Codex Seraphinus.. damn it's ssoooooo GREAT!!!!! I think Will Sweeney's artwork came up frm this bible....

Up on that 90's cyberpunk derivative tip - nice nice.

Cyberpunk mention made me bust out Necromancer. Definitely time to read it again. Recently re-read Snow Crash and was one of the funnest reads I've had in a while. Hopefully this will be the same.

180px-Neuromancer_%28Book%29.jpg

are you talking about Martin Amis?

if so, what are his good books?

money is awesome. and can be killed in less than 5 sittings. heavy water is mostly brilliant. and im just finishing his new one, the pregnant widow, and its pretty great. gonna read the infromation when i can find a hardcover of it.

51aRtjYrzTL._SL500_.jpg

Holy fuck this book is fucking long.

When I was seventeen I bought this behemoth to God knows what end. I guess I was young idealistic and thought I was going to read everything by everybody. Now I'm laying in the bed I made and the bed I made is a thousand goddamn pages long.