what are you reading today?

almondcrush

7yDN1pJ.jpg

just finished this, mainly wanted to read because of the somewhat recent sequel Doctor Sleep which I'll tackle next

it's significantly different from the film adaptation in many ways, even more so than the typical novel vs. film adaptation sort of way in which the novel goes much deeper into the characters and backstories and such... I can see why Stephen King wasn't too happy with Kubrick's adaptation, but in all honesty I can say that I still enjoyed the film a lot more and thought it was more intense than the novel

tumblr_inline_mh7e2j6XHv1qz4rgp.jpg

such a great read that will motivate you to read more, I really should check out some more of his stuff, probably gonna start with Martian Chronicles

• 2 weeks later...

read a lot of stuff since the last time i posted to this thread, diaz aside. here's a list, they are all worth a read imo but i've bolded books i would recommend among them

an episode in the life of a landscape painter - aira

stoner - williams

varieties of disturbance - davis

waiting - jin

revolutionary road - yates

the gangster we are all looking for - thuy

the castle - kafka

three apples fell from heaven - marcom

gilead - robinson

ficciones - borges

the map and the territory - houellebecq

nightwood - barnes

the sea wolf - london

the waves - woolf

blindness - saramago

speedboat - adler

story of the eye - bataille

the hour of the star - lispector

a high wind in jamaica - hughes

the road - mccarthy
fado - stasiuk

beside the sea - olmi

satantango - krazsnahorkai

the trial - kafka

the possibility of an island - houellebecq

invisible cities - calvino

the book of disquiet - pessoa

the sailor who fell from grace with the sea - mishima

the verificationist - antrim

journey to the end of the night - celine

to the lighthouse - woolf

paradise lost - milton

the only reason i'm not bolding either the trial or the castle is that once you have read one, you've read the other. the castle is like - the trial (extended mix).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

57LyIEy.jpg

Managed to prompt thinking about how the amount of time expended changes my expectations for a work (be it a movie, a book, a play, etc.), which is worthwhile, but did so by "disappointing" me.

• 1 month later...

This thread always deserves a bump.

hG3H9AT.jpg 75zR0il.jpg r1VjFh6.jpg

RiASZDf.png AO1cpzV.jpg

could someone please recommend the most interesting, rewarding book they've read? preferably fiction filled with knowledge or nonfiction that isn't written like a sociology textbook

i am looking for a book that can teach me something new, physically or mentally.

classic works are okay.. but if you've found a hidden gem please let me know.

Animal Farm - Ge

could someone please recommend the most interesting, rewarding book they've read? preferably fiction filled with knowledge or nonfiction that isn't written like a sociology textbook

i am looking for a book that can teach me something new, physically or mentally.

Animal Farm - George Orwell

Or 1984 by the same author. a book which you'll finish (or should) in the blink of an eye, and will want to pick back up again immediately after.

books I've read over the past month : Nietzsche - Genealogy of morals, Christopher Hitchens - God is not great (no apologies to the faithful), Marx - Manifesto again, a social history of English - Dick Leith.

Edited by quentincook

^^^ gravity's rainbow - incredibly dense fiction based on the central metaphor of the parabolic arc of a V2 rocket, set in the european theater of WWII. encyclopedia like coverage of everything from polymer chemistry to obscure opera references. well worth the effort

• 2 weeks later...

Can you recommed some fashion books? 

Nice gossip book. Reading about the fashion people of today would be like reading about toilet paper executives so I dunno. Did you mean artbooks or aesthetics books specializing in fashunz?

Ejs1c2a.jpg

brUuZOI.jpg

the whole time i was watching that shitty film i thought, "maybe the book is really good"

Ya they tried to squeeze a long book into like 2 hours and left out so much good shit. The characters in the book are way cooler and use a lot more LSD