what are you reading today?

almondcrush

i know it's fashionable for most academics to make fun of fukuyama, but lately, with all the political revolutions in the middle-east, i cant help but feel that he is right in some way. interesting book though, even if you dont take him too seriously.

51MVE0VE5FL.jpg

"Hahahahahahahhahahahahah".

- Fukuyama, last.

Good buy, superbeveridge. I have a bunch of PKD and I find that even the worst of his books still feature an interesting idea. It's amazing how sporadically prolific he was, probably a result of his passion for stimulants.

Try to find the story he related to the police about someone blowing open his safe with explosives and then stealing his identity documents and manuscripts, it's unintentionally hilarious. At one point he considered the option that perhaps he himself blew open his safe and then forgot about it (although a motive was a little lacking). Definitely an "eccentric" guy.

His short stories are great and it's impressive how frequently they've been used as the source of inspiration for various Hollywood films. In most cases Dick's often brilliant concept is slaughtered wholesale to turn it into the usual Hollywood cash cow.

For those who like PKD and films, here is the short story to film list:

Minority Report (Minority Report)

Second Variety (Screamers)

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale (Total Recall)

Paycheck (Paycheck)

The Golden Man (Next)

Adjustment Team (The Adjustment Bureau)

Dick was definitely under-appreciated in his own time, probably because his ideas were too far ahead of their time.

superbev -- makes sense. i've only read a few PKD novels myself so i was curious. he's a wild read, sure you'll enjoy it.

if you like him, definitely do check out DADOES. it's the rough basis for Blade Runner, and it definitely got 're-imagined' in the adaptation. i think they're both amazing in their own ways, although maybe not everyone will agree with me on that...

an-intellectual-history-of-cannibalism-13158831.jpeg

Yuk yuk.

Used some writing by this author back in my university days. I was taking a fourth year course on Food and Consumption and wrote a paper on how cannibals are less based on reality and are used more as a representation of the dreadful "other". Good reading.

i picked up norwegian wood last week because i was on a small island and i had finished every book i packed, and it was the only title left in the lobby that i reconized. thank god it was in swedish so i can maintain my totally biased and unfounded hate. close call.