what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Don't give up on All The Pretty Horses. The dense language at the outset gives way to a plainer style as the adventure story kicks in. It's quite fucking addictive, actually. Even people I've dragged to books have gone on to read the rest of the trilogy OF THEIR OWN ACCORD. He's pretty traditional when all's said and done, but most of his novels are corkers and you might well end up tempted to check em out. Many are faster, shorter. The odd one is Suttree. It's pretty good. It's also the kind of huge repetitive book a writer writes when he's been really fucking depressed for years.

Edited by Superblues

how's that going? 

that book bested me

as much as i love him as a writer - and i am a sucker for that subject matter - it just didn't seem like he wanted you to be able to get through it

maybe i will try again one day

it was fantastic. I think the overload of highly detailed historical information is designed to gradually erode your incredulousness until you start to wonder if there really is a conspiracy, just because the perceived weight of all that evidence starts to accumulate. I definitely had to take a long break when they started getting crazy with reconstructing the plan, but I'm at a place in my life where the cliche "everything is connected" has basically become my mantra. highly recommend pushing through to the finish, although actually I think the best parts were mid way through the book when they're in brazil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

finishing up the metamorphosis, anyone else gone through that one? got me fucked up

did a pick up at my half price books recently. grabbed:

philosophy of the right by Hegel 

existentialism and human emotion by Sartre

trying to get a better understanding of existentialism and it's economic implications. it sounds try hard and it kind of is tbh, but i'm tracing the roots of existentialism back to marx and fuerbach and hegel and seeing how far it goes. i have a lot of respect for the late Dr. Solomon (UT professor who featured a synopsis of existentialism and the meaning of human responsibility in waking life) and since reading up about him i haven't been able to drop my fixation on philosophy.

anyone else particularly interested in any of that?

also on part two of 1984.

I just finished 1Q84 recently and enjoyed it but not got sucked into it once. I'm reading What I Talk About When I talk About Running and am enjoying that much more.

Also just picked up Crime and Punishment and my first thoughts about it is that I was thrown off by the shift in writing style between the epilogue and the first chapter. I want it to feel like the epilogue the whole time. This is my first Dostoyevsky book btw.

I just finished 1Q84 recently and enjoyed it but not got sucked into it once. I'm reading What I Talk About When I talk About Running and am enjoying that much more.

Also just picked up Crime and Punishment and my first thoughts about it is that I was thrown off by the shift in writing style between the epilogue and the first chapter. I want it to feel like the epilogue the whole time. This is my first Dostoyevsky book btw.

My experience with IQ84 was about the same. Captivating page turner but didn't stay with me the way "Wind up bird..." or "Kafka On The Shore" did. I read it when it was first released in English and have been meaning to revisit it. Maybe this winter.

Enjoy that Dostoyevsky! Sometimes I get really embaressed talking about him cause I feel a bit like i'm gushing about how The Beatles is my favorite band or something. But "Crime and Punishment" and (of course) "The Brothers Karamazov" earn every inch of their reputation.

This week:

DSCN7410_zps729754f2.jpg

^ I really need to read this freud's one!

Discussing about getting a kindle this week with jack and about one of his ebook we came to the idea of opening a e-book dropbox as the SuperFuture Library if anyone is interested by this you can drop me your email in my inbox and i'll invite you!

People who wants to play the game, if you upload an e-book, just post a little note here and why you added it/liked it/why could it be interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...