what are you reading today?

almondcrush

can anyone comment on jim harrison or suggest any books by him?

I really savored his recent memoirs. Wolf is a pretty enjoyable read. You're tapping into some good shit here. I would recommend putting some James Crumley and Jonathan Miles on your list along with it.

Whoooooboy havent checked this thread in a minute but I do enjoy the discussion that I've missed. Sort of.

I picked up Lush Life on my way into work at 10pm. Its now 2:30 AM and since I've had nothing to work on (oh the exciting live of a UNIX engineer) I'm nearly done. I have a feeling I'll have dusted it off by the time my shifts over which means I can get something new on my way home. Where should I go next? Ive already read Clockers.

EDIT: And I swear to god If I see another Windup Bird post...

I picked up Lush Life on my way into work at 10pm. Its now 2:30 AM and since I've had nothing to work on (oh the exciting live of a UNIX engineer) I'm nearly done. I have a feeling I'll have dusted it off by the time my shifts over which means I can get something new on my way home. Where should I go next? Ive already read Clockers.

Bloodbrothers. Any Price should be fine, since he's got a style and sticks to it well, but that's what I'd gone to after following the same trajectory (Clockers and Lush Life) and I wasn't disappointed.

If you don't want to burn out on him, though, since two Price books in a row can be a bit overkill, I'd recommend Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby for a chance of pace. I hadn't read it until now. Totally different rhythm and style, but you'll see where Price spent his formative years, and for good reason.

Bloodbrothers. Any Price should be fine, since he's got a style and sticks to it well, but that's what I'd gone to after following the same trajectory (Clockers and Lush Life) and I wasn't disappointed.

If you don't want to burn out on him, though, since two Price books in a row can be a bit overkill, I'd recommend Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby for a chance of pace. I hadn't read it until now. Totally different rhythm and style, but you'll see where Price spent his formative years, and for good reason.

I picked up Last Exit to Brooklyn but I'm going to save it perhaps for next month. I thought it might be a good idea to step outside of New York, and indeed outside of the United Sates and took Baeyer-Drewson's advice by grabbing "Last Evenings On Earth". 2666 seems like a good read but I wanted something I could finish in 8 hours and since Last Evenings... is not only short it's a collection of 14 separate works by Bolano which felt like it might be the most proper introduction to the author.

My favorite stories were A Literary Adventure because It seemed like a good insite into the mind of modern day internet critic, Phone Calls, because I could relate and I also really enjoyed Anne Moores life simple for the humor in it being so easy to convince a woman to try prostitution. You know some pimps dont have to work that hard, just the suggestion is good enough.

So thanks for the recommendations, Im definitely going to read more Bolano and I'm positive Last Exit will turn out to be great.

Ktothe: when you're ready to get back into some NYC joints, scoop a copy of angry black whiteboy by Adam mansbach. It's like lush life but with a pretty intense black history and early 90s hip hop hard-on.

It was supposedly optioned for a film, but I hav'nt heard much about that in a while. It's like the nov York series but way more linear and readable for people who aren't rap nerds.

Ktothe: when you're ready to get back into some NYC joints, scoop a copy of angry black whiteboy by Adam mansbach. It's like lush life but with a pretty intense black history and early 90s hip hop hard-on.

It was supposedly optioned for a film, but I hav'nt heard much about that in a while. It's like the nov York series but way more linear and readable for people who aren't rap nerds.

How about a Los Angeles equivalent?

angry black whiteboy has an LA subplot. but im not so much up on any cali-specific lit aside form maybe brett easton ellis' the informers, less than zero or imperial bedrooms. not off hand anyway. im sure theres tonnes of stuff in a similar genre, i just havnt stumbled on it yet. unless you want to get into pulp or detective shit. in which case im still an ameteur but i know theres infinite material thats so quintessentially LA itll probably give bleach your asshole while you read it.

Well then I'll have to do some independant investigation. I'll get back to you with the results.

EDIT: also im curious, Baeyer-Drewson, after reading Bolano did you venture into Neruda? If so what did you think?

Well then I'll have to do some independant investigation. I'll get back to you with the results.

EDIT: also im curious, Baeyer-Drewson, after reading Bolano did you venture into Neruda? If so what did you think?

In my completely uninvited opinion, Neruda is worth reading because otherwise you'll have a big gap in your Big Bag of South American Lit. But as far as poetry goes, I think it's a bit romanticized. There's a lot of other Spanish language poetry I like over it. If you're looking for somewhere to go after Bolano, I'd recommend Cortazar. After you read Hopscotch you'll see where a lot of Savage Decetives is taking from, and it's a absolutely showstopping book.