what are you reading today?

almondcrush

worth getting? what's the quality like?

sorry aggressive slow reply. i really liked it, high quality and some amazing photo's, makes me wanna wear yohji and nothing else! maybe borrow it from the local library and check it out first??

recently:

Hermann_Hesse_-_Siddhartha_%28book_cover%29.jpg

scarecrow-and-the-army-of-thieves.jpg

(don't judge me haha just needed some light reading to get me going again)

windup-bird.jpg

^ Wind Up Bird Chronicle is awesome.. I think that book got me through a semester of mediocrity in my actual life.

In addition to finally going through all 982 pgs. of 1Q84 and some other Murakami stuff (Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World) I just finished this.. psychologically its fascinating and insightful.

seven-types-of-ambiguity.jpg

Edited by dacrow

11325011.jpg

Book seems to be catching an inordinate amount of flack for being too verbose. Kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Reminds me of White Noise post Airborne Toxic Event thus far.

135254914.JPG

Fun stuff. He opens with saying how uncomfortable he is with his non-fiction, and he really does seem to struggle with it. Seeing him put all this out there is pretty heartening though. I love his way of describing how batshit insane our world is.

Somewhat coincidentally, I finished The Corrections about a month ago, and I'm now about 300 pages into Gravity's Rainbow - really enjoying it so far, although I definitely have to fall into the cadence before anything makes sense.

Also, HBO is adapting The Corrections.

2posl55.png

A little more than halfway through this. I am compelled by H.H. as a character and the style of writing is elegant. I wish I understood the French dialogue.

great novel, the french dialogue for the most part is a reiteration of what is said in English.

Great short entertaining read, doesn't go how you would imagine a western about what in todays world are serial killers would go

ya. it felt just like a coen brothers movie to me. the mood was really similar to no country or true grit; same kind of businesslike, casual suffering and violence

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just bought some ayn rand books after hearing some more about her via the doco all watched over by machines of loving grace. so hopefully will get into those soon.

but currently all i have time to read is perscribed academic journal articles and texts :(

decidedly negative reaction to ayn rand though, might just be a "recent purchases" thing. what do people think about her writing?