what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Liked The Black Swan, and then stumbled across this at the airport and started getting into it during the 6 hour flight delay. Good stuff so far but let's see where he takes it. Reviews on Goodreads are averaging just shy of 4 so am hopeful this is going to stay enjoyable. 

20130910-164626.jpg 

Liked The Black Swan, and then stumbled across this at the airport and started getting into it during the 6 hour flight delay. Good stuff so far but let's see where he takes it. Reviews on Goodreads are averaging just shy of 4 so am hopeful this is going to stay enjoyable. 

20130910-164626.jpg

Taleb didn't need the 500 plus pages to make his point.

lppAH8l.jpg

Hoo8fBE.jpg

Woody's written sense of humor is funnier and more intelligent than his movies are.

Taleb didn't need the 500 plus pages to make his point.

Any substantial body of text can more often than not be condensed, but yes, there's plenty of the same sentiment out there for this and his other books too. I actually like how he's drawn it out. Maybe I'm just slow, but taking time to read about a particular idea over a longer time allows time for it to soak, and give the mind an opportunity to explore it further and deeper. 

514210.jpg

I was wondering how the western approach of Zen would be.

I've been reading D.T. Suzuki's book recently and I'd have to say it is really hard to comprehend. not sure if it's due to twisted/ambiguous meaning/wording by translation or I don't have that" in me for zen.

Edited by Indice

let me know how u like this

thinking of reading it next but i've heard it's tough

and i have v little spare time 2 read

it's not tough, compared to any other murakami works, or any literature in general.

I'd actually recommend you read some of his earlier works over 1Q84, it just feels vastly unfinished and unconnected, compared to the stylistic themes he's presented previously. 

I agree with you there.^

Perhaps try Sputnik Sweetheart

I have read After Dark and Kafka on the Shore as well, and I might try reading this too. I just kind of got on a Murakami kick but I have yet to read any early stuff.

I'm really trying to get back in the habit of reading a lot more frequently. Any other authors you might suggest?

it's not tough, compared to any other murakami works, or any literature in general.

I'd actually recommend you read some of his earlier works over 1Q84, it just feels vastly unfinished and unconnected, compared to the stylistic themes he's presented previously. 

I agree with you there.^

Perhaps try Sputnik Sweetheart

good to know

i've read norwegian wood and am reading wind-up bird chronicle currently.

just heard 1Q84 was particularly rough but that was just one person

I have read After Dark and Kafka on the Shore as well, and I might try reading this too. I just kind of got on a Murakami kick but I have yet to read any early stuff.

I'm really trying to get back in the habit of reading a lot more frequently. Any other authors you might suggest?

vonnegut 4 ever

i'm also fond of michael chabon and junot diaz for contemporary dudes 

vonnegut 4 ever

i'm also fond of michael chabon and junot diaz for contemporary dudes 

I've actually never read Vonnegut, but you are about the 50th person to tell me to read him.. so looks like I have to add it to my queue.

I've actually never read Vonnegut, but you are about the 50th person to tell me to read him.. so looks like I have to add it to my queue.

start w/ cat's cradle and slaughterhouse 5 , then read breakfast of champions

he's the best

start w/ cat's cradle and slaughterhouse 5 , then read breakfast of champions

he's the best

Okay sweet, one of my good friends just got done reading Cat's Cradle so I might borrow it from him!

Thanks for the help.

In Detail: Building Simply by Christian Schittich

in-detail-building-simply.jpg

(largest image I could find, sorry)

So far it's been interesting.  I can only get through it when I sit down and read it more deliberately though, it's pretty difficult to read because of all the advanced architectural lingo.

Edited by Schoon

Okay sweet, one of my good friends just got done reading Cat's Cradle so I might borrow it from him!

Thanks for the help.

no problem man.  cat's cradle was my favorite book for a long time.  i use "bokonon" (one of the characters) as a handle on like every site but this .

• 2 weeks later...