what are you reading today?

almondcrush

cannery-row1.jpg

Be sure to read Sweet Thursday for more of Mack and The Boys.

Re-re-reading these...I need some new books.  Dear American Airlines is the last new thing I really liked.

41fN9Q3RNcL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

51rN9yezfuL._SY346_.jpg

^ dear american airlines is pretty great

Fuck yes.

Thank you.  If you stop reading after the possum tale, you have a hole in your soul.  *and the translation work is often hilarious.

Edited by jyoni

• 2 weeks later...

over halfway through with fyodor dostoevskys the brothers karamazov

He's such a lovely writer. That's one of the most impressive books I've read in theory - big book by old Russian writer - but it's just really enjoyable. Not as pacy as Crime And Punishment, but filled with wonder.

I'm reading Kerouac's The Dharma Bums. I'm on my phone so I can't be bothered to sort out an image. You should google it, though. The first edition looks lovely, as you'd expect, but there's some nice pulp-looking covers too. It's strange to be reading Kerouac at 40. I didn't bother with him at all seriously until I was 30 or something, though. I like his whole automatic writing schtick. All writers and writing are riddled with problems. It's just whether they also bring the good stuff. He does. Seems like many don't see it, or they think they see it, enough to smoke a joint and backpack through their gap year before discarding him as a coming-of-age writer riddled with problems. These people never really understood. Not sure what I'll read next. I've nearly finished this and I have to go away for a week soon so I'll need something else. Maybe a Graham Greene.

9780345418272.jpg

makes me wanna visit the rosacrucian museum in my town, this is OG da vinci code

how's that going? 

that book bested me

as much as i love him as a writer - and i am a sucker for that subject matter - it just didn't seem like he wanted you to be able to get through it

maybe i will try again one day

i am stuck on what to read next

i recently finished The Good Nurse, Bob Spitz' Beatles Bio (really good) and Bukowski's Pulp (his last novel)

i've been reading The Beautiful Music All Around Us as a sideline (very good)

on my bedside, i've got

Pale King, DFW

Nostromo, Joseph Conrad (i've tried reading this twice in the past ten years, keep stalling around 150 pages in)

All the Pretty Horses, C. McCarthy (i've false-started this a couple times)

Cloud Atlas (lent to me by a friend)

the first Game of Thrones book

any help?