what are you reading today?

almondcrush

ugh, foucault and kafka deserve not to be in that list or called structuralists. maybe gibson as well.

I'm lol'in at the foucalt part. He's as guilty as any of that group for inventing the structure-post-structure system, although most people would prefer if he was called post-modern, and he'd probably prefer I fuck off and die before using any of those labels in reference to him.

yesterday i finished Pushkin's Eugene Onegin (fucking loved it; i want to read the nabokov translation now)

It's generally my opinion that Nabakov should not have been allowed to translate anything that wasn't his own work, I'm pretty sure Alfred Kazin tried to get a law passed to that effect.

In any case, I'd be interested to hear what you think of it. I may just be coloured by my hate of all things Nabokov.

Just finished this and it goes straight to the top of my favourites

%5Clibrary0023.jpg

There are no words for how incredible this book is. Hamsun would be taught alongside the great fathers of modern prose if only he wasn't such a jew-basher (this goes for G K Chesterton too, why sirs, why must you always hate the jews?).

I have read a few of Hamsuns books. Pan and Mysteries were both very good reads and i'm about to start Growth of the soil.

A lesser known but still quite wonderful Hamsun work is "The Wanderer" (it's two short novels, in sequence, usually sold as one volume). I think it's probably the strongest of his entire catalogue. You should give that one a try.

I haven't read mysteries yet, I should probably get to that.

Halifamous-

There are no words for how incredible this book is. Hamsun would be taught alongside the great fathers of modern prose if only he wasn't such a jew-basher (this goes for G K Chesterton too, why sirs, why must you always hate the jews?).

Hamsun may be guilty of bashing Jews, but Chesterton was completely misunderstood and if you did a little research you would see that he was right in all of his accusations.

Herbros-

You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times

(Zinn is the man) get on that.

Halifamous-

Hamsun may be guilty of bashing Jews, but Chesterton was completely misunderstood and if you did a little research you would see that he was right in all of his accusations.

Get me that research because I've done mine and he's not as bad as the jews say he is but he's not nearly as good as his apologists think he is.

Understand that I'm not putting them in the same category when it comes to the degree of their anti-semitism, Hamsun visited Nazi germany and loved it. Chesterton may not be at that level, but he still did enough to fuck himself out of mainstream teachability.