what are you reading today?

almondcrush

HSTs political stuff is hard to get into. his stlye/voice shines but its so specific to things i wasnt around to see, that its not all that rewarding.

its like reading a well written restaurant review to a place thats closed, youll never really know if youd agree or not. i mean, i guess its not like that because history is well documented and all, but i didnt find much of his campaign trail stuff very effective.

Into the Rain: Would rep you if I could on Robert Musil. One of the authors I like but most hate reading. The Confusions of Young Torless left me really dissatisfied in the best way. His writing is like a yawn that doesn't click that lets you keeping yawning these almost-rewarding yawns. That won't make sense to anyone but me, I bet...

These are a part of my birthday haul. I don't want to quit smoking and I'm already getting back into shape, so one of my new year's hopes is to build a better bookshelf steeze. ie replace all those ratty trades with decent firsts.

It partly stems from Christmas regret. I gave away my copy of Dreaming of Babylon to another person who loves it as much as I do.

5368425990_d978ee1438_z.jpg

Not yet man, I will keep you posted. I order so many books from Book Depository it's hard to keep track of them all. I'm about to have a fiction give away, if only you lived in Sydney! Who are some authors or styles of fiction that you like? I might make you a package...

rules.jpg

The movie always appealed to me so I read the book in like 2 days, couldnt put it down.

Cross post from another thread -contains some spoilers

The movie is like the book in a lot of ways but totally different in others.

There were a couple parts in the movie that didnt make sense to me. For example why Victor never remembered Lauren. Basically Lauren was obsessed with Victor, she just had it in her mind that she was his girlfriend and they had such a great relationship. In reality she was just a girl that Victor screwed a couple of times and he didn't even like her. In the beginning of the book Lauren actually gets gang banged lol.

In the book Sean is Rich but pretends to be poor. His dad is dying and his brother Patrick puts tonnes of money in his bank account but never spends a cent of it. That whole thing with owing the drug dealer money was just entertainment for him. Sean and Lauren actually get into a relationship and she gets pregnant and they get engaged. He starts to hate her and she has an abortion and they eventually break up. Funny part is when Sean is talking too one of his buddies about Lauren.

Sean "I really liked her"

friend "then why did you pay for the abortion"

Sean "I didnt like her that much"

Lauren never really liked Sean either. She was pretty much obsessed with Victor who barely even knew she existed.

The girl who killed herself played such a minor part in the book compared with the movie.

The Paul character was pretty much spot on.

Overall the book was amazing. I'm going to read American Psycho next.

ZERO HISTORY is amazing

i'm about 2/3rds in and i don't want this to end

GIBSON wrote this one for superfuture, obviously

here's hoping he doesn't lose the thread in the third act like SPOOK CUNTRY (or some other ghostcunt-like tendency)

hella late sauce on this one

but fuck

zero history was the best one ever by gibson.

underground japanese brands

ridiculous shit

so good.

i'm pretty sure gibson is a superfuturian. no joke.

Are YOU Gibson?!??! Seriously though, will have to check Zero History. Well aware of Gibson but only ever read Neuromancer (and loved it). The whole BR X WG thing, and producing garments described in his fiction, is some crazy next-level shit.

hella late sauce on this one

but fuck

zero history was the best one ever by gibson.

underground japanese brands

ridiculous shit

so good.

I remember denimdestroyedmylife pointed that out a while ago

skip to like 1:20

DtpfhB98ovA