what are you reading today?

almondcrush

i am going to read that after these:

41D7AJ00R0L.jpg

^ love that one

read that on a cross-country trip about 10 years ago

i keep returning to it

a good book to read on the throne (my highest praise)

i am reading 1977

so fast paced and wicked

wish i remembered 1974 a bit better but who cares

i feel like i'm behind the wheel and wasted when i read peace

ominous blurred images flashing past the windscreen at 100 mph

tinny MOR blaring out of blown-out stereo speakers of a compact car

steering wheel on the wrong side for some reason

blood on my shirt front

Hardboiled Wonderland is insane, i love it. There was a "end of the world" thread in supertrash recently and what i posted was a nod to Hardboiled but i dont think anyone got it.

i agree with salaryman. a lot of the novels share similar themes and characters, whereas Hardboiled really stood out on it's own. Another one that I consider one of my favorites and stands out to me is South of the Border West of the Sun, which has none of that alternate reality surrealism stuff I enjoy from Murakami. i don't know what it is, i'm not expressive enough to describe why it's so powerful to me. but yeah, it's my most re-read murakami book. maybe because its short and sweet.

Kafka is good and a fun read, especially if you've read all his earlier novels, since it plays off borrowed themes and elements of his other works.

if anyone wants to discuss the stories, bump the sufu haruki thread: Murakami thread

cuz that bitch wanted to take him in. south of the border west of the sun was probably my favorite by murakami.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

00011120000leagues.jpg

just finished today. Wasn't as interesting as I expected, but I can imagine how it was received when it was published. Come to find out, after I reached the last page, I had the abridged version. I guess I just passed over the part saying "adapted by" on the title page. Oh well.