what are you reading today?

almondcrush

just blood meridian and no country. i have the road sitting on my desk but everyone tells me to read it in one sitting and i just haven't found the time.

i'd do pretty horses next but i'm supposed to start reading Infinite Jest with a few good friends for a summer book club.

re-reading Tropic of Cancer again. I feel gravely uninspired and motionless in my life as of late, and, what with Miller being probably the most personally important literary figure I've ever read, I'm hoping it will inspire me once again, and fill me the intransigent spark of creativity it once did. </rant>

(it seriously is an awe-inspiring, horrifying, beautiful work of art. highly recommend it.)

tropic-of-cancer.jpg

just blood meridian and no country. i have the road sitting on my desk but everyone tells me to read it in one sitting and i just haven't found the time.

i'd do pretty horses next but i'm supposed to start reading Infinite Jest with a few good friends for a summer book club.

I have read Blood Meridian, and All the Pretty Horses which i really liked! the road is also on my list to read when i find the time....

currently though, interchanging between these two:

9780253214294_med.jpg

5108PHW65RL.jpg

He only wrote that one book because he was killed in a motorcycle accident like two days after it was published :(. it's based on his time at cornell and his travels in revolutionary cuba and around the united states. apparently he was also a talented folk singer. pynchon dedicated gravity's rainbow to him.

farina was awesome. earlier this year I read 'warlock' by oakley, the book that farina and pynchon started a 'micro cult' around. it's incredible, up there with blood meridian as one of the best westerns

product-796334.jpg

Just about finished re-reading the song of fire and ice series to prepare for the new once coming out in July, but I'll have 3 weeks before that and finishing, so looking for something a little more serious to dig into.

nice!!! did you watch the show? i just finished first season and contemplating getting into the books rather than waiting 12 months for the next season.

Maybe The Sunset Limited, too, because it's so short. Was presented as a play here, recently, but I missed it :(

Was made into a movie as well with Samuel Jackson and Tommy Lee Jones, I rather enjoyed it.

In one sitting is definitely the way to go with The Road. I started reading it in the afternoon and just didn't sleep that night cause I basically couldn't put it down.

Really wish I could have read No Country without having first seen the movie as well.

Currently reading The Nick Adams Stories since I found a copy laying around at school.

^how is that? i cant really read baudrillard because of his inflated rhetoric (much like most french philosophers). i mean, the whole simulacra thing is interesting and all, but dude takes it too far.

Agreed; it reads as if he knows he will be quoted. Like any thorough philosopher, Baudrillard has constructed his own vocabulary out of the knowledge he has generated. This is actually the first thing from him I've read but I didn't find it difficult to follow. The meanings of things are inferred easily enough, I think.

The only problem I had with it was his focus on the Western and the symbolic. He acknowledges this, but I still don't think that excuses him from some dangerous generalizations he makes about Islam. I don't mean they are dangerous in terms of their political correctness, but it doesn't appear to me that Baudrillard has any kind of understanding of Islam to be talking about it the way he does.

The rest of the book is pretty on point though, as far as the dynamics of power. I'd recommend giving it a read, it's only 100 or so pages long.