what are you reading today?

almondcrush

baey: mao II is the only delillo ive had to put down. i cant even tell you how far i got into it because it was that unmemorable. i LOVE dellilo when hes shining, but i cant recall a single sentence from what i read of mao. i havnt exactly gotten into underworld yet because its so fucking daunting, but mao made me realize there might be a side to DD i cant fuck with. i hope you have better luck than i.

Agreed, again... I read like 270 pages of it and just thought, 'who wrote this?"

Underworld is awesome though. I really liked Point Omega too. Can't say which is my favorite...

Mao II << White Noise.

Will check Underworld, Libra, and Point Omega in the near future.

didn't read MAO II but i was kinda underwhelmed by White Noise

it was my first DeLillo, but it felt a bit too... overly clever.

Libra is awesome, though. It took me two tries to get through it (keep a list of characters) though. it is great to read that book in the age of the internet because you can consult youtube or like, google, after each chapter or so, to get a full sensory magic bullet to the dome.

i am reading Count Zero

funny to see how Gibson set the template for his future work in his first couple of novels

if by logical you mean completely predicated on anecdotal evidence, and unsubstantiated assumptions, then yeah, hes totally interesting.

gladwell's popularity alone defeats the point of reading him. if hes approachable enough for my aunt hilda to find value in his books, theres probably no real substance to it.

if by logical you mean completely predicated on anecdotal evidence, and unsubstantiated assumptions, then yeah, hes totally interesting.

gladwell's popularity alone defeats the point of reading him. if hes approachable enough for my aunt hilda to find value in his books, theres probably no real substance to it.

Elitist much? Just when did a book have to be obscure for it to have value? I'm not looking for some unshakably definitve answer when reading popular science, so it's not hard to appreciate the anecodtes. They are a lot more fun to read about than statistics.

Why the negativity when someone like Gladwell comes along and offers something that can engage people easily and challenge their perceptions a little? Aunt Hilda included.

because in order for him to be engaging on the level of moving the rediculous units he sells, he has to dumb down his approach so far that it becomes like your uncle telling you how he was abducted by a UFO and had a tracking device rectally inserted so they could watch over him.

its cultural anthropology lite. the oprah crowd can now claim they are on the cusp of social science. woot!

^That book is hilarious. I loved every minute.

I have since read Ludmilla's Broken English (less good, but readable), and I'm currently reading Lights Out In Wonderland (less good than either, less funny than either). Brilliant author if you judge only by Vernon, but I think he might be the M. Night Shyamalan of the literary world.

didn't read MAO II but i was kinda underwhelmed by White Noise

it was my first DeLillo, but it felt a bit too... overly clever.

Libra is awesome, though. It took me two tries to get through it (keep a list of characters) though. it is great to read that book in the age of the internet because you can consult youtube or like, google, after each chapter or so, to get a full sensory magic bullet to the dome.

i am reading Count Zero

funny to see how Gibson set the template for his future work in his first couple of novels

i'm reading mao ii right now and i think i like it more than white noise. i don't know yet though (valuable insight right)

i also finished you don't love me yet by jonathan lethem earlier today. it's pretty good i guess. really quick read and not as interesting as the other things i've read by him

sean the best think about you dont love me yet were the convos between the young girl and the old guy on the phone. and then how they became the lyrics. other than that, it was pretty average for letham. did you read fortress yet? thats probably my favorite. i couldnt fuck with mao. i think i liked cosmopolis most for delillo, then maybe great jones street. white noise and falling man were too safe in terms of content. i think delillo is sharpest at his edgiest. still waiting til im ready to tackle underworld.

^That book is hilarious. I loved every minute.

I have since read Ludmilla's Broken English (less good, but readable), and I'm currently reading Lights Out In Wonderland (less good than either, less funny than either). Brilliant author if you judge only by Vernon, but I think he might be the M. Night Shyamalan of the literary world.

thx for this review Dr B-D, I read Vernon God Little years ago and loved it and have been wondering whether or not to pick up his other works. The premise for Ludmilla still looks pretty good so I may check that out when I have some more time.