what are you reading today?

almondcrush

cien-ac3b1os.jpg

and Amor En El Tiempo De Cholera

Marquez' voice is like my grandfather's. Makes me miss Tijuana and all the family there.

also picked up The Idiot by Dosteyevsky.

100 Years is an incredible book - read it on the beach over a week in Cancun, and it was pretty much my favorite part of the vacation. Wish I could read it in spanish.

finished no longer human. i feel the same way as in the previous post, if not moreso now. while there were some great moments in the beginning of the book about his childhood, my takeaway about the main character is him as a demonstration about a monstrous depravity, cowardice, and self-indulgence of depression. partly as moral lesson, but more as an explanation. i wonder what the social norms about civility, being polite, humble, etc., were like in dazai's life.

i was unsatisfied with most of the philosophical conclusions the character comes to as well, maybe this is more evidence that the character is ultimately to be understood as showing some shallowness of his condition. "there is no such thing as society, society is individuals", or "everything will pass." this is all just basic scratching at the surface material. makes me want to read toni morrison or faulkner instead.

anyone have a nook? apparently you can share books with your nook friends.

i apologize in advance for not being on that kindle junt... my grandma bought me one for xmas cuz she likes hers.

haha i have a kindle fire hd and love it. just rooted it recently so it now runs as a full android tablet, pretty good investment for the price i feel. but i have heard good things about nooks!

Edited by jackg

I think this is the only Nietzsche I haven't read.

Are you versed in him? How do you feel it fits into his themes?

Not versed at all, this is my first of his books...but thus far i think it is fantastic. articulate, intelligent and stimulating reading.

Just started, it's pretty interesting so far.

g11by.jpg

finished this the other week. didnt flow very well towards the end, but i found the tone of the last couple of lines (iirc lmao) interesting compared to the rest of the book.

finally giving this a shot, sup lab

spring-snow.jpg

Edited by yoallanface

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...