what are you reading today?

almondcrush

if i've never read anything by ayn rand, should i read "fountainhead" or "atlas shrugged"?

big fan of murakami, read all his prior books, but i couldnt finish 1Q84 the first time i read it. gonna try reading it again, hopefully finishing it this time. was anyone disappointed by 1Q84? i know a lot of you in this thread have read it, or tried to.

EDIT: 01/03/13 - i take back what i said. i started over and finished it in a couple days, really enjoyed it this time. still a big fan.

Edited by fallen angels

• 2 weeks later...

big06716571511_zpscc32d547.jpg

nietzsche-thus-spoke-zarathustra-friedrich-w-paperback-cover-art_zps0179e80a.jpg

Book_0_23582_zpsba7b9019.jpg

Nietzsche is my religion. Tried to get some Heidegger at the library but they didnt have Being and Time. Bloom book is good so far, only about 100 pages through or so, all of it so far has been talking about what philosophy has influenced current american thought which is interesting. Tropic of Cancer is a headfuck obviously

i have a stack of books i want to finish reading by the end of my winter break.

THE-PARIS-WIFE-by-Paula-McLain.jpg

This started off slow, but ended up being pretty good. Historical fiction about Ernest Hemingway and his first wife Hadley.

200px-FlowersForAlgernon.jpg

Finally got around to reading the novel (as opposed to having only read the short story version)

Dress-Your-Family-in-Corduroy-and-Denim-9780316010795.jpg

Halfway through this.

Planning to read the new J. K. Rowling book although I haven't heard anything good about it and also Through the Language Glass to get myself thinking about linguistics before the spring term starts

anyone read any good literary or general culture magazines they'd like to share?

Granta

The old quarterly Story was always great but it's defunct. You can find issues pretty easily but it would be nothing current.

• 2 weeks later...

Molloy by Beckett. Hilarious.

that's one of my favorites.

i am currently reading super sad true love story because an old college friend lent it to me - not something i would normally consider, i don't think, but i am enjoying it. 200 pages in so far.

set in the near future. told through diary entries, IM (or equivalent), and emails (or facsimile thereof). it is sort of an exploration of where we are going with technology, what we are leaving behind, and how it erodes and rewrites us in discomfiting ways.

Just started, it's pretty interesting so far.

g11by.jpg

just finished if on a winter's night a traveler, and i'm about halfway through this one at moment.

the tone of the book makes me wonder what its like in the original japanese. the introduction at the beginning put an interesting spin on the title/theme, explaining that the phrase could also be translated "disqualified from being human". i like it overall, and im not sure if this is the large point of the book but it seems very lost on the narrator that he is just as engrossed and attached to the world and his feelings as everyone else. the "oh woe is me" musings are a little much sometimes, it's hard for me to decide if dazai is in confessional/memoir mode, or if he has just drawn himself into a caricature with the protagonist. could be both.