what are you reading today?

almondcrush

• 3 weeks later...

The_revenant_book_cover.jpg

​

​

​such an awesome story, even better than the movie -- and i loved the movie. i can definitely recommend the novel, in addition to the film, if only because they are actually quite different in a lot of the stories told. the book is able to provide more back stories about both fitzgerald and glass, as well as the action packed adventure that took place all along the way. plus you get a much more detailed encounter with all the other trappers and various indians. just a really fun western survival story that has even more action and events than the film, highly recommended

​

​

his son in the movie was completely made up, which i had actually suspected upon leaving the theatre. additionally, there is no kidnapped indian princess to be rescued. so you can chalk those two bigs ones up to hollywood, but all in all the movie did a great job of portraying the expansive wilderness and glass's trials and tribulations. i liked the novel more, but i'm glad to have seen the movie as well.

Edited by jayrock

does anyone use Overdrive to check out ebooks from their libraries?

is it me or is the inventory complete crap? and here I thought there would be a plethora of books I can check out, even the american classics, but theres no books to check out!!

Edited by mr.invincible

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i just finished the Miles Davis autobiography

it was really really good

not malcolm x autobiography life-changing good but maybe the equivalent for jazz heads

he is outspoken about race throughout the book and it is easy to imagine his continued outrage if he were alive today

BwnS0wSIUAEXMY9.jpg

i'm reading ametora: how japan saved american style now - anyone else reading it?

sufu gets a mention

interesting to revisit the LEVI'S lawsuit

seemed like the end of repro jeans at the time

Composite-1-1.jpg

also reading norwegian wood: chopping, stacking and drying wood the scandinavian way

kind of niche, i guess, but excellent

tumblr_nuoip21Cac1qjze5ao1_1280.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have Little Free/Public Libraries in their neighborhood? There's a bunch scattered around my area, pretty neat just stopping by and seeing what's new

Little%20Free%20Library.jpg

Just picked up this gem which I've never read or seen the film for yet (keeping with the theme of this thread lol, sup ShakeEmUp) :

332613.jpg

Re: the Trump books, Art of the Deal was pretty interesting once you get past his day-to-day stuff in the beginning. Goes over the trials and tribulations of the business world and does a great job describing how even when stuff falters you can make the best of a bad situation. The chapter about the Wollman skating rink in particular provides for a good government vs private industry comparison. Would recommend for just an overall business related read, and a peek into the life of Trump

Crippled America is much shorter, basically just a more in-depth overview of his presidential campaign and where he stands on issues like trade and infrastructure. Wouldn't really recommend for leisurely reading unless it's something you might personally be interested in

We've got one of those library things at the park I run at but the stuff in it is always garbage.

Started JK Rowling's Casual Vacancy, and quite liking it so far at about 75 pages in.

Jayrock, you on goodreads?

Edited by xchen

No, but I do use it for quick peer reviews and general background info for stuff that I might be interested in. Don't really use my Amazon account for much of anything anymore

And yeah, selection at the little libraries can be pretty weak at times. Aside from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the only things I've gotten from there recently is a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories and a Louis L'Amour book

• 2 weeks later...

UawzWq9.jpg

title is highly accurate. just a collection of random writings, no real coherent story throughout. either way, definitely chuckled out loud a few times, short read

jo6hAVj.jpg

another good short read. some of the examples are a bit dated given this was written in 1928, however the overall concepts discussed are still highly valid. essentially views propaganda within the scope of how public relations helps shape opinions. 

still only barely just started One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, hoping to make some more progress on it soon.

i'm only just to the point where he is taking bets from the other patients as to whether he can drive the big nurse crazy or not