what are you reading today?

almondcrush

bae, put the atwood down, homie. take a few steps back and slap yo self.

was talking to non-les feminist friend about how truly few female writers I read, she handed me book. to be honest, i'm kinda liking it. heard it is not very typical Atwood tho. some sci-fi dystopian shit, kinda reminds me a little of ursula le guin when she on that sci-fi tip.

anyone else pre order the pale king? itll be weird to read it unfinished but what are ya gonna do?

yup

don't worry, it'll just end like everything else he's written anyway

i don't think that it's unfinished in that he never got to write an ending, i think it's unfinished in that he never finished the manuscript. either way, the endings of wallace's books was never what really got me to like him anyway. i like the rambling tangents, etc. and from what i hear, he self-edited a lot during his writing process, so i hope "unfinished" means even more of them.

yup

i don't think that it's unfinished in that he never got to write an ending, i think it's unfinished in that he never finished the manuscript. either way, the endings of wallace's books was never what really got me to like him anyway. i like the rambling tangents, etc. and from what i hear, he self-edited a lot during his writing process, so i hope "unfinished" means even more of them.

im just thinking that his stuff is probably waaaaaaaaay more tangental before an editor takes it and tells him where to cut the fat. so im worried their might be a little too much digression. but then on the other hand, im sure an editor worked the manuscript over before agreeing to print it, and since dfw wasnt around to defend himself, some of his loosest prose might have met the cutting floor, and that aint awesome either. so im reserving judgement til after i read it.

ya and it was appernetly way longer before editing and he had to fight to keep so much of it in. when your style is that lucid its probably difficult to explain to your editor what is embellishment and whats necessary to the plot.

^Great comic. Along with Planetary, Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, Sandman, The Walking Dead, and now I'm just ranting....

Just finished book 10. That shit was great. And filled w/ random cool facts e.g. why buttons are on certain sides of shirts.

Read all those but Planetary and Sandman. I'll have to check it out

Hey I just discovered this thread and Haruki Murakami! Crazy late I know. I really want to pick up one of his books tomorrow and was wondering which would be the best to start with? The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle seems to be popular but ive read excerpts from both the The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and found Hard Boiled slightly more captivating.... But if you guys could recommend a better Murakami to start with that would be amazing

Hey I just discovered this thread and Haruki Murakami! Crazy late I know. I really want to pick up one of his books tomorrow and was wondering which would be the best to start with? The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle seems to be popular but ive read excerpts from both the The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World and found Hard Boiled slightly more captivating.... But if you guys could recommend a better Murakami to start with that would be amazing

this post is the antithesis to this thread.

never heard of him

you can't really go wrong with either

maybe norwegian wood is the easiest intro to whoever you are talking about