what are you reading today?

almondcrush

word man. he can be somewhat difficult to read without having prior (elementary) knowledge of lacanian psychoanalysis and marxism. this book im reading now gets a bit technical in some parts; so i would recommend that you begin with LOOKING AWRY. it's a book where he introduces his concepts/theories through Hollywood cinema - namely, hitchcock and david lynch films. as you may have noted from your reps to me in the What Are You Watching Thread, i have been watching hitchcock lately because of this guy haha.

after looking awry, you can get into zizek somewhat easier.

OH AND PLZ CHECK OUT HIS FILM: Pervert's Guide to Cinema. you can watch some excerpts on youtube. a documentary of sort where he analyzes all the great hollywood films: rear window, blue velvet, vertigo, birds, eyes wide shut, etc.

in fact, watch his presentation @ google

here:

edit to add:

actually this neat video is a much shorter one than the google one. it's a very brief outline of what he mainly works on.

^Fuck yes. Was just reading about Slavoj on the wiki. Interesting guy. Never read any of his books though. Will have to check that out on the title alone.

Definitely take into the rain's advice and check out a pervert's guide to cinema. You get so much more out of zizek/he is (slightly) easier to understand, if you see his quirky gnome face while he's explaining next level shit.

Just read NEXT from Crichton and All the pretty horses and damn I like McCarthy. (Random books I had lying around while I was stuck at home injured.)

Reading The Prince right now and trying to pick up Blood Meridian.

Got into books because my dad reads like one john grisham and Lee Child novel a day.

pattern.jpg

A late pass perhaps, but I'm having fun. This is the first Gibson book I've ever picked up and I'm pretty certain I will devour this and the two following parts quite quickly and then maybe look into some of his older stuff, when I fin the time. I can definitely see why some have speculated him to be a sufu lurker/poster, after only a few chapters of this book. I can't wait to get to Zero History and the whole perfect pair of japanese pants thing, then.

A late pass perhaps, but I'm having fun. This is the first Gibson book I've ever picked up and I'm pretty certain I will devour this and the two following parts quite quickly and then maybe look into some of his older stuff, when I fin the time. I can definitely see why some have speculated him to be a sufu lurker/poster, after only a few chapters of this book. I can't wait to get to Zero History and the whole perfect pair of japanese pants thing, then.

Pattern Recognition was the first Gibson book I read too; made me wish I owned a Black BR MA-1!

Probably should have read this in high school, but I didn't so I am excited to start this one. I hope it's a good read.

No need to hope! It is a great book :)