what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Been reading Catcher In The Rye but I've taken ages...5 months. No thanks to Holden Caulfield who gets on my nerves. I know, I know it's acclaimed but I'll probably re-read it.

On the side, I just picked up this:

seven-days-in-the-art-world.jpg

Insightful on how the art world works if you're coming from an outsider's perspective.

yhRqUdZ.jpg

Getting my learn on. $2.00 and it was a gift to me from my mother...perhaps a not so subtle hint. It's been fun so far though!

Been reading Catcher In The Rye but I've taken ages...5 months. No thanks to Holden Caulfield who gets on my nerves. I know, I know it's acclaimed but I'll probably re-read it.

Definitely re-read it when you have time to finish it faster. Caulfield's characterization is flawless and the novel's tonality nears perfection. One of the most subtle, profound human tragedies i've ever read, but it took me a second read to actually get it. First read through I hated Holden too, I just read him as some angst privileged kid.

Also important to note that the novel was written -- or at least formulating -- when Salinger was aiding the Germans during WW2. He saw some shit.

• 2 weeks later...
to xdonovan: i think i definitely will, i faced a change of mind about the book near the latter stages. holden's interaction with his sister phoebe is beautiful. maybe i don't like holden all that much, but his sister is definitely something. the parting words though, they ring true to my heart.

what did you 'get' from the book / what do you think makes holden such a universally acclaimed character?

qOWk6Rp.jpg

7qc59jD.jpg

Read these two while in school. I usually need something lighter and easier to get into when Im busy with university. Starting Under the Volcano for the second time now that school is over. Im aware that its held in high regard, but I seem to have a problem getting into it.

I7svPLv.jpg

As for The Catcher in the Rye, I really enjoyed it when I read it, but maybe because I was younger and it was easier to relate to Holden. Either way, its not a very long book so it shouldn't be much trouble to finish.

• 2 weeks later...

Words-Like-Loaded-Pistols-Cream-Silver.j

just finished reading this.

nonfiction! it's a good overview of the history & development of rhetoric

also dissects segments of famous speeches (e.g. by demosthenes, the "checkers" speech by nixon) and the context that different great speakers worked in

also covers rhetorical terminology, theory, techniques…

Hand-To-Type-01.jpg

currently reading. this book is killer for type/lettering/calligraphy nerds.

some essays at the beginning talking about the history of type/lettering/calligraphy in different cultures and scripts (japanese, the 1000 indian scripts, arabic, a piece on german printing and blackletter/fraktur)

interviews with luminaries of the field

and then a showcase of a pretty wide variety of work.

riI00Kq.jpg

Enjoyed Dune, but I don't think Ill be getting through the rest of the series anytime soon.

uPurepP.jpg

I like Hesse a lot, but this was pretty different in content than most of the other stuff I've read by him. Bleak and wildly depressing. Not a good summer read.

cZI2i2a.jpg

Starting this now.

How does it compare to White Noise?

I personally enjoyed both Underworld and White Noise a lot. If you didn't really love White Noise, Underworld is pretty similar, except theres a lot more of it. Cosmopolis is really great if you haven't read it yet, and much more concise.

9780679734512.jpg

Took me almost two months to finish (I could only go 30/40 pages every now and then), however I am quite pleased that I did. A canonised regularity, but I dont really see how a book can be better than this.

i'm looking for a stereotypical 80's or 90's book that shows more or less what was going on in culture (countach's, coke, raves, etc). anyone know of any?

just read back to back which was interesting to compare.

9915.jpg

41dVhG2ZVuL._AA300_.jpg

now (not part of it):

norwegian-wood.jpg

after:

9780141199016.jpg

Edited by yea!