what are you reading today?

almondcrush

• 4 weeks later...

<snip>

Not sure if anyone has seen, but this just came out. A first ever English translation of Murakami's first two novels. Just got them and am super excited to read, apparently these are a totally different style than his later books.

I picked up a copy the other day, accidentally thinking it was new Murakami that I was unaware of - I'm enjoying it, I'd say it's still very much like his later work.

The Australian edition is very well designed, it has two front covers on either side.

2qxk9hfmrp54g9v3hmx2mkqgij4q00.jpeg

I picked up a copy the other day, accidentally thinking it was new Murakami that I was unaware of - I'm enjoying it, I'd say it's still very much like his later work.

The Australian edition is very well designed, it has two front covers on either side.

2qxk9hfmrp54g9v3hmx2mkqgij4q00.jpeg

The trilogy of the rat has been available in English for a long time if your a crafty book obtainer.

A wild sheep chase is close to my heart as it has a similar character to my favourite novel kafka on the shore.

Edited by Lukenstein

• 3 weeks later...

41MXKYJX1EL.jpg]]

and

31AZLR%2B7JML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Both are diaries of WWI soldiers. Jünger was a German "storm trooper" or shock trooper who might be the bravest person I have ever come across. A ruthless but thoughtful killer. Really fascinating post-war life too.

Lucy was an Irish soldier who enlsited with his brother in 1912. His brother perished during The First Battle of the Aisne. Lucy's account is heartbreaking, especially for me since I have three brothers.

'Taker care of yourself', and I blushed at such a display of anxiety in the presence of my comrades. My brother steadied a moment in a stride which was beginning to break into a steady run forward, and looking back over his shoulder, winked reassuringly at me. The beggar would wink. 

Forward he went, and out of my sight for ever.

fuck.

Edited by wayoutwest

after spending the summer reading only Game of Thrones

i just started Girl in a Band - normally i read things without a voice in my head - but in this case, i have Kim Gordon's voice in my head as i read

i finished chapter one only and it is crushing

i never did see sonic youth somehow, expecting i'd catch them next time around

i've seen the members in other projects but never as the full band

i fucked up

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

4977196611_83830a1324.jpg

51Gyltc8l4L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1984-George-Orwell.jpg

in order read. can't believe it's taken me this long to finally read 1984, well worth it. best of this batch easily. The Stranger kinda sucked (imo) and The Broken Gun was a good 'ol modern western, both of them were super quick reads compared to Orwell

in the queue... Fahrenheit 451 and Brave New World... kinda got a theme going here following 1984 heh

i know it was touched on briefly earlier itt -- but do any of you guys read multiple books at once?

i think it's because i'm just getting back into reading after such a long hiatus, that i'm pretty much knocking them out one-by-one currently. the sense of accomplishment almost, from finishing the novel at hand, is more fulfilling than trying to juggle multiple story lines and characters. i'd imagine though if i keep the reading habit up long enough, i'll eventually start branching out into multiple books simultaneously not unlike my TV viewing habits. and it is nice to have a little variety if a specific story becomes a drag

has also been pretty nice to bounce back and forth between actual paper and e-books. finally getting my money's worth out of this kindle at least

Edited by jayrock

​

Gatsby_1925_jacket.gif

​Soumission_cover.jpg

BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg

Fahrenheit_451_1st_ed_cover.jpg

​

​

​in order read. we'll give Gatsby the nod as the best of the bunch. again, surprising it's taking me this long for this story -- truly for the first time book or film. submission was a decent translation but overall pretty meh. brave new world and Fahrenheit 451 both good dystopian novels in their own regard. still not quite up there with 1984 imo, but they're all three very distinct in their settings and overall plot. bradbury's writing style in particular was very interesting.

​

​just started City of Thieves by David Benioff, so far so good

^ are u in high school?

41fDDcPXNcL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

great comedy, not up there with master & margarita or anything but very good in its own way, i read the kindle version so not sure which translation that is or if there even is more than one.

ca37d49a45f8b744b3e8529858f7.jpg

dont read this, theres nothing to be learned in it and reading it feels like a chore. i thought she would be an interesting person with a lot of interesting life experiences and a lot of knowledge about the fashion industry but certainly none of that is in this book. best part about this is her sketches/drawings that are on a lot of the pages

51KCLO3HH2L._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

just started this, been on my list for a long time, i havent heard of this translator before but a friend recommended this version and its good so far, definitely more of a modern translation in spirit than a literal one but i tend to prefer that as im not all that into reading footnotes about russian word play

Edited by ProfMonnitoff

^^^ gravity's rainbow - incredibly dense fiction based on the central metaphor of the parabolic arc of a V2 rocket, set in the european theater of WWII. encyclopedia like coverage of everything from polymer chemistry to obscure opera references. well worth the effort

great book for sure but its the only one that ive started multiple times and never managed to finish, i dont think ive read a more difficult book, maybe The Recognitions by William Gaddis gets close but either way gravity's rainbow is one of the few books where i'd say you have to be a heavy reader to be able to get anything out of it. But to anyone who likes Infinite Jest, I'd advise to read this and see a similar idea be done way better, decades earlier.

Im about to give up on zero history, william gibsons second book in his second trilogy, despite the denim and fashion themes. Its just not for me.

??

zero history is the third book in the third trilogy and probably the best one out of that trilogy. biggest flaw is the ending but gibson hasn't written a good ending in his life so whatever

pattern recognition (book 1) is also great, spook country (book 2) is pretty bad and you dont miss much by skipping it and heading straight for the third book imo, there are some recurring characters but nothing terribly important

i think idoru is the best book for getting started with gibson, neuromancer almost feels like a parody now thanks to how often it has been copied, and the blue ant trilogy isn't really scifi the way his other work is

Edited by ProfMonnitoff