what are you reading today?

almondcrush

I've secretly been waiting for the day where having a dope home library and sexual desirability reach an equilibrium for years. If it happens, all these penis extension surgeries will have been in vain. Nevermind the Lambo...

I've secretly been waiting for the day where having a dope home library and sexual desirability reach an equilibrium for years. If it happens, all these penis extension surgeries will have been in vain. Nevermind the Lambo...

This is how I feel about pogs. Still waiting.

This is how I feel about pogs. Still waiting.

Never gonna happen, breh. Bitches get shook when they see you gaffle punk ass marks for their slammers. It's too alpha male caveman status to ever be sexy.

5182BHK90ML._SS500_.jpg

How to achieve 'lost in the moment' feeling that many musicians/athletes/etc have. Personally experienced only in jiu jitsu, surfing or sketching.

This is great.

ishmael_cover.jpg

Second time reading this, recommend.

have we not reached the point where having an obscene collection of books is cool/sexually desirable? i've definitely parlayed literary conversations into phone numbers/dates/etc before.

you guys think I read infinite jest because I like reading?! pffffft

Is the $2 copy N bomb free? Cause rather have my genetailia removed than read that.

This post might be ironic.

Finally stumbled onto a copy of neuromancer. Putting life on hold for a bit to knock it out.
^It's a good, fun, short read. Enjoy it. A friend gave me Pattern Recognition last birthday, been eyeing it on my shelf for the last few months. Might read it next. Gibson is awesome.

NEUROMANCER and PATTERN RECOGNITION are my favorites of his

and they are pretty much the same book

2hybdpt.jpg

i actually have never read a murakami novel before this (yeah i know) but picked this up cause the title just caught my eye and i enjoy distance running. i thought since i haven't ran in awhile, i needed something to get me going again.

never heard of him. i like reading books about an author's process, so this was pretty enjoyable, in the way that drinking a glass of water is enjoyable, as in, good, not particularly memorable, nor mindblowing, but perfectly fine, and good

finally finished SNOW CRASH

i know, i know, it took me forever

i have been a lousy reader lately

fuck it

VPV9X.jpg

i remember thinking the corrections was revelatory. freedom, while eminently readable, was a disappointment. (i remember a couple of female authors charging that the rapturous praise freedom received had a lot to do with franzen being a white male. looking back on it now i think they may have had a point.) patty seemed to be the only fully formed character, though it bothered me that her voice was indistinguishable from the narrator's. the six or so pages where lalitha and walter explain the trust's mission to a dubious richard in new york was just bad writing. connie, who is obviously deeply damaged, magically becomes healthy once she settles down with joey? any piece of literary fiction has to be compromised by the appearance of a fucking bright eyes show. the ending was a little pat. had the characaters' wackiness quotient been upped a bit more it would have been uncomfortably reminiscent of john irving. i won't hesitate reading franzen's next novel though.

iWsdH.jpg

it was slight and forgettable, the dystopian future element was hokey. his talent is evident, however: there isn't one sentence in his examination of eunice park and her family, and the messages she exchanges with her mom and sister, that ring untrue.

FvVyF.jpg

were dfw still alive, and he said he was done with fiction and would round out the remainder of his career on long-form journalism, i think i may have been ok with that. the highlight for me is authority and american usage but it's all transcendent, even the almost unreadable host. (i once read something where chuck closterman mentioned wallace, and he said the right thing about how his writing could never compare to dfw's but you know that just by evoking his name he wanted to hint that maybe someone out there could see a direct lineage between the two, maybe someone could suggest he was the next best thing. i fucking hate chuck closterman.)

feel free to reply tl;dr

OASIS: I'm in semi agreeance with you on the DFW fiction V non fiction tip. if some of his topic choices weren't so incredibly esoteric, he'd be the most addictive essayist I've ever read. I really liked oblivion in a way that was crushing, though. His short fiction chops are insane because he can take that scattershot narrative style and really work the fuck out of a comprehensive idea that his larger works kind of end up eluding. Maybe IJ just fucked me up from being such a wild and insane ride but I'm having trouble diving into the pale king with the same gusto. I thought his short stories were the ultimate forum to really present something complex and then simplify it all by really coming in through every angle and orifice and just writing it into the ground and then moving on with an entirely new quazaar in the next story.

While I'm on that rant, Ive come to like Amis' short story Selye more than his novel prose. It's another example of boiling an authors intellect down to a more digestible format. Both these guys can really find themes and recurring tones in some epically banal shot and it's much more succinct and effective in oblivion or heavy water.