what are you reading today?

almondcrush

x

esq-big-black-book-fall-2010-cover-100110-msc.jpg

i rushed out to get this only to be let down

now:

considerthelobster.jpg

i'd read Up, Simba before (the compressed Rolling Stone version) but the full essay is like, 70 pages. every time i read about his description of John McCain's whole deal in Vietnam (getting shot down, breaking is leg and both arms upon ejecting from the plane, the late-opening parachute, getting his shoulder crushed with a rifle butt, getting bayoneted in the groin (!) and then getting the broken bones reset without anesthesia, spending four years in the hanoi hilton after refusing an early release to uphold a fucking code about the release of prisoners in the order of their capture) it blows my fucking mind.

i am still fucked up at his loss

but i guess he wrote more in his brief life than say, a Harper Lee (that's the only consolation i can muster)

oh, and these essays prompted me to pick up Garner's Modern American Usage (DFW's assessment of Garner's ADMAU was thrilling for anyone with even a passing interest in prescriptive/descriptive grammar)

i am reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King

i've tried reading him before* but it's like trying to get a dog in a bathtub

hard not to throw the book across the room

trying to figure out why people like the fucker

* i got three pages into the gunslinger on my first go-round but i my dick went soft

I quit reading lush life. There are too many good books to waste time reading a bad one.Now onto this :)

this statement leads me to beleive that you wouldnt know what a good book is if it was beating you to death with a bloody rubber dildo.

I made this list of books to read;

Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood

Richard Price - Lush Life

William Gibson - Virtual Light

William Gibson – Idoru

William Gibson – All Tomorrows Parties

William Gibson – Spook Country

William Gibson - Zero history

Chuck Palahniuk – Pygmy

Chuck Palahniuk – Snuff

Chuck Palahniuk – Rant

Aldous Huxley - Brave New World

Jonathan Franzen - Freedom

Roberto Bolano - 2666

Alan Watts – This Is It

I'm currently reading Pattern Recognition for a second time before I start Zero History

this statement leads me to beleive that you wouldnt know what a good book is if it was beating you to death with a bloody rubber dildo.
Lucky for you I have disseminated my daily allotment of rep, otherwise you would be getting the shit negged out of your post.

bring it on:cool:

I should have worded that differently. It wasn't bad, I just wasn't enjoying it. Part of it was probably that I didn't want to read anything that long while school is going on. I'm going to pick it back up over break.

I made this list of books to read

I'll save you several irrecoverable hours of your life. Read Snuff if you need some Palahniuk, but skip Rant and Pygmy. Chuck is a one-trick pony. If you haven't read any of his stuff yet, then I'd really only recommend Invisible Monsters or Fight Club.