what are you reading today?

almondcrush

Penguin+no.+559.jpg

Just starting:

"This is Graham Greene's account of the journey he took across Mexico, and up into the remote regions of Chiapas and Tabasco, during the spring of 1938. Mexico at the time was a Catholic country being governed by anti-Catholics, and he went there to observe firsthand how the Mexicans and Indians had coped with the religious persecution: with the confiscation and destruction of the churches, the expulsions and murders of the priests, and the enforced secularization of the education system."

Edited by joeyod007

Yeah Stranger is one of my favorite books. Occasionally, I turn over to a particular passage (don't want to ruin anything, but it's found itself into popular culture) and read it over. ALso read Nausea and The Wall by Sartre, and Man's Fate and Man's Hope by Malraux which are from similar time period and have "existential" themes.

im looking for relatively short philosophy books or essays from french authors, any recs?

If you're looking for short introductions, there is none better than the A Very Short Introduction to... books.

Here's an example: http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/academic/series/general/vsi/9780192854094.do#.UC12cN3N8gk

They have one on general Philosophy too, or other philosophers. There's recommended reading at the back of each book so you can easily expand on what you want to know more about. Just rent it from a local library or something, as it's not usually worth it to have the actual book. Or you could buy it and give it away to another like-minded person once you're finished with it.

If this was not what you had in mind, ask again and I'll see if I can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see lots of Murakami fans here. I enjoy most of his books, but Hard-Boiled Wonderland is by far my favorite, really close to being my favorite novel of all time in fact.

Currently reading A Dance With Dragons. The two most recent Ice And Fire books aren't nearly as good as A Storm Of Swords but they're still holding my interest.